"Australian Experience Essential"

bradbougourd

Hi All,

This is my first post.

To start things off, I have over 6 years in the construction industry (mainly in civil & structural engineer drafting) with experience running my own jobs back home in Jersey. To back all this up I have multiple qualifications (2/3 of my BSc (Hons) Construction Management completed), yet I get turned away from every job I apply for due to the same reasoning "Australian Experience Essential".

How is anybody meant to gain experience in nobody is willing to open a door?

I have even tried applying for traineeship roles, telling them I don't mind taking the drop in salary, etc, explaining how they will gain out of it due to the fact they only need to teach me Australian codes. Yet I get turned away because I am, to them, "Over Qualified"!!

Its so aggravating!! I'm even applying Australia wide for jobs! Still no door opens!

Has anybody else had this problem? If so how did you get past it?

Rant Over!

Guest The Pom Queen

Are you currently in Australia as that can put employers off, also it may be worth while trying to convert your qualifications in to Australian ones. Sometimes they have no idea what an English qualification stands for and just add you to the no pile rather than look it up. The best thing you can do is to try and get a face to face meeting with them and explain your situation. I wonder if there is any kind of volunteer role you could do to give you something to add to your cv.

Hi,

I'm not in the same industry, but when I was originally looking in to going to Australia, I never even got replies from employers when looking for a 457, I then got a permanent 189 visa and still had no response, I am 6 days away from moving to Aus and still mostly get no responses. As the Pom Queen has mentioned, there are quite a few deciding factors whether an employer is willing to employ externally, whether they are desperate to fill posts or not and can't do from within Australia seems to be a big factor, as there are significant expenses involved in sponsoring from outside. I found that the biggest drawback for myself was the different licences I needed, that I can't even apply for without being in the country. It can be quite disheartening after a while. I eventually spoke to an Australia wide recruiter for my industry, who was good enough to explain why I wasn't getting any response, which made me feel much better. Now I just have to move over get my licences and then cross my fingers lol..

Best of luck with your plans, hope this helps.. :wink:

Thanks to both of you.

I have been here for nearly 2 months now - managed 1 interview (which equated to nothing)!

With regards to Visa's that doesn't matter as I already have an Australian Passport as well.

Maybe I will look more into converting my qualifications, if that is possible!

Thanks again!!

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks to both of you.

I have been here for nearly 2 months now - managed 1 interview (which equated to nothing)!

With regards to Visa's that doesn't matter as I already have an Australian Passport as well.

Thanks again!!

Have a look at this it is for Queensland but should cover most of it. Obviously the qualifications you have will be higher than any Certs but if you can exchange some of them for a few Cert IV's or Diplomas it may help http://skillomatic.theworklab.com.au

If you have a permanent visa, I guess that means that you can work in any industry? If it does mean that, then look for something else, do your RSA course and get a job in a pub, work in an office, etc.

I work as a casual data entry clerk for the ATO (Aussie Tax Office) and there are plenty of graduates in various disciplines working there doing the same thing, whilst they look for something in their chosen field.

When I went back to England, I had no intention of working as a postman, but I got a job on the strength of my typing skills, and ended up being a postman for twelve years (in a mail centre), best job I've ever had too.

Hi all, this is my first time on any forum.

i complete understand how you are feeling bradbougourd, I am just north of Brisbane and been here just over 5 week and applied for approx 100 jobs with very little interest.

I have 15 years experience in mechanical engineering 13 off them hands on, with supervisory experience for 6 years. My last 18 months was as a project engineer. I also have numerous qualification advance apprenticeship papers, Cad, foundation degree, and 6 month from completing my B-eng honours degree. So much for the land of opportunities!!!

I have applied for a broad range of work, from graduate, mechanical fitter, to experienced engineer position, but I'm just not getting a look in. I have been to a few industrial est and been in to a few premises, but they are faceless, just referring you to apply online. From what I've been told mining has been on the down town for a while, and you won't get al look in if you a new recruit even if you have all the licences. But I have worked in oil and gas, yes I know Perth is the hub, but Qld is still meant to be busy as well!

i went into a TAFE last week to look at getting my qualification Australian recognised, but this cost quite a bit. I though UK education was meant to be regarded as a good standard! Ain't nuts and bolts all the same. As they are all made in China any how.

Or or is it just the fact it ain't what you know it who you know? so that puts us in a bit of a difficult place. Or is it the fact these jobs are really not their? It all EOI.

It would be really good to hear from someone with some positives, as it really can't be as bad as what I think it is.

Thanks is hope to hear from someone soon

Hi all, this is my first time on any forum.

i complete understand how you are feeling bradbougourd, I am just north of Brisbane and been here just over 5 week and applied for approx 100 jobs with very little interest.

I have 15 years experience in mechanical engineering 13 off them hands on, with supervisory experience for 6 years. My last 18 months was as a project engineer. I also have numerous qualification advance apprenticeship papers, Cad, foundation degree, and 6 month from completing my B-eng honours degree. So much for the land of opportunities!!!

I have applied for a broad range of work, from graduate, mechanical fitter, to experienced engineer position, but I'm just not getting a look in. I have been to a few industrial est and been in to a few premises, but they are faceless, just referring you to apply online. From what I've been told mining has been on the down town for a while, and you won't get al look in if you a new recruit even if you have all the licences. But I have worked in oil and gas, yes I know Perth is the hub, but Qld is still meant to be busy as well!

i went into a TAFE last week to look at getting my qualification Australian recognised, but this cost quite a bit. I though UK education was meant to be regarded as a good standard! Ain't nuts and bolts all the same. As they are all made in China any how.

Or or is it just the fact it ain't what you know it who you know? so that puts us in a bit of a difficult place. Or is it the fact these jobs are really not their? It all EOI.

