Electrical Licensing! Quickest way? Can I get more than a restricted license?

ozzy81uk

Hi Everyone,

Calling all electricians and Instrument fitters!

Im planning on moving to Queensland next summer and this license thing sounds like a nightmare!

Im an Instrument & Electrical Technician by trade but have been working the last two years as a commissioning and maintenance electrician in Germany.

Got my ARTC already and been classed as an Electrical Fitter (Instruments), which from what I've read only qualifys me for a restricted license. So I wouldnt be able to do any of the elctrical work I do know, which restricts my employment opportunities!

Ive heard a few times that applying for a license in SA is the easiest and quickest way. However with this ARTC, I can probably only get the restricted license no matter where I apply??

Does anyone know if I can still get a full license and if so what do I have to do?

How can I do this quickly? and what can be prepared from Germany/UK?

If I can only get a restricted license, should I still go through SA and what is the exact process, the SA websites etc seem to provide little info on the exact procedure. HELP! Do I just need the ARTC or do I need resus course and wiring regs etc?

The Queensland route seems to be out of the question with training permits and logbooks and all sorts of bureaucracy. Can't afford to be messing around for months, want to get working, and need to get the best license I can!

I was told the only way to get a electrical mechanic license would be to do an apprenticeship in Australia, which would be obsurd!

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks guys

Danny

Guest Count Zero
Hi Everyone,

Calling all electricians and Instrument fitters!

Im planning on moving to Queensland next summer and this license thing sounds like a nightmare!

Im an Instrument & Electrical Technician by trade but have been working the last two years as a commissioning and maintenance electrician in Germany.

Got my ARTC already and been classed as an Electrical Fitter (Instruments), which from what I've read only qualifys me for a restricted license. So I wouldnt be able to do any of the elctrical work I do know, which restricts my employment opportunities!

Ive heard a few times that applying for a license in SA is the easiest and quickest way. However with this ARTC, I can probably only get the restricted license no matter where I apply??

Does anyone know if I can still get a full license and if so what do I have to do?

How can I do this quickly? and what can be prepared from Germany/UK?

If I can only get a restricted license, should I still go through SA and what is the exact process, the SA websites etc seem to provide little info on the exact procedure. HELP! Do I just need the ARTC or do I need resus course and wiring regs etc?

The Queensland route seems to be out of the question with training permits and logbooks and all sorts of bureaucracy. Can't afford to be messing around for months, want to get working, and need to get the best license I can!

I was told the only way to get a electrical mechanic license would be to do an apprenticeship in Australia, which would be obsurd!

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks guys

Danny

You can still do service work and work as an instrument tech and I have seen a few jobs for these lately. You can't install fixed power systems so forget house re-wires etc. Its crazy, I worked with guys with a fraction of the experience I have but they could wire a house and I couldn't, not even my own!

I was in QLD so I don't know what its like else where.

Good luck.

Guest leeob77

tricky one this. cant see a way to getting a full license in a quick way to be honest. im going through SA because of the speed but my artc is electrical fitter - not electrical fitter (instruments). might be worth sending an email to the licensing authority and explain the situation. only thing i can think of is doing a course at a tafe college but im only guessing to be honest.

have a look on seek.com.au to see if there are any jobs in your field and see what licenses they are asking for?

good luck anyway.

lee.

As a general rule you must do a four year electricians apprenticeship or a four year electrical engineering degree to get an unrestricted licence.

The restricted licence is for fitters, electronics technicians, service technicians and plumbers to disconnect/reconnect for servicing or replacement of "like for like" electrical equipment only.

Notwithstanding your obvious frustration its a very good system. At a previous place I worked at an electronics guy (a migrant) was doing power electrical work. He was only licenced to do restricted electrical (same as me). The work he was doing was very dodgy - simply didn't comply with AS3000 and I'm not fully conversant with the standard. I'm sure he "felt" he was sufficiently competant?

Some of his work was potentially lethal. Apart from the poor sod he could kill he would go to jail for killing someone and would face a hefty fine if 'dobbed in' to the authorities.

He has since been stopped... not for his sake so much as for the sake of the companies potential liability.

If you intend to work in aus on electronics or instrumentation you don't need a full licence anyway.

If you want to train as an electrician then it wouldn't be too hard to do an electrical apprenticeship. I've known people who have done mature apprenticeships... gone from fitters to sparkies. Better money and easier work. :smile:

Hmm,

Do you think the electrical fitter and the electrical fitter (instruments) is that different?

