How can you emigrate to Australia if your job isn't on the wanted list?

Guest mrsminkie

Guest mrsminkie

I've been doing lots of research into this recently and I fear that I actually couldn't get into Australia. I have a masters degree in Mechanical Engineering, but I didn't use my degree and went into Construction as a planner for 5 years. I left this position in March 08 to have my daughter and didn't find work in the industry again due to the recession. I have since set up a successful company with 2 other people and have been doing that for almost 12 months. Based on this, I don't think I can get in on a skilled migrants visa. Are there any other options available to me? I was considering training as a teacher, but I'd need to do a year PGCE and then gain experience which would mean us not being able to emigrate for at least a few years. My husband isn't qualified in anything (a BTEC at college in IT) and has not worked for over 12 months due to losing his job in construction due to the downturn in the industry.

Any help would be gratefully received as I'm really starting to think that our dream isn't achieveable

Lorraine

Best advice I could offer you would be to speak to several migration agents and discuss your options with them. They will all offer free advice over the phone.

We thought all options were closed to us, but then managed to find an agent who knew the best way of getting us through the paperwork stage - but it took many weeks and around 10 phone calls/emails to various agents until we got there!

Don't give up - good luck!!

Guest mrsminkie

Thanks for your reply. Do you mind telling me on what grounds you were able to emmigrate?

thanks

Lorraine

Guest mrsminkie

Thanks. i take it you found work when you got out there? it worries me to do that seeing as there seems to be a downturn in most industries across the world. Hubby is planning on taking a course in construction. he's worked in the industry for years but never got any formal qualifications. So while he's out of work he's going to study. however, it's a 2 year course which means we're stuck here, plus it doesn't guarantee him a job at the end of it anyway. I'm worried that the wanted jobs list will be completely different in a few years.

Archived