It would be really good to hear from someone with some positives, as it really can't be as bad as what I think it is.

Thanks is hope to hear from someone soon

How are you applying for these jobs?

Thanks to both of you.

Thanks again!!

If you have an Aussie passport, then my advice is to look for any job you can find, i.e. not just in your field. I work as a casual data entry clerk for the Australian Tax Office, and there are plenty of graduates there doing the same job whilst they apply for other jobs in their chosen discipline. One left this year, after working there for two years before they obtained a job in their field. Once you have a job, any job, it takes some of the pressure off, you are earning money, working. Sometimes you end up working somewhere you never intended to be, like it, and stay there. I went back to England for a holiday, applied for a temporary job with the Post Office, and ended up staying there for twelve years because I liked it.

I have previously posted this information below.......and just to add......the statistics were from a year or more ago, but the reality is the job market in my opinion and from talking to recruiters both external and in-house has not improved in the last 2 years (certainly not in Adelaide), so these figures would still be a good guide. Recruiters now receive so many applications for jobs they can pick and choose and there is an oversupply of engineers. As migrants to Australia the majority of us arrive without 'Australian experience', but the majority of us will find work. You also need to apply for jobs that you have a realistic chance of gaining an interview for. I have worked with many migrants and I ask them to bring along copies of job adverts they have applied for. Most of them think they 'meet all the criteria' in the advert, but when I then break it down and say "they are asking for XYZ, have you got this or have experience of this?", the answer is usually "well no but.....". Migrants often put in their resumes too much information that is irrelevant to the Australian job market or recruiters don't understand and it detracts from the information you want the recruiter to read. The job market (certainly in Adelaide, not sure about other states) will start to slow down now and I always advise migrants if they are coming over in Nov/Dec/Jan, they need to be prepared financially to cover themselves possibly until the New Year until the market picks up again. Have you registered with recruitment agencies? Tell them you are available for temp or perm work, have you got a LinkedIn profile, are you attending networking events, opportunities can present themselves this way from not what you know but who you know.

Taken from the Career One job supplement in The Advertiser(Adelaide), but the figures will be for Australia wide.

Jobseekers should leave at least 3 months for their job search and be prepared for it to take even longer to get into work or find a better position.

That is the median length of time it is taking unemployed jobseekers to be hired as well as a rough guide for those already employed and applying for work elsewhere.

Time spent looking for work...

1 to 4 weeks -16%

4 to 13 weeks -38%

13 to 26 weeks- 18%

26 - 52 weeks -20%

Whole year - 8%

The time it takes people to get jobs of course varies depending on many factors. This is a guide for people coming over as to how long it may take to secure work.People start panicking when they have only been here for a few weeks and don't have a job, but the process of securing work can take time.

In our own circumstances our first jobs back when we arrived in 2007 (and jobs were definitely more plentiful than now in my opinion), my OH gained a temp position with 1 week of arriving and a perm position within 3 weeks of us arriving. I gained a perm position 10 weeks after arriving.

We were both lucky securing perm jobs for our first jobs. I feel if we were arriving now it would be more likely that we would secure temporary contract roles to start with.

Edited by Jessica Berry

Hi All thank you for your comments and advice, very much appreciate the response.

I have mostly been applying via seek and a few main company websites. Could anyone offer any recommend websites to use to find jobs that are actually available to save wasting time. No I don't have a Australian passport.

Yes my wife may have a job insurance, so we could possibly have a income coming in soon, which would be good, as this will slow down the process of eating into our savings we want to put towards a house. This then limits me getting a job as we have 2 kids that are at school, so I may have to find something part time, because my wife has to do 6 week full time training. The plan was for her to find a part time job once I had a full time work.. thing never go to plan..

Yes I have registered with a few agencies online, sending a cover letter telling my availability but not to much response, I probably need to follow up more, but I just didn't what to seam like a nuisance calling. last agency I spoke said they use same guys normally, once they finish work on last job they move on there next project. Mostly engineering work that seam to pop up is in WA.

I see there is a Queensland gas conference end of November in Brisbane, was thing of attending to see if any job opportunities being advertised, not sure the event is really for this, surly couldn't do any harm. is there any other employment event in Brisbane area relating to engineering would be good hear.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like a massive hustle is required to get in somewhere doing something you are trained for. A few of my mates who migrated to Aus basically said face-to-face meetings and personal connections is what gets your started - which in today's modern online world of email, digital resume style is a bit tricky.

In short, i would suggest making friends with people in your industry quickly. Try and physically get on their radar. Then they can give you a 'fair go'.

It sounds like a massive hustle is required to get in somewhere doing something you are trained for. A few of my mates who migrated to Aus basically said face-to-face meetings and personal connections is what gets your started - which in today's modern online world of email, digital resume style is a bit tricky.

In short, i would suggest making friends with people in your industry quickly. Try and physically get on their radar. Then they can give you a 'fair go'.

Get hold of a copy of the What Color Is Your Parachute book, very relevant to job seeking here.

Landing the 1st job in Australia is the hardest part! In particular when employers can't 'transfer' overseas qualification to Australian relevant standards.

Therefore it's easier to employ staff with Australian papers, licences etc. because then they can assume a certain skill level.

I did a Cert III 2 years ago and on top a Cert IV this year(Community Services, aged care related) which was a real door opener to better job opportunities. On the other hand, my other half working in manufacturing got his overseas apprenticeship and skill assessment from TRA fully accepted and acknowledged from most employers but not all recruiters (!) and found a job 3 weeks after touchdown.

Most employers don't care what overseas qualification migrants have, many only know Australian standards - depending in which line of work it makes people employable or vice versa.

My advise would be take any job/low entry job because that can be used as a reference/Australian work experience and move on. From my own experience it can only get better and adding Australian referees makes it easier.