So with a restricted license I can still do electrical maintenance work and service technician work if i dont get a job as an instrument tech? But anything involving installation is a no-go?

the following link backs up the fact that you can get a full license as an Electrical fitter. but doesnt mention Electrical fitter (instruments)

thread number 19

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=560149&page=2http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=560149&page=2

Hmm,

Do you think the electrical fitter and the electrical fitter (instruments) is that different?

So with a restricted license I can still do electrical maintenance work and service technician work if i dont get a job as an instrument tech? But anything involving installation is a no-go?

the following link backs up the fact that you can get a full license as an Electrical fitter. but doesnt mention Electrical fitter (instruments)

thread number 19

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=560149&page=2http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=560149&page=2

I'm not sure what the difference is between electrical fitter and electrical fitter (instruments) to be honest but I do know about the restricted licence (up to a point of course).

The restricted only allows you to disconnect and then reconnect up to 650V for maintenance such as disconnecting an electric motor to service a pump (say?). Some licence conditions allow under strict limits "like for like" replacement - a plumber replacing a domestic hot water heater (say?). So you can't do electrical maintenance except to make safe electrical equipment so that you can do maintenance work on machinery or plant associated with your trade.

For example most of the blokes who did the restricted course with me from work were mech graduates - so they could never get a restricted licence because they hadn't done an apprenticeship and so couldn't claim a licence because they would never be required to do maintenance work (this was NSW by the way :smile:). The only reason that we did the course was because the employer was worried about the graduates working on or near live equipment for lab testing prototype products - fitting instrumentation and data logging equipment (one nearly fried himself). A crazy situation in this case but it normally makes sense. :biglaugh:

New installations are definately not permitted without a full licence. How to get one other than as stated previously I don't know - probably not possible.

To give you another idea of how it is, I know an Aussie who did an electrical apprenticeship - well almost! He was less than three months short of his four years when his boss had to retire through ill health. He couldn't find someone to take him on - due to recession at that time. He never got his licence. How tough is that?

The electricians and plumbers use the licence system to their advantage by restricting and controlling trade practice - a job protection scheme in effect. But its not as if lawyers, accountants, medics and such like haven't been doing that for years.

• 3 weeks later...

Are the qualifications you take with you from the UK considered when applying for a licence?

I did a 4 year apprenticeship with the ECITB and have an NVQ 3 in Electrical Maintenance and HNC in Electrical Engineering. Through my work I have also gained City and Guilds Certs in PAT Testing, IEE Wiring Regulations, Electricity at Work Regs. I also have a current Compex Certificate and have been working as an HV authorised electrician for 5 years in the North Sea.

It seems ridiculous to have to do it all again.

there is No quick way to get the A class license, if your a instrument fitter you wont get the a class license unless you can get your TRA or ATRC changes to electrical mechanic its as simple as that sorry to say, it looks the best you will get is the fitters license thats working as a restricted fitter on a permanent basis, this may even limit you to panel wiring only or limiting you to dicsconnect/reconnect of an appliance, i would be trying like hell to change from fitter to mechanic, then you may sit the emams at PEER in S/A

regards

Arthur

• 4 weeks later...

TRA offering Electrical Fitter trade test at Adelaide.

Is there any special book for above said test?

I want to appear AS/NZS 3000:2000 exam for A grade license.

How can study through distance learning?

Is there any institute for distance learning study from aboard?

ddr;

if you do the electrical fitters license then you may find this very restricting in respect you may NOT be allowed to work alone or NOT work on any main 3 phase or 1 phase equipment, you need to be applying for the electrical mechanics license to be able to apply for a course to bring you up to the Australian standards then after that you apply to do the exams to sit the A class license, as i say the fitters license is restricting in some states, people doing the fitters license may ONLY be able to do panel wiring 7 thats all.???? so make sure you get the correct ARTC to start with (Mechanics).

all the best

The restricted license only lets you work on 230V ONLY Not 600v there is noway you shall be allowed to work on a voltage of that nature with a restricted license.

the difference between fitter & mechanic, is this if you apply for mechanic you get the ARTC stating mechanic then you do a short course to bring you up to date with the Australian systems, then your allowed to sit the exams for the A class license with the fitters license you may be restricted to panel wiring only, (hence) NO A class license meaning you shall only be allowed to have a restricted license, NO working on 1 x phase or 3 phase gear, also with being a restricted license holder all your work must be checked all the time & your NOT allowed to work alone, so make sure you get the correct ARTC (Mechanic) that way you can do it all when you have the A class license, if you need more info P/M & we can chat

The restricted license only lets you work on 230V ONLY Not 600v there is noway you shall be allowed to work on a voltage of that nature with a restricted license.

