Work advice - Construction

Guest Mark2049

Guest Mark2049

Hello all, my name is Mark.

My girlfriend and I arrived in Melbourne last week on Permanent residency visas after two years planning. So first things first we are very excited to be here and can’t wait to get our new lives cracking on!

Before arriving I was well aware of the financial situation taking hold of the world including Australia, since arriving I’ve found my particular job to be in very small demand. I work in the construction industry as a Design Coordinator, due to the economic down turn most projects are on hold or main contractors have frozen any staff recruitment. Since I’ve arrived I’ve registered with two agencies, Hayes and Hill McGlynn (both of which in a round about way told me not to hold my breath). As a previous Architectural technician I may have to resort going back to the CAD station.

Looking at the situation and searching on numerous job sites hasn’t really filled me with any confidence. I’m probably going down the correct and only routes but Id hate to think that I’ve missed / not thought of something. Can anyone (possibly working in the industry) offer any advice?

Cheers guys!

Mark

hi mark... really sorry to hear.. your having no luck on the job front, don't give up !!! i really hope things improve from you... stay positive:idea:

Hello all, my name is Mark.

My girlfriend and I arrived in Melbourne last week on Permanent residency visas after two years planning. So first things first we are very excited to be here and can’t wait to get our new lives cracking on!

Before arriving I was well aware of the financial situation taking hold of the world including Australia, since arriving I’ve found my particular job to be in very small demand. I work in the construction industry as a Design Coordinator, due to the economic down turn most projects are on hold or main contractors have frozen any staff recruitment. Since I’ve arrived I’ve registered with two agencies, Hayes and Hill McGlynn (both of which in a round about way told me not to hold my breath). As a previous Architectural technician I may have to resort going back to the CAD station.

Looking at the situation and searching on numerous job sites hasn’t really filled me with any confidence. I’m probably going down the correct and only routes but Id hate to think that I’ve missed / not thought of something. Can anyone (possibly working in the industry) offer any advice?

Cheers guys!

Mark

Guest Mark2049

Cheers Jane

Ta for the support.

Youre right though Ill just keep ploughing along, its real early days. At least Ive got some time to enjoy the sunshine I suppose.

Mark

Guest wiccanwitch

hi mark

we are in the same boat as you we are finding it very hard on the job front

my OH is a cable layer/construction plant op

and he hasnt found any work as yet

and i know it really does get you down somtimes

but think positive and stay positive

GOOD LUCK MARK:smile:

Don't worry mate there are many of us in the same boat, I'm a plasterer can't get nothing at the mo, luckily the wife's employed so she's keeping me in beer tokens, something should turn up it always does, better to be unemployed in a nice hot country with some job prospects than a freezing cold one with none at all. If you have particular skills to your job, why not consider teaching, TAFE are always looking out for people to train students, good pay and shed load of holidays to boot?

Just like to say your not alone....

Archived