2 questions-skills assessment and leaving uae

chiara

Hi

So we need to do the skilled assessment for hubby. It says on engineers australia website that it may take 16 weeks...has anyone had their documents assessed by this body and if so, did it really take that long?

Second question, regarding the police report, how exactly does it work? The reason I ask is that in the UAE, where we are currently living, having an outstanding debt - car, credit card etc... is considered illegal if you move away, even if you intend to repay the amount after you have left. We have a couple of debts here which will take 2 years to repay. I feel we'll be in a catch 22 situation as if we want to leave before the debts are repaid, my husband could be imprisoned, despite the fact that we intend to keep on paying them. Also, if I go to the police here to get a police report, the police may see the outstanding debt and decide that we are about to abscond. It's a bit tricky. The fact that my husbands job here is so unsafe (not being paid etc...) means we don't really have a choice but to try and leave as soon as possible.

Any advice?

Julie, it's Ireland. We've been in the UAE for almost 3 years and things are getting worse, hubby not being paid etc.. so we really need out of here but as you know, owing money is not allowed before leaving, which, if I was going back to Ireland wouldn't worry me, I'd just continue to pay from there, but if I need a police report I'm really not sure how to approach it...