Hmmmm!

"NREL 2 Disconnect/Reconnect, develops knowledge and skills required to safely disconnect and/or reconnect single and multiphase equipment connected to voltages up to 650V."

source:-

NREL 1 & 2 Restricted Electrical Work - Disconnect/Reconnect Statement of Attainment Course

& my NREL cert.

Now, if you you were to ask me if its a good idea to let REL people loose on 650V then that's another question altogether. Then again theres's plenty of sparkies I wouldn't let loose on plastic cutlery. :biglaugh:

Thanks Arthur,

My total experience in electrical field is of more than 11 years.

I have tried for Electrical Mechanic but TRA offering only Electrical Fitter trade test.

I am going to appear trade test of Electrical Fitter.

What will they ask in practical and theoretical trade test of Electrical Fitter, Any book to study?

Please suggest, how can I get an Electrical mechanic license after passing trade test of Electrical Fitter.

the difference between fitter & mechanic, is this if you apply for mechanic you get the ARTC stating mechanic then you do a short course to bring you up to date with the Australian systems, then your allowed to sit the exams for the A class license with the fitters license you may be restricted to panel wiring only, (hence) NO A class license meaning you shall only be allowed to have a restricted license, NO working on 1 x phase or 3 phase gear, also with being a restricted license holder all your work must be checked all the time & your NOT allowed to work alone, so make sure you get the correct ARTC (Mechanic) that way you can do it all when you have the A class license, if you need more info P/M & we can chat

FatPom, i fully understand what your saying mate, imagine over here there are some real cabbages, doing electrical work & i would NOT let them loose with a dolls house thats how rough most Aussie sparks are, & thats being kind to them. I do think its ironic that good UK sparks have to almost jump through hoops to get the A class license then you look at the workmanship of these cabbages here, talk about no pride in there work is an understatement.????

• 4 weeks later...

Understand the frustration on this subject as no work no money and then how can you survive! We would be happy just to get the restricted electrical licence for now as at least then you can earn money even it not alot.

We passed TRA and then applied to ARTC with same info as passing the TRA, then to be sent a letter saying 'insufficient evidence supplied a technical telephone interview is needed' got the letter a couple of weeks back and still not heard from them!

We passed TRA and then applied to ARTC with same info as passing the TRA, then to be sent a letter saying 'insufficient evidence supplied a technical telephone interview is needed' got the letter a couple of weeks back and still not heard from them!

The telephone interview sounds like it might be a replacement on the trade test you sometimes (or used to?) have to do on arrival in Aus before your ARTC is issued. Even though I was exempted from the trades test it still took 2-3 months before the ARTC was issued to me. It would be a good idea to chase up this interview asap to minimise the overall wait.

Guest James.S

Hi, I have the Vetassess pass as an electrician, my 175 Visa is not through yet, but can I apply for the ARTC? or do I have to wait until the visa is through and I'm in Oz??

Sorry to jump in on this thread, it's just that there seem to be some really helpful & knowledgeable people on here!!

Cheers

James..

Hi, I have the Vetassess pass as an electrician, my 175 Visa is not through yet, but can I apply for the ARTC? or do I have to wait until the visa is through and I'm in Oz??

Sorry to jump in on this thread, it's just that there seem to be some really helpful & knowledgeable people on here!!

Cheers

James..

Hi James

When we applied we had to put our visa number on the application form, not sure if you still have too and also the date we arrived in Australia, we havent arrived in Aus yet so put what date we are due to arrive.

Good luck

Guest James.S

Hi James

When we applied we had to put our visa number on the application form, not sure if you still have too and also the date we arrived in Australia, we havent arrived in Aus yet so put what date we are due to arrive.

Good luck

Hi, thanks for that, on the form it ask's for the arrival date, but then just the sub class of the visa in your passport?... so i guess that's not the visa number? :frown:

James...

• 4 months later...
Guest jelli81

Hi im wondering if anyone has any good advice, recently arrived in aus on a spouse visa and looking to get into work.

Back in the uk i have been working as an electricians mate then as a trainee electrician for 4 years and i have completed my level 2/3 electrotechnical certs with city and guilds.

