• Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Construction work in Australia

Title
      Liked
      37 times
      Rep

Construction work in Australia

If you are thinking of coming to OZ and are in the construction industry, here is my honest view on the situation first hand.
      This is based on Perth and Brisbane, But I understand Sydney and WA are the same

Painters: Lots and lots of painters out of work. ( If you want to know why this is I will tell you)

Ground workers: Nothing to start, unless you can find the odd swimming pool. No road work jobs either.

Roofers: No roofing jobs, May find the odd domestic roof, But up against a lot of other quotes.

Bricklayers: Very hard to find work, lucky if you get 2 days per week.

Carpenters: Very hard to find work, Lucky if you get 2 days per week.

All types of plasterers: Seems to be work at the moment, but will go the same way as bricklayers.

Plumbers: Work out there, but will need to retrain, could start to go tight tho.

Electricians: Work available, but will need to retrain.

Wall and floor tillers: The best trade for finding work, seems too be plenty going on due too domestic work.
      Last edited by bowbrum03; 20-02-2009 at 09:07 AM.
      brooksey and hungadunga like this.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1102 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by bowbrum03 View Post
      If you are thinking of coming to OZ and are in the construction industry, here is my honest view on the situation first hand.
      This is based on Perth and Brisbane, But I understand Sydney and WA are the same

Painters: Lots and lots of painters out of work. ( If you want to know why this is I will tell you)

Ground workers: Nothing to start, unless you can find the odd swimming pool. No road work jobs either.

Roofers: No roofing jobs, May find the odd domestic roof, But up against a lot of other quotes.

Bricklayers: Very hard to find work, lucky if you get 2 days per week.

Carpenters: Very hard to find work, Lucky I you get 2 days per week.

All types of plasterers: Seems to be work at the moment, but will go the same way as bricklayers.

Plumbers: Work out there, but will need to retrain, could start to go tight tho.

Electricians: Work available, but will need to retrain.

Wall and floor tillers: The best trade for finding work, seems too be plenty going on due too domestic work.

THE END OF THE WORLD IS NEAR .
      STAY WHERE YOU ARE ,oh sorry same as uk .

eddie

You will never know if you dont give it ago.
      Work is hard to find ,yes thats true.
      Am sure it,s hard all over the world at the mo.

:idea:
      cornwall the bit down south ,near the end of land to sea

Title
      Liked
      37 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by eddie&tina View Post
      THE END OF THE WORLD IS NEAR .
      STAY WHERE YOU ARE ,oh sorry same as uk .

eddie

You will never know if you dont give it ago.
      Work is hard to find ,yes thats true.
      Am sure it,s hard all over the world at the mo.

:idea:
      Whatís the point of giving it a go when you canít find work.
      As you have said and found out, work is very hard too find.

You spend thousands selling up and coming too OZ, and when you get here no work and your savings have gone.
      The best time to come is when the dust has settled.
      I have seen posts on here that people are going back because they canít find work. A little expensive just to try it out

Title
      1/2 a purple people eater
      Liked
      2363 times
      Rep

You spend thousands selling up and coming too OZ, and when you get here no work and your savings have gone.
      I have seen posts on here that people are going back because they canít find work. A little expensive just to try it out
      Theres **** all in the uk and a **** load of slavs undercutting, same **** shinier shovel , if its that bad here go back.
      Here at last
      SUFC life not a pastime
      I limit myself to 2 drinks a day, I`m now 10 years in front make that 15

Title
      director chicken clickers
      Liked
      76 times
      Rep
      i am so glad we have not gone yet as hubby a brickie and at least he has work going at the mo but if we had sold our house when we wanted to say 6 months ago would have been finding it very hard, at least this way we can try to save in the mean time do our house up a bit more put back on market then go once jobs start to pick up again.

we have 4yrs to get there and i am sure things will sort themselfs out in that time ........

julie
      13th feb got visa's:136pr (bricklayer)
      perth here we come:
      still not sold house:

