Dental Care for kids

gaz n family

What is the set-up down under for dental care with children of parents with permanent visas?

Both my kids have braces in and we were hoping that their treatment would be completed by the time it came to the big move. I talked this over with their Orthodontist a couple of days ago and she told me that their treatment needs to go on for at least 1 more year.

How can we ensure they get the right treatment for them when we get there?

Are they entitled to free treatment being kids?

Does this free treatment cover Braces?

And, if you wouldnt mind, any other tips you might think of.

Thanks in advance.

Free dental vans come to schools plus teenager are given free yearly dental voucher. These schemes are for general dental and you would have to pay for orthodontistry....only private insurance partially covers this.

Eye tests are free btw and health problems can be sorted on free Medicare.

Guest Guest31881

I think dental care is free for children, but that does not cover orthodontics and braces have to be paid for. As Boganbear said it is expensive here as it is not covered by the medicare system. You can take out insurance to cover the basic costs.

Guest chris_mac

Hi

Dental care is not free for anyone including kids. Each child gets a $159.00 voucher per year and that's it. In terms of private health care you can receive unto 75% back but most of the private health packages have a 12 month waiting clause before you can claim. Medical care is free subject to bulk billing, some practices do nor bulk bill and charge per consultation period (visit to the drs) of $60 which unto 75% is refundable there and then if you have a Medicare card.

Best wishes

Chris

Hi

As the others have said the school dentist provides free treatment for kids,, check up, fillings etc . If the dentist isn't based at your kids school (its a moible van) you can ring them and make an appoitment to go and see them at the school they are currently based.

With the braces make sure you shop around as private dentists (which you would have to use) vary greatly in price.

Hope this helps a little

Cal x

Hi

Dental care is not free for anyone including kids. Each child gets a $159.00 voucher per year and that's it. In terms of private health care you can receive unto 75% back but most of the private health packages have a 12 month waiting clause before you can claim. Medical care is free subject to bulk billing, some practices do nor bulk bill and charge per consultation period (visit to the drs) of $60 which unto 75% is refundable there and then if you have a Medicare card.

Best wishes

Chris

There is the also the free dental van in many places.

Guest chris_mac
There is the also the free dental van in many places.

Never heard of that? Must not be available in Caloundra.

Guest siamsusie

Cost Information For Tasmania

Dental examinations for children from birth up to 18 years of age are free.

The dental treatment required following the examination will be free if your child is:

• Covered by a Health Care Card;
  • Eligible for assistance under the Department of Education's Assistance Scheme;
  • Attending kindergarten;
  • Under school age (0-5).

For all other children a co-payment (subsidised fee) of $50 is charged for general dental treatment for a twelve month period. All children receiving dental treatment outside general treatment guidelines, including orthodontic extractions, will incur a co-payment.

All depends which state you go to - no free child dental in ACT, they closed all the clinics decades ago.

Orthodontics, budget about $6k per kid and dont expect the Aus orthodontist to just continue with the care especially if the braces are still on - they will want to whip them off and put their own braces on because they dont want (understandably) to end up being accountable for other peoples' work. You can get a bit back from private health insurance, assuming they dont already have the orthodontic treatment started. You can also claim it as a rebate in your tax return but you will still be quite a bit out of pocket.

Only pensioners get care at the Community Health Centres in Victoria and if they are under 80 can be a long wait.

My son's orthodontic work costs thousands. Also had to pay a couple of grand for him to have his wisdom teeth out in hospital.

School dentist available here until the age of 16 (despite my daughter still being in FT education). She needed braces here and it cost $4,000. She had them removed about 2 years ago, but still wears a retainer and had 6 monthly call backs.

Guest Magnetic6

Just to give you an idea my son's braces are going to cost $7000. I'm afraid you have to just bite the bullett with this one. It makes you wonder why people are so quick to slag off the NHS.

Dentists usually give you a quote for orthodontic work. Not everyone is satisfied with the work done for their children so its worth checking very thoroughly who you get to do the work. I was completely happy but I probably paid more than others and probably still do.

Just to give you an idea my son's braces are going to cost $7000. I'm afraid you have to just bite the bullett with this one. It makes you wonder why people are so quick to slag off the NHS.

In the UK we were told that my daughter would be referred for braces but there was a possiblility it wouldn't be provided by the NHS. The referral was made and after 12 months she still hadn't been seen, we rang to cancel (as by that time we were moving to Aus) and they said it would have been another 6 months anyway.

Here my daughter saw the school dentist who said "she needs a brace" ... gave us a list of orthodontists, we chose one locally - he saw her the week after, sent her for x-rays, she opted for having 2 teeth removed to make room for her teeth being straightened ... within 4 weeks of seeing the school dentist she had her braces fitted. We had the choice of paying up front or a monthly plan. The difference just having the braces made to her confidence was amazing, she had a colour change every month and looked forward to going. She's got the most beautiful smile and the confidence to use it ... so it was well worth the money. The cost, included complet aftercare - as I said she's still being seen and we haven't had to pay anymore.

What is the set-up down under for dental care with children of parents with permanent visas?

Both my kids have braces in and we were hoping that their treatment would be completed by the time it came to the big move. I talked this over with their Orthodontist a couple of days ago and she told me that their treatment needs to go on for at least 1 more year.

How can we ensure they get the right treatment for them when we get there?

Are they entitled to free treatment being kids?

Does this free treatment cover Braces?

And, if you wouldnt mind, any other tips you might think of.

Thanks in advance.

No matter what you do orthodontic work will cost you an arm and a leg, possibly both legs.

Never heard of that? Must not be available in Caloundra.

Maybe they manage delivery of the free school service differently in some areas.

Here's the details for Caloundra:

Caloundra Oral Health Services (including School Dental Services) West Terrace Caloundra Qld 4551

West Terrace Caloundra

General and emergency adult dental care and provision for dentures for eligible adults.General and emeregency dental care for children - age 4 - Year 10, provided primarily through the School Oral Health Service at various school locations in the Caloun

4 surgeries.

1300 300 850

(07) 5436 8801

Qld as a whole: http://www.health.qld.gov.au/oralhealth/documents/hsd_contacts_1210.pdf

• 2 years later...

Archived