Visa Granted - How long have I got

kateNollie

Hi love,

An application for the Spouse/Partner visa is a two stages application. Initially a temporary Spouse/Partner visa will be granted and will be valid for two years from the date of application. After this time, your relationship must be continual and if assessed to be genuine, you will be granted a permanent Spouse/Partner visa. Only one application form and one application fee is required to complete this two stage application.

Successful applicants and holders of a permanent Australian Spouse/Partner visa become permanent residents of Australia. As a permanent resident, you are entitled to live, work and study in Australia on a permanent basis. When you are granted permanent residence, a visa label is placed in your passport as proof of your permanent residence status.

Additional benefits of Australian permanent residence include access to government-subsidised healthcare (Medicare), certain social security benefits and the ability to apply for Australian citizenship.

I hope this helps :)

Hi

If you are granted a subclass 100 partner visa then you will receive a permanent resident visa but if you are granted a subclass 309 visa it will be a temp visa for 2 years and then the 2nd stage if successful will grant you PR. PR visas are valid for 5 years. You will be given a date that you have to validate your visa.

Good Luck

Emma

It does help but Im really after how long does the visa last whilst I still live in the UK.

So once they say YES to the emigration, how long have I got to emigrate before they say that I have missed my chance and have to apply again.

When your visa is granted, you will be given a last entry date and you must enter Australia to validate your visa before that date. The last entry date is usually 12 months after the date of your medical or first PCC, whichever was earliest. If you're not ready to move permanently before your entry date, you can come for only a short time (simply clearing immigration is long enough) and then leave the country again.

Keep in mind though that as far as DIAC are concerned, partners live together and I'm not sure how they will take it if you stay away from your partner for too long. Your initial Partner visa will be temporary for roughly 2 years from the date you applied for it and you will have to be living together when the time comes for your visa to become permanent.

This is what it says on the DIAC website. To summarise you will be given a date by which you must enter Oz and this is usually one year from your police/medical check (whichever is the soonest) as they are only valid for 1 year.

Visa decision

If the visa is approved, you will receive a letter from the department providing:

• your Visa Grant Number
  • the validity date of the visa
  • the visa conditions (including a specified initial entry date)
  • full details of what you must do next.

If the visa is not approved, you will receive a letter advising:

• the reasons for the refusal decision
  • if eligible, your review rights
  • the time limit for lodging an appeal.

Initial entry date to Australia

The department will advise you of the date you are required to enter Australia (your initial entry date) at the time of visa grant. Your initial entry date is usually the same as the expiry date for the validity of either your health or character checks, whichever is the earlier.

If you do not enter Australia by the initial entry date, your Partner visa may be cancelled.

If before your Partner visa is granted, you advise the department that you will not have sufficient time to reasonably finalise your affairs and make the necessary travel arrangements, the department may consider changing your initial entry date to a later date.

Note: In these circumstances, you may need to undergo new health and / or character checks before you can be granted your Partner visa.

• 1 month later...

Hi Kate,

Did you find out if you are able to validate your partner visa by entering for a holiday and then leaving again? I will be in a similar situation if I have a partner visa granted, as may not be ready financially to move at the point my meds/police check expire, but could come and validate the visa and then move here permanently a few months after that.

Every time I think I have this de facto thing sussed, I seem to come up with more questions about it!

You only need to go through Australian immigration before your validity date and you can stay for as short a time as you wish - if you wish, you can catch the next plane out. Many people come on a short 'validation trip' for a couple of weeks and then go back to their home country to settle their affairs.

If the visa you are validating is a permanent visa, it provides unrestricted re-entry rights to Australia for 5 years from the visa grant date - the date will be on your grant letter.

A temporary visa will also have a validity date, but I'm not sure what that will be in the case of a temporary Partner visa but I'm sure it would be at least a couple of years.