Early Years Teacher skills assessment question

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help me with my query?

I have done a 3 years Primary Education degree and also a Masters in Early Years education, which gives me the 4 years at uni requirement in Australia.

In order to satisfy the skills assessment for a pre- primary (Early Years teacher) I need to have at least 45 days teaching practice in the age range 3-8. The age range I was assessed in was 5-11 (with much of it in the age range 5-8) Does anyone know if this will still be ok?

Thank you in advance for any help with this.

Nikki

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a tricky one as your B.A is in Primary education, not early years. I think only AITSL can answer that for you as they will look at the content of both your B.A and M.A (when you complete it) to determine if you qualify for early years teaching as opposed to primary.

Not the first time I've been referred to as tricky...!

Thanks for your thoughts- I think I will send an email to AITSL although whether they will give me a straight definitive answer is another thing...

Thanks again

It is a hard one to answer due to the content studied. Hopefully they can help you.

Just to let anyone interested in this that I had an email back from AITSL. They said that they can't do any pre- application assessment but to look at the guidelines about teaching practice requirements. I looked over it again and sadly I would have needed the age range to start from 3 and not 5 as my school experience/teaching placements did.

So despite a MA in Early Years, teaching experience in EY and 90 days on teaching practice because my school placements were from 5 and not 3 then I am pretty much stuffed :-(

Just to let anyone interested in this that I had an email back from AITSL. They said that they can't do any pre- application assessment but to look at the guidelines about teaching practice requirements. I looked over it again and sadly I would have needed the age range to start from 3 and not 5 as my school experience/teaching placements did.

So despite a MA in Early Years, teaching experience in EY and 90 days on teaching practice because my school placements were from 5 and not 3 then I am pretty much stuffed :-(

Id have a word with a migration agent before I gave up hope. Ask someone at Go Matilda or another RMA.

Id have a word with a migration agent before I gave up hope. Ask someone at Go Matilda or another RMA.

A migration agent cannot change this.

However, the OP has not studied/gained their MA yet (according to an earlier post) and if they wish to move to Australia in the future (if primary is ever on the skills list) then they would be wise to undertake a fourth year of tertiary education to enable them to fulfill the four years of university requirement that is mandatory Australia wide.

Edited by Sammy1

I'm not sure this will help or cheer you up, but I'll tell you my experience with AITSL. The outcome was not suitabl, but....

I have a early childhood studies degree and a PGCE in Early years/infants (age 3-8). I have worked as a nanny, children's rep for a well known holiday company, a teacher, a nursery Teacher in England, Scotland and abroad, and they still refused. However saying that Early years teachers are not what they are in the UK. They're generally in nurseries, doing longer hours, more weeks and getting paid less. However there are more jobs for trained teachers and once in Australia a different body accepts your qualifications. Now here I'm accepted to teach early years and kindy to year 6. It wasn't a major concern for me to get AITSL as my husband was the main applicant, so if you can get over I wouldn't worry about getting recognised. You are probably qualified by Acecqa standards. Good luck with everything

I'm not sure this will help or cheer you up, but I'll tell you my experience with AITSL. The outcome was not suitabl, but....

I have a early childhood studies degree and a PGCE in Early years/infants (age 3-8). I have worked as a nanny, children's rep for a well known holiday company, a teacher, a nursery Teacher in England, Scotland and abroad, and they still refused. However saying that Early years teachers are not what they are in the UK. They're generally in nurseries, doing longer hours, more weeks and getting paid less. However there are more jobs for trained teachers and once in Australia a different body accepts your qualifications. Now here I'm accepted to teach early years and kindy to year 6. It wasn't a major concern for me to get AITSL as my husband was the main applicant, so if you can get over I wouldn't worry about getting recognised. You are probably qualified by Acecqa standards. Good luck with everything

Fleks, your post has me worried that AITSL said no to your application. I am an a early years teacher in the UK just getting my application together for AITSL. I have a PGCE in early years with 90 days supervised teaching practice age 3-8. I'm currently working in an early years unit with ages 3-5. What was their exact reason for saying no to you??? I would be the main applicant so a lot rides on the AITSL assessment xx

They were happy with my 3 year degree as four years as I had completed a research element, they were happy with the degree in Early years and the PGCE, but not suitable as couldn't prove that my 90 days teaching practices were completed in Early years (0-8). My uni lost my PGCE transcript but I had then wtite a supporting letter explaining that the placements were course mandatory, assesssed and all but one were under 8,, but they wanted my evidence from tutors etc. I attended uni in 2000 and worked so had got rid of uni stuff ages ago. I assumed working in that sector would count, it didnt. So classed as unsuitable. I spoke to the UK asking for support to be told that as far as they were concerned they have a reciprocal agreement, which they do for working but when it comes to immigration its each case for themselves. If AITSL say no try getting a job first. They're plenty in Early years.

I know it's hard to not he worried but apply and see, just have lots of evidence, but don't surprised if transctipts, Qts certificates, don't support the early years stage. Put in any peer, HT etc observations in with documents. Fingers crossed. Like I said I wasn't overly worried as my husband was main applicant, not me, so I never appealed or pushed for more information. What's,more annoying is that the AITSL do the immigration assessment and once here no one cares you need local government recognition,recognition and assessment for both early years and teaching. No one talks to each other so ive spent months getting stuff organised, certified and posted. Make sure that whatever you get certified you copy, put on a stick and have at hand.

