what shift patterns do WA nurses work ?

Dawn75

Hi, Im hoping to do my degree in nursing next yr at Edith Cowan Uni and I asked them about shift patterns for students on placements . They were very helpful and listed each semester, and shifts offered but didnt give actual times.

They only said- Day shift, AM shift and PM shift and All Shifts. :spinny:

Can any WA nurses shed any light on start and finish times for shifts ?! Only as I have been discussing the course req with my hubby and we wanted to know if we will need childcare etc.

Thank you.

Dawn :smile:

Guest guest17301

Hi Dawn,

I can only speak for my own experience but I had ECU students at Royal Perth and they were expected to work the shift pattern of the preceptor so earlies 7-3.30, lates 1-9.30 and nights 9.15-7.15 am. Obviously the flexibility of each ward is up to them, I for one couldn't see the benefit in nursing students working every weekend if that's what the preceptor did, more going on generally during the week.

Bear in mind nursing education is quite different in Australia in terms of the time spent in 'practice'. make every opportunity to be 'in practice' as ECU students seem to get even less than some of the other unis and are therefore less 'prepared' for the realiy of work on the wards.

Good luck.

Hi, Im hoping to do my degree in nursing next yr at Edith Cowan Uni and I asked them about shift patterns for students on placements . They were very helpful and listed each semester, and shifts offered but didnt give actual times.

They only said- Day shift, AM shift and PM shift and All Shifts. :spinny:

Can any WA nurses shed any light on start and finish times for shifts ?! Only as I have been discussing the course req with my hubby and we wanted to know if we will need childcare etc.

Thank you.

Dawn

OH (mad cow on here and literally lol) works nites regular but there method in her madness. Days 730 -330 , arvos 1-9 weekends they ring you on arvo and ask you on days if you want to do 2-2 2pm finish and start, oh does 9 while 730 am nites mon to wed one week and mon to thur week after , and all weekends off :jiggy:for her :sad: for me lol

This is at charlies and the start and finish times on days and arvos mite be slightly different I cant remember when she last did them lol

Mlly

Guest The Ropey HOFF
OH (mad cow on here and literally lol) works nites regular but there method in her madness. Days 730 -330 , arvos 1-9 weekends they ring you on arvo and ask you on days if you want to do 2-2 2pm finish and start, oh does 9 while 730 am nites mon to wed one week and mon to thur week after , and all weekends off :jiggy:for her :sad: for me lol

This is at charlies and the start and finish times on days and arvos mite be slightly different I cant remember when she last did them lol

Mlly

Hi yorkshirepom,

my wife Helen is interested in 2 or 3 nights a week as a senior nurse with 25 years experience. could you tell me what sort of money would she get for a night shift and do you have to be employed by the hospital, on a contract, or can you go with an agency.

cheers jim

Hi yorkshirepom,

my wife Helen is interested in 2 or 3 nights a week as a senior nurse with 25 years experience. could you tell me what sort of money would she get for a night shift and do you have to be employed by the hospital, on a contract, or can you go with an agency.

cheers jim

Shes employed by the hospital jim , I know they have agency ,but with the cuts they (mr Barnetts 3%) they tried to cut agency altogether , not sure per shift but they get 35 % penalty , more at weekends etc , so our lass oes a 4 and 3 used to do 4 all the time but with the pay cut it was negligible and she just a lot of wot they accrued days off . I can say i worked it out 8 neets a fortneet mon to thurs equates to a fortneet on days and arvos workin both weekends , money is far better than what she was on in the uk

Mally

We too found that with the cuts that agency staff were used less frequently by the hospital I worked at. To answer the OP, most hospitals will require you to work shifts as a student, although I'm not sure that you have to do night duty. Either way, unless your partner has a flexible work pattern you'll probably need child care as you probably won't have to do many weekends and therefore either be in Uni full time, or on prac

Archived