while holidaying in Oz - is it worth checking job vacancies?

cottonsocks

Hi ya

Just wondering if its worth me popping into the recruitment agencies while on holiday in Oz later this year, to check out what jobs are available? I'll probably email them first I reckon, to make an appointment, but I haven't got any work visa in place, so I'm wondering if it will be a waste of time.

I am considering moving to Oz with my family, hence my holiday, to reccy the place. But I'm 44. got a diploma in social work + lots of experience. I'd appreciate any advice, thanks.

Hi ya

Just wondering if its worth me popping into the recruitment agencies while on holiday in Oz later this year, to check out what jobs are available? I'll probably email them first I reckon, to make an appointment, but I haven't got any work visa in place, so I'm wondering if it will be a waste of time.

I am considering moving to Oz with my family, hence my holiday, to reccy the place. But I'm 44. got a diploma in social work + lots of experience. I'd appreciate any advice, thanks.

Yes, definitely worth talking to recruitment agencies. Obviously you can't discuss specific vacancies but you can get information on job prospects etc. It's important not to think of it as a "holiday" - it IS a recce, so don't spend all your time seeing the sights. If you get your visa, there will be plenty of time to see those later! You should aim to come back from your recce with a clear idea of how much rental places are, how much property costs (and go to "open for inspections", because the photos on the internet are always prettied up!), how much stuff costs in the supermarket, what your daily life would be like etc.

yeah, sensible advice ..and thanks for the tips for my reccy. Is there any chance I could get a job offer while I'm there? But common sense tells me that won't happen.

That depends where you are in the process. I don't know what your options are for a visa - if you need to get sponsored by an employer, then obviously you'll need to try to get a job offer, since your chances of getting one from the UK are probably slim.

I've done a fair bit of reading up on visa requirements on the internet, but I'm afraid I haven't started the process of applying, as I don't know if I'll get it, due to my age and not having a degree, so I'm not sure if I'll meet the points requirement. But I'm hoping to find out when I'm in Oz, if there are short cuts to the process, i.e. getting job offers, sponsorships etc. .

And the OH has never been to OZ before, I was last there in 1996, reckon its changed a lot since.

thanks for all your advice Marisawright. and enjoy your flight back to UK.

Edited by cottonsocks

I've done a fair bit of reading up on visa requirements on the internet, but I'm afraid I haven't started the process of applying, as I don't know if I'll get it, due to my age and not having a degree, so I'm not sure if I'll meet the points requirement. But I'm hoping to find out when I'm in Oz, if there are short cuts to the process, i.e. getting job offers, sponsorships etc. .

And the OH has never been to OZ before, I was last there in 1996, reckon its changed a lot since.

thanks for all your advice Marisawright. and enjoy your flight back to UK.

It is a lot more expensive now.

If there are any shortcuts available, then your best chance of finding them is here on this forum, NOT in Australia! I suggest starting a new thread asking for advice on what your chances are. Alternatively, cough up a bit of money and ask a migration agent, that's the best way to be sure where you stand, and could save you a heap of money in the long run. Go Matilda is often recommended on here.

The hard fact is that for some people, there is simply no way of getting a visa. Let's hope you are not in that situation but it's better to find out before your holiday, not after - then if a visa is out of the question, at least you can make the most of your vacation.

Edited by Marisawright

If there are any shortcuts available, then your best chance of finding them is here on this forum, NOT in Australia! I suggest starting a new thread asking for advice on what your chances are. Alternatively, cough up a bit of money and ask a migration agent, that's the best way to be sure where you stand, and could save you a heap of money in the long run. Go Matilda is often recommended on here.

The hard fact is that for some people, there is simply no way of getting a visa. Let's hope you are not in that situation but it's better to find out before your holiday, not after - then if a visa is out of the question, at least you can make the most of your vacation.

There's s lot of truth in what you say. I'm not being naive about my chances. Also feeling a bit half hearted on idea of moving. Think I need to visit oz with fam before deciding whether to put in 100% effort. Got the tixs already so it'll make a nice holiday either way

There are a number of issues.

First, while you may still be eligible for a skilled independent visa, after your 45th birthday, it is unlikely as most people find they can't get enough points after 45 as there are no points available for age.

That would only leave sponsorship. Not easy to get, and usually amounts to a 457 visa. This is only a temporary visa, normally valid for up to 4 years. You would have school fees to pay in several states and it is tied to the job, so, if you lose your job, you only have 90 days to find another sponsor or leave the country.

You would have to hope that your employer would be willing to sponsor pr and that they would do this before the age of 50 as then special rules kick in and I think it would be difficult to meet them.

Got the tixs already so it'll make a nice holiday either way??

No, that's the point - if it's a recce it won't be a nice holiday because you SHOULD spend most of your time doing research, not holidaying - which will all be wasted if you ultimately discover you've got no chance of a visa!

So, I strongly recommend that you do some solid research now, before you go, and work out what you want to do/what's realistic. It sounds like your chances are slim anyway. Frankly, if you're half-hearted about moving then I'd forget the whole idea - migrating with a family is going to cost you at least $50,000 by the time you pay visa fees, fares, replacing/shipping all your furniture, buying a car, temp accommodation while you look for a house/job, living expenses until you're employed, etc etc. Not to mention the stress of leaving family and friends. How do your spouse and kids feel - are they the ones driving the move? Are you sure Australia is for you or are you basing your dream on a rosy memory of a WHV visit? Where were you thinking of coming to, anyway?

There's s lot of truth in what you say. I'm not being naive about my chances. Also feeling a bit half hearted on idea of moving. Think I need to visit oz with fam before deciding whether to put in 100% effort. Got the tixs already so it'll make a nice holiday either way??