Im now looking to further my qualifications and get registered over here. Really unsure which way to be heading and what i should be trying to get from the artc people?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Dear all,

I am still awaiting my visa but things are getting moving now and we should still be able to come over to oz by september.

I have already recieved my ARTC (I had it sent to a friend who is in Australia). It came back as being an electrical fitter (Instruments).

From what ive read i can only get a restricted license with this cert.

Problem is, all the jobs i have found on the net who want an instrument tech, instrument / electrical tech, instrument fitter, dual trade tech whatever you want to call it. Most of them seem to want someone with an unrestricted license? How can someone with my trade obtain an unrestricted license??

Also, although my trade got me sponsorship in Queensland, there doesnt seem to be that much work around from what i can see.

Is there anyone out there who knows of instrument contracting companies or agencies that i can register with?

I am probably going to uni in march 2010 to complete a bachelor of engineering technology in electrical major. But until then i need to find work!

What kind of electrical work can i do with a restricted license? could i do anything if i worked alongside someone with an unrestricted license? I dont mind what kind of work i do, as long as i can earn money until i go to uni.

Appreciate any help!

Thanks

Danny

Danny, you CAN get the A class license with the Electrical Fitters License, read this below i got this from the main electrical person at PEER in S/A this is very current information last Thursday afternoon we had a long chat.

(Ready)

I spoke to the main person at PEER 14-5-2009, this is what happens between ARTC & vatessess. When you make your application for migration, you supply information regarding your training the length of training; you also provided evidence of the company's you have worked for.

If you don't provide enough information or the type of information they may require for easy processes of the application this is where the two different routes come into play.

1st if you give info of work styles like lots of contracting work on industrial, commercial, domestic work you supply enough evidence & info on the type of installations you have worked on also all differing tools used. If they feel that's enough evidence you shall be granted the ARTC, end of story.

You may also be invited to do a trade test for ARTC again depending on the amount of info you put in the application, most case these days expect to be invited to do a trade test.

This system lets you apply to sit the A class exams when you get here I recommend PEER in S/A that the easiest route believe me.

If you don't provide enough info, you shall be pointed down the Vatessess route.

This system you shall have to do a trade test no ifs or buts.

You still end up with the Cert for migration but in the long run it’s a nightmare mainly due to other components that come into play when you’re in Australia.

This means you can still do the A class likeness exams at PEER when here, however there is a different system for Vatessess students. Can explain later.

For people who get the Cert of General Electrician, can also attend PEER to do there A class license no problems.

Now then apart from ARTC they are fine.

People who have been steered down the Vatessess route & people with General Electrician this can cause massive problems in other states, some states require what’s called Gap training this means you must work onsite for 12 months keeping a log book of all work completed on a continual basis without any breaks in the work time of the 12 months.

you won’t get a A class license until you have done this logbook you only get a restricted license meaning you’re not allowed to work on your own.??? Who is going to employ a person who must have all work checked on a daily basis.

This is mainly for people doing Vatessess, people doing General Electrician can go to PEER in S/A do the exams then have the A class transferred to the state you are going to reside in then your fine, But as I say this is for vatessess people mainly even though you may do the PEER route you must do this Log Book for 12 months.

Problems are

lower pay

work checked continually

if you have a gap in the 12 months your buggered.

You can only have a restricted license for a few years then that’s your lot.

as I say I got this from the main man on Friday 15-5-2009 from PEER S/A

I hope this info is of some help to you all maybe not what you’re expecting but its real information.

Danny you can contact PEER direct they do a distance learning course, you sign up they send all materials to your home you do a work book all examples inclusive when your ready you phone PEER to arrange the date for the A class exams its ass done in the one day some like another day for revision but not necessary if you do the work book, the only people who have failed are the ones who DON'T do the workbook or the ones who think its easy & they know it all normal people who get there heads into the work book pass its that simple.

Once you have the A class license you can if like go to the S/A with your paperwork with A class pass on it then register the same day for the license it takes a couple of days to post to home but you can also have the license transferred to the state your living in, this A class license is a full "Unrestricted A class License" recognised in ALL states.

contact

Kate Boneham

Marketing Coordinator

PEER VEET

1042 Port Road

Albert Park SA 5014

Phone +61 8 8348 1200

Fax +61 8 8348 1201

kate@peer.com.au

www.peer.com.au

let me know how you go on

• 1 year later...
Guest warrenkt

Don't bother with the Electrical Fitter Licence. I received mine over 8 weeks ago and still no work.

Archived