Getting employment.

hawkmoon1704

Hey all :0) a few questions....

Has anyone managed to get a job before landing?

What is the standard attire for interviews?

What is the interview format?

Is getting a job easier once you actually get there?

Is it best to be in the state/city when applying for a job there?

I know there's no hard and fast rules here, but please answer based on your own experiences.

Thanks, Ian.

It is quite difficult to secure work when your not there in person to attend interviews etc but not impossible.

As for which State, that will depend on your occupation and a touch of luck, you would probably be best to look at websites like Seek.com to get an idea of job availability in varying States, the other option is to contact company's direct (again best done in person).

Attire will again depend on your trade.

Cal x

Hi,

I think it depends on a few things. I've been looking for prospective employers for around a year now. Before applying for a visa, with my visa app pending and now that I have my visa. We haven't moved yet, but soon.

So far, I've been almost completely ignored by Aussie employers regardless of what stage of the process I've been at. I know that I need licences for my trade and can't get them until I arrive, but am hopeful that when I am there and have a permanent address, the relevant licences and just being there in the state when applying, hopefully I will get a better response.. But very difficult to say. I would have thought that it would depend on your line of work, how much call there is for it, whether they can get Aussie to do it or not, whether you're willing to be flexible when considering where to live etc..

I'm constantly looking at my job all across Australia to see how often they are advertised, difference in wages in different states and cities. Though I'm also told that a large percentage of jobs are never advertised, so it might just be a case of getting your feet on the ground and crossing your fingers.. That's what I'll be doing anyway.. Best of luck to you.. :wink:

Haha @boganbear yeah I'll try that when I go for the job doing nights at a 24hr fuel station ;)

@calNgary and @Nearlythere1 thanks for the reply I'm getting very little response and I'm sure it's cos I'm here and not just round the corner. I got a knock back from a job in a steel mill in Rooty Hill telling me I was overqualified if anything haha Ive worked in a steel mill in UK for 25 years on the tools and was applying for a similar job so it's gotta be the distance thing eh?

Cheers, Ian.

It is quite difficult to secure work when your not there in person to attend interviews etc but not impossible.

As for which State, that will depend on your occupation and a touch of luck, you would probably be best to look at websites like Seek.com to get an idea of job availability in varying States, the other option is to contact company's direct (again best done in person).

Attire will again depend on your trade.

Cal x

Proof read any covering letters and your CV (often called a resume here) and know the difference between your and you're; company's and companies.

Sorry, Cal, but I see so many applications that have simple errors like those and quite often have come from recruitment agencies.

Agree with both the above I always proof read my CV and cover letters even if I'm sloppy in chat forums I never am with that other stuff. Got an Aussie address and an email but sadly I think the +44 on my mobile gives the game away :confused:

Yeah, gonna get my mate in Aus to pick up a sim in a couple of weeks for me lol.. Bit of a give away that one.. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
Agree with both the above I