Are all IT jobs around Sydney CBD only?

Hi,

As we progress through our options of where to set camp in Australia, we are now making ourselves to also explore Sydney. Since all our research focussed only on Melbourne with IT jobs requiring travel into the CBD, I am now trying to understand if its the same in Sydney also?

Since Sydney has organically grown outwards, I am hoping there are IT or tech parks dotted around other smaller towns. Probably not as much as the UK where jobs in the South are just not in London or the Thames corridor but also in a number of smaller towns for example Reading, Basingstoke, Hook, Newbury, Theale and so on......

Is this the case in Sydney too? If I am being specific then I am on IT PM focussed on Telecoms and Delivery plus Consulting so any ideas on the spread of IT companies outside the CBD will help us in identifying potential suburbs to shortlist for our recce. I do know we have to up our budget to about $700k for a decent place an hour away from the CBD but what if there was IT work ad companies outside of the CBD?

Any insights?

Thanks

KnK

Hi,

As we progress through our options of where to set camp in Australia, we are now making ourselves to also explore Sydney. Since all our research focussed only on Melbourne with IT jobs requiring travel into the CBD, I am now trying to understand if its the same in Sydney also?

No, that's definitely not the case in Sydney. Many big companies have moved their data centres out to Business Parks out west (Pennant Hills, Norwest Business Park, Castle Hill). Sydney's biggest concentration of IT jobs is probably at Macquarie Park/Ryde.

I am hoping there are IT or tech parks dotted around other smaller towns. Probably not as much as the UK where jobs in the South are just not in London or the Thames corridor but also in a number of smaller towns for example Reading, Basingstoke, Hook, Newbury, Theale and so on......

Australia isn't setup like this. It's closer to the USA with suburbs.

I know of nowhere like the Thames Valley (having lived in the area for 20ish years).

Currently doing IT in Perth.

As a IT PM focused on Delivery and Consulting i tend to have to be fairly mobile and go where the work is. I currently work in Melbourne & Sydney CBD but that's more luck than judgement. Our Melbourne office is in forest hill and our Sydney one is in rhodes, just across the river from Ryde etc but that's largely irrelevant as i rarely go into 'my' office

Edited by kevsan

Hi,

Since Sydney has organically grown outwards, I am hoping there are IT or tech parks dotted around other smaller towns. Probably not as much as the UK where jobs in the South are just not in London or the Thames corridor but also in a number of smaller towns for example Reading, Basingstoke, Hook, Newbury, Theale and so on......

Is this the case in Sydney too? If I am being specific then I am on IT PM focussed on Telecoms and Delivery plus Consulting so any ideas on the spread of IT companies outside the CBD will help us in identifying potential suburbs to shortlist for our recce. I do know we have to up our budget to about $700k for a decent place an hour away from the CBD but what if there was IT work ad companies outside of the CBD?

Any insights?

Thanks

KnK

I work in IT and have lived in Melbourne for just over 3.5 years. I'm on my third role as an IT Contractor, and I am still yet to work in the CBD.

No, that's definitely not the case in Sydney. Many big companies have moved their data centres out to Business Parks out west (Pennant Hills, Norwest Business Park, Castle Hill). Sydney's biggest concentration of IT jobs is probably at Macquarie Park/Ryde.

What Marisa said to some extent

IT companies I interface with are rarely based in the CBD. Biggest concentration of business in the CBD is probably financial services

Friend of mine is a VP at HP, they are based at Rhodes (big HQ, and there are another couple of tech companies there). Lots in Macquarie Park as well (I work here, but not in IT). Other IT companies in North Sydney, out at Norwest, all over really

There's nothing like the UK Thames Valley though, Greater Sydney is really the centre of business. It's maybe more like Kista in Stockholm - some clusters of tech companies in outer suburbs

Thanks guys,

Somehow the notifications havent worked and it's only because I logged in today did I realise there were some helpful replies so once again thank you all. It is quite interesting really, my perception has been go CBD for all work, go out for all life.....but it isnt so. Come to think of it, its only after I spent about 5 years in the UK did I know where my kinda jobs were based so all depends on where I end up really......