I would at least make preliminary enquiries about the likelihood of qualifying for a visa before wasting my holiday researching a move I might not be qualified to make. It's also worth mentioning recruitment agents aren't going to be very interested in wasting their time with you if you don't even know if you would be eligible for a visa.

If you've only got a diploma in social work and you're not young I would say your chances are not great TBH. Of course you can put out feelers but there are shed loads of young grads with psych and SW qualifications which allow them to be registered and you would be struggling to compete with them. I'd be talking to an agent about your chances of a visa if you are desperate but enjoy the holiday anyway.

No, that's the point - if it's a recce it won't be a nice holiday because you SHOULD spend most of your time doing research, not holidaying - which will all be wasted if you ultimately discover you've got no chance of a visa!

So, I strongly recommend that you do some solid research now, before you go, and work out what you want to do/what's realistic. It sounds like your chances are slim anyway. Frankly, if you're half-hearted about moving then I'd forget the whole idea - migrating with a family is going to cost you at least $50,000 by the time you pay visa fees, fares, replacing/shipping all your furniture, buying a car, temp accommodation while you look for a house/job, living expenses until you're employed, etc etc. Not to mention the stress of leaving family and friends. How do your spouse and kids feel - are they the ones driving the move? Are you sure Australia is for you or are you basing your dream on a rosy memory of a WHV visit? Where were you thinking of coming to, anyway?

thanks everyone for your comments. some very valid points in whats been said so far.

It's a good thing then, that I logged on to this website, on my way to "research" before going. I've spent most of my day off today looking at visas, assessments etc, and I think I do stand a chance, whilst perhaps the odds are a bit stacked, given the age limit business. I have stopped short of ringing agents, as I've got loads of info online.

I forgot to mention that my sister lives in sydney (when i first logged on yesterday, it was midnight already, knackered) and she's just done her property up, so we'll be staying in the 1 bed annex to begin with, if we moved. That'll save us a ton of money. She moved around 8 years ago, but a lot has changed since then immigration wise and her husband is already sponsoring his brother's move to oz, so i think she said they might not be able to sponsor me. But she's been pestering us to move to oz ever since she migrated. So i finally gave in and agreed to visit her this year and promised her that I'll reccy the place while I'm there.

There's s lot of truth in what you say. I'm not being naive about my chances. Also feeling a bit half hearted on idea of moving. Think I need to visit oz with fam before deciding whether to put in 100% effort. Got the tixs already so it'll make a nice holiday either way

You could probably establish fairly quickly if you would be eligible for a visa. I would recommend you do that before your trip and then if it is not possible you can just enjoy your holiday and not bother with recruitment agencies and other practical things.

So have you taken a points test yet? I think it might be quite hard at 44 without a degree. And under what occupation do you believe you could apply? Have you looked into what the requirements are for a skills assessment for that occupation? If you are thinking social worker, it might need a degree (but I don't know off top of my head).

If your sister and husband are in Sydney then they will not be sponsoring you or anyone else for a visa, as it is not permitted. Only relatives in regional areas can sponsor skilled migrant visa applications.

Edited by Bungo

You could probably establish fairly quickly if you would be eligible for a visa. I would recommend you do that before your trip and then if it is not possible you can just enjoy your holiday and not bother with recruitment agencies and other practical things.

So have you taken a points test yet? I think it might be quite hard at 44 without a degree. And under what occupation do you believe you could apply? Have you looked into what the requirements are for a skills assessment for that occupation? If you are thinking social worker, it might need a degree (but I don't know off top of my head).

If your sister and husband are in Sydney then they will not be sponsoring you or anyone else for a visa, as it is not permitted. Only relatives in regional areas can sponsor skilled migrant visa applications.

Hi Bungo, I'm surprised to hear that. I'm quite certain that they sponsored his brother in law several years ago, or maybe they were referring to something else. I haven't spoken to my sister to clarify this, she's not as tech savvy as myself and it's can be a nightmare to get hold of her, especially with time difference.

I'm afraid I haven't done the points test recently. I did one several years ago and I met criteria then. Skills ax for sw has changed recently, and they will consider non degree but with experience & perhaps recommend extra educational top up study in oz. I guess which is why i was hoping to check out the jobs while there, sponsorship won't hurt i reckon.

As I posted above, once you turn 45, you will not be able to get enough points. That is regardless of experience.

thanks for reminding me very stormy. I've got a year before I turn 45..got knots in my tummy now; information overload today. think i'm going to bed to sleep it off.

Hardly a very well paid area either social work. As I understand there are less options available in this area in Australia than UK, and outside of child protection and hospitals, NGO's are the main employers. Very hit and miss working for many of them often with a high turnover. A lot of work akin to welfare worker so a lot of competition.

• 3 months later...

hi everyone, quick update.

just got back from my hols and we had such a fab time.

spent most of the time in sydney with the family. Did all the usual tourist sights and lots of walking trails in national parks etc. Drove up to surfers paradise (thanks to my sis, who loaned us a car), stayed at sea world resort and spent several days doing the touristy stuff. Stopped along the way at some remote beaches, port mcquarie etc. To be honest, I liked it more than I thought I would. Kids and OH loved it more than I did.

So came back last week and decided, what the hell, I'm going to try for the 189 or 190 visa as I just make the points. But i'm not getting carried away, as i know how tight its going to be. My sister is desperate to get me out there and she's offered to pay for the visa costs. i know how lucky i am but she knows I wouldn't put in an application if she didn't. Wish me luck, I reckon I'm gonna need it.