Teaching in Victoria or Brisbane

Guest Judith817

Guest Judith817

Hi all

We are in the process of migrating to Oz & currently going on my OH job (sparky) as its on the MODL.

Im a primary school teacher & did a 3 year degree at Uni...Does anyone know or has anyone experienced submitting an application to Teach Australia based on a 3 year degree? Is it successful?...It would be a lot quicker going through my job than my OH, but we dont know if Teach Australia accepts 3 year degrees????

Also, where is best to go: Brisbane or Melbourne? Any pros & cons?!!!

Thanks

Judith:realmad:

Guest ebdale_sns@hotmail.com

If your OH has quals and experience - no probs. If not - you'll have to pursue the teaching route.

As a rule MODL's are FAR quicker than anything else.

For me - Qld is the place to be - in particular the Sunshine Coast. I've lived and worked in Brissie and it is a fantastic City, clean, vibrant and growing.

I worked for the Qld Govt in Child Safety, Disability Svs and Yth Justice. Don't get me wrong - Brissie's FAB, but give the Sunshine Coast a look!

Buderim - green, lush and wonderful

Peregian Beach / Springs - Affluent, a dream place

Caloundra - full of young families, thriving and fresh

Noosa - RICH, RICH, RICH (where Kylie and the likes , holiday!)

Hinterland (Montville, Maleny, Kenilworth) - England with a twist!

Melbourne is a wonderful place - the heritage feels great, but we come from England and heritage is abundant here. Also - if I wanted 4 seasons in one day (it's where the record comes from and it refers to the weather in Melbourne)- I would have stayed in England!

Hope I haven't confused you more!

Hi all

We are in the process of migrating to Oz & currently going on my OH job (sparky) as its on the MODL.

Im a primary school teacher & did a 3 year degree at Uni...Does anyone know or has anyone experienced submitting an application to Teach Australia based on a 3 year degree? Is it successful?...It would be a lot quicker going through my job than my OH, but we dont know if Teach Australia accepts 3 year degrees????

Also, where is best to go: Brisbane or Melbourne? Any pros & cons?!!!

Thanks

Judith:realmad:

No you will not be qualified here - 4 years is the minimum I'm afraid.

I had to go back to uni for a fourth year before I could pass the teaching skills assessment. I had been teaching for about 6 years but did the 3 year BA in Primary Education. This was not enough so I did a major year at uni (part - time) and got my MA.

Even if Teach Australia passed you with the 3 yr degree you may find it difficult to get registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching (teachers have to be registered to teach in each state). A friend of mine (an Aussie) is a 3 year trained teacher and because of when she did her training she can be registered to teach but she does not earn the same money. 3 yr trained teachers earn a fair bit less! This sucks in my opinion but that's the way it is.

I am now teaching here in Melbourne so if I can help in anyway, just let me know!

Felicity:cute:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NinaW

I did 4 year bEd degree and have been teaching in England for 5 years.

We are currently applying for temporary business longstay visa in my husbands name as he has already got a job secrued at Brisbane airport.

I have been looking in to getting a teaching job in Oz but its all a bit confussing!

Is there anyone out there who can help with advise on what steps to take?

Thanks in advance

Nina

:cute:

Archived