I'm in the early stages of planning to relocate long term with young family to Oz and need to investigate my employment options so I know what/where we can afford.
I work as a Civil/Structural Technician on all sorts of construction projects, using AutoCAD to produce 2D/3D construction information/drawings/schedules for building sub/superstructures in steelwork, concrete (inc. RC detailing) masonry, timber - all the usual suspects including piling works, drainage, externals, retaining walls and the like.
I worked for 7 years as permanent employee but went freelance in 04 and now have my own Ltd. company in the UK, currently working, via an specialist structural recruitment co, for a consulting engineering firm called Buro Happold.
Is there anyone around here who might be able to advise me on the following matters:
My wife (OH?) and I also have hundreds of other questions but this probably isn't the right place for them.
- Any significant differences between UK & Oz structural design & construction technology & practices?
- Permanent - v - Contract ?
- Is there a market for freelancers in this field, and do they do the ltd. company thing like we do in the UK or are the tax rules different?
- Whether to bother with the agencies or approach firms directly
- Availability of work ? (we're considering Brisbane mainly but are openminded)
- Salary expectations for both perm & contract roles
Any advice at all on any of the above would be much appreciated
If you got this far, thanks for reading!