@WelshBen : So where are the other clusters of IT companies in Melbourne outside of the CBD? Or is it just spread all over?

We are keen to settle down as soon as possible after we move. Dont want to spend a year renting and then move into a property, mainly because we are settled here and enjoy not renting after almost 8 years of it.......guess sometimes key decisions like purchasing may need to wait a while!

KnK

Thanks guys,

Somehow the notifications havent worked and it's only because I logged in today did I realise there were some helpful replies so once again thank you all. It is quite interesting really, my perception has been go CBD for all work, go out for all life.....but it isnt so. Come to think of it, its only after I spent about 5 years in the UK did I know where my kinda jobs were based so all depends on where I end up really......

@WelshBen : So where are the other clusters of IT companies in Melbourne outside of the CBD? Or is it just spread all over?

We are keen to settle down as soon as possible after we move. Dont want to spend a year renting and then move into a property, mainly because we are settled here and enjoy not renting after almost 8 years of it.......guess sometimes key decisions like purchasing may need to wait a while!

KnK

Hi KnK - from my experience the CBD is the place with the majority of banking and financial services roles are based. I have worked a little out of the city on St Kilda Road, Richmond and Abbottsford and also further out in Box Hill.

Some of the ones i looked at - you could check out their locations. Then as mentioned there are non IT companies that have significant IT requirements, the banks, State Gov depts, Utilities, supermarkets like Coles are out of the CBD

[TABLE=class: data, width: 699]

[TR]

[TD]Agilent Technologies[/TD]

[TD]Pactera[/TD]

[TD]Square[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Electronic Arts (EA Games)[/TD]

[TD]SGI[/TD]

[TD]Lockheed[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Eventbrite[/TD]

[TD]Siemens[/TD]

[TD]Dexler[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Fujitsu[/TD]

[TD]Alcatel-Lucent[/TD]

[TD]Zendesk[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]HCL[/TD]

[TD]TCS[/TD]

[TD]SAP[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]HP[/TD]

[TD]Birlasoft[/TD]

[TD]Thales[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]iGate[/TD]

[TD]Capgemini[/TD]

[TD]Xero[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]IBM[/TD]

[TD]Infosys[/TD]

[TD]Leidos[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Microsoft[/TD]

[TD]Mahindra Satyam[/TD]

[TD]JMR[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]NEC[/TD]

[TD]Ericsson[/TD]

[TD]Luma Pictures[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I don't have an educated answer, but loads of people I have met since we arrived are in IT or an IT related job (sales etc) - they only seem to have to go in 2/3 days a week and most of them are loosely around the north shore, North Sydney, Maquarie, Ryde (as described) - just like the others have said. Most of these places are well serviced by public transport, but I'd imagine it make sense not to base yourself too far south, like lower Sutherland or Wollongong!

There are still exceptions, other types of business like Atlassian https://www.atlassian.com/company/contact - so you could probably live most places as long as the road or train/bus worked in your favour. Because of the shape of the harbour, it might not be obvious how far a commute might be, some roads have to go around (e.g from some of the inner west suburbs, you might need to go via the CBD and over the Harbour Bridge or back west and over by Homebush). Certain plaices can be a right pain to get to (I have freelanced a few times in Walsh Bay, which is not the easiest place to get to.

I don't have an educated answer, but loads of people I have met since we arrived are in IT or an IT related job (sales etc) - they only seem to have to go in 2/3 days a week and most of them are loosely around the north shore, North Sydney, Maquarie, Ryde (as described) - just like the others have said. Most of these places are well serviced by public transport, but I'd imagine it make sense not to base yourself too far south, like lower Sutherland or Wollongong!

There are still exceptions, other types of business like Atlassian https://www.atlassian.com/company/contact - so you could probably live most places as long as the road or train/bus worked in your favour. Because of the shape of the harbour, it might not be obvious how far a commute might be, some roads have to go around (e.g from some of the inner west suburbs, you might need to go via the CBD and over the Harbour Bridge or back west and over by Homebush). Certain plaices can be a right pain to get to (I have freelanced a few times in Walsh Bay, which is not the easiest place to get to.

"places" even