Fingers crossed for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just read this and now I am very nervous! I have did BA (Hons) Early Childhood studies with Practitioner Option (3 year course), finished in 2009 and then did 3-8 PGCE (1 year ) in 2012. I currently work as a Nursery Teacher in a school here (Know I wouldn't get a job with the school holidays in Australia but hoping life in general will be better!). My husband is also a primary teacher but as Early Years Teacher is on the SOL, I am planning as going as the lead applicant. We are just starting this process so want to make sure I am doing it right! Today I have contacted both my Unis to get placement transcripts as I have no idea where must my uni files have gone! Please can you keep me updated on your progress! Also at what point to you register with the state - before or after you apply for the Visa?

SOJ it sounds to me that you will be ok. Your degree and PGCE are Early Years specific, and you have the 4 years university education which is one of the main things AITSL are looking for. When you get your transcripts just check if they say how many days you were on placement and what age ranges you worked with. Mine didn't so had to get an official letter from the Uni stating these it has to be at least 45 days with the 3-8 age range.

You can register with the teaching board of the specific state at any time but it's probably best to wait until you have applied for a visa, the different states have different requirements so check these out. Good luck xx

Thank you! I asked uni to include this so fingers crossed they will! Just got to wait for them to get back to me! Think I will be doing a lot of waiting in the next few months! Good luck with your assessment!

I wouldn't worry about getting recognised. You are probably qualified by Acecqa standards.

Hi,

Just been looking at the ACECQA website and my degree and PGCE seen to be coming up as a equivalent to a Aus Diploma, which would only qualify me to work as a Early Years Educator, not a Teacher. Also, if you apply for ACECQA do you then apply for states as well?

Im so confused!

Fleks - did you have this problem getting assessed my ACECQA?

Thanks x

Funnily enough I heard back last week and was assessed at Diploma level. I'm disappointed but have questioned some parts of the assessment and an awaiting a response. It seems that everything is accepted as an ECT except at PGCE level as i have not completed 10 days professional experience at 0-2. I'm awaiting for feedback to confirm that all I need to do to is 10 days professional experience and then I can be reassessed. At this time all I can confirm is that they recognise early years as 0-5, and without evidence of the 0-2 I'm hitting obstacles. This is a difference in definition to the phrase early years in the UK, and they expect a placement at teaching qualification level in 0-2.I had that experience at HND Level but not at PGCE.

I hope this helps, it's like wading through muddy water.

Good luck, and I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for your reply! It's so bloody stupid! I have 0-2 experience with my Early Childhood Studies degree, had a 20 day placement and also have the work experience after my degree, before I did my PGCE but worried it not going to count! Yes please keep me posted!

Good luck with it all!

Edited by SOJ

I'd like to know about this too as I was going to arrange some experience in a 0-2 room at a local nursery over the summer holidays but looks like it might be pointless if you need it to be part of the teaching qualification. Don't like to make it easy do they? Had an email off AITSL this week saying they have received my assessment application (after posting it almost 4 weeks ago) and the money has been taken out of my account so fingers crossed!

Good luck!

I was the same I had experience as HND/Degree level but none at PGCE level. To be honest I think they all (ACECQA, AITSL, BOSTES etc) make judgements on everything that is submitted and for that reason each person has a differing experience. AITSL consider early years to be 3-8, ACECQA say 0-5. It is a vast country with each state having rules, and then visa criteria and finally nationwide organisations that taking every application on it's own merits if probably the fairest way. I will keep people posted but I can only tell you my experience and I am sure others have much better. I will keep you posted on the 0-2 criteria as this seems quite important as they UK don't include that in teaching degree/ PGCE's.

It takes ages Selina. Which just makes everything so stressful, even when they update the system to tell you it is completed they don't tell you the outcome, you are just left waiting for it to arrive in the post. :arghh:

Edited by fleks

Wow its so confusing!

It makes no sense how potentially AITSL could say your a ECT, the state recognise it, be granted a visa but then ACECQA say no your a ECE!

Don't understand how it would be possible to be a ECT unless your train in Australia! Please keep me updated, as I think I might wait to see what outcome you guys get before I start!

Good luck and thank you for sharing your experiences - its really reassuring to know others are as confused as me!

OK I have some more clarification on my case, the lack of 0-2 is a problem but the biggest issue is the grading of the the Degree and seems that they are not prepared to change their opinion. A closer inspection of the website shows that no UK degree's have been assessed at this level. So at this point, I am going to give up and apply for work as a primary teacher and then when I have full NSW accreditation. I get ECT as well. Very confusing, and if I am honest I am not sure I fully understand, esp when once I have full accreditation I can then work as an ECT which means they suddenly accept the degree.....

I am sorry that I have not been able to help anyone, and apologies if my story has made people despondent. I hope that the scenario of people being granted visa's as ECT and then not being able to work at that level doesn't happen and that other states can perhaps not use ACECQA but NSW wanted/needed it, and therefore my fight is over. I am wasting no more time and money trying to get my years spent in Early years recognised.

Oh no Flecks, it sounds like a right old battle to be recognised as an ECT!!! Good luck finding primary school work. I just actually want a positive assessment from AITSL to be able to start the visa process and then I'll worry about registration with whatever state we decide to move to. I got my IELTS results today and got 9 so at least that's 20 points towards migration :-) have 65 points now but everything is in the hands of AITSL wish they would hurry up!! X

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone

I hope you don't mind me asking for advice.

I'm nearing the end of a 3 year degree (English lit.) and am intending to spend a further year at uni doing a PGCE.

Now the course I'm thinking of is primary, with a focus on ages 3-7. Will this be a problem, focusing on ages 3-7 rather than 3-8?

This is pretty much the closest I can get unless I do it in Oz on a student visa. A migration agent actually advised me to do the PGCE for high school and do the ECT course when I'm 'in', but is this necessary?

Thank you.