Title
      Loony leftie republican..
      Liked
      25706 times
      Rep

well im validating april/may, been told theres still work for brickies in adelaide but its slowing down,deffo not going over while all this is going on,then again im wondering now if its worth going at all if it takes a cpl of years to pick up, i cant risk our equity chasing a dream if theres no work,eddie is right in one way,but at least ive got contacts here,got work in perth if i want but dont fancy perth tbh
      "The problem with neo conservative capitalism and it's insatiable greed for more wealth and disparity amongst the populace,is that it ended up being the catalyst for the great depression and modern recession"

Me,tonight

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      379 times
      Rep
      So Eddie what do you reckon...my hubby is a groundworker and has been for 25 years,he does all sorts, block paving, kerb laying, drainage and has a ticket for driving machines (large and small) up until 4/5 months ago he was being told no prob you'll find work. we are heading to Rockingham/Mandurah (south of perth). My Aunt who has lived their all her life still insists there are jobs about and that we won't struggle. I work in admin and reception at a private hospital so push comes to shove I can work full time and he can look after the kids!!!

Do you think we are mad to give up all we have here and head for Australia (I was born in Perth-so returning home!). We really are not bothered about starting from scratch - we haven't got much here anyway!!

You honest opinion would be nice.

Sue
      Sue (44) Steve (51) Scott (17) Bradley (9) Sophie (5)
      Jake - Little Ozzie Angel
      Spouse visa (PR) granted 17.4.09. In Secret Harbour 29.4.09..loving it!!!!!

Title
      Liked
      2363 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by The Yuills View Post
      So Eddie what do you reckon...my hubby is a groundworker and has been for 25 years,he does all sorts, block paving, kerb laying, drainage and has a ticket for driving machines (large and small) up until 4/5 months ago he was being told no prob you'll find work. we are heading to Rockingham/Mandurah (south of perth). My Aunt who has lived their all her life still insists there are jobs about and that we won't struggle. I work in admin and reception at a private hospital so push comes to shove I can work full time and he can look after the kids!!!

Do you think we are mad to give up all we have here and head for Australia (I was born in Perth-so returning home!). We really are not bothered about starting from scratch - we haven't got much here anyway!!

You honest opinion would be nice.

Sue
      How olds your aunt , admin work slow , as you should know construction is different here to the uk one builder buils an estate , here you buy your block and pick your builder. i have heard that new builds are being built a lot better with the slump less rush . On the plus side there are loads of flat blocks for a better term ( un built ) but how much work I dont know
      The Yuills likes this.
      Here at last
      SUFC life not a pastime

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      379 times
      Rep
      Thanks for that..I think it is going to be pretty much as we have expected. may aunt is in her 50's plus as you say building is different out in OZ than here. I had to try and explain what a ground worker does!!! My uncle would be a better option to speak to (he did building for a number of years) but he is battling stomach cancer at the moment so I don't feel right asking him any questions.

I think we will take the plunge (too late now really as house is sold) we are both prepared to do whatever work wise (well nearly anything!!!)

Thanks for your reply.

Sue
      Sue (44) Steve (51) Scott (17) Bradley (9) Sophie (5)
      Jake - Little Ozzie Angel
      Spouse visa (PR) granted 17.4.09. In Secret Harbour 29.4.09..loving it!!!!!

Title
      Liked
      2363 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by The Yuills View Post
      Thanks for that..I think it is going to be pretty much as we have expected. may aunt is in her 50's plus as you say building is different out in OZ than here. I had to try and explain what a ground worker does!!! My uncle would be a better option to speak to (he did building for a number of years) but he is battling stomach cancer at the moment so I don't feel right asking him any questions.

I think we will take the plunge (too late now really as house is sold) we are both prepared to do whatever work wise (well nearly anything!!!)

Thanks for your reply.

Sue
      Sorry for all that but ground workers , dont take it as kosher but I think they are in demand here still seen a couple of job ads ,I`m just an over academically qualified oik . Go for it you know the score , you will gwet a job easy as you are a aussie . Excuse the typin I have no glasses . beer boggles and fat fingers ,where in the big sand pit are your rellies we are in Kallaroo at the mo

Mally
      Here at last
      SUFC life not a pastime

•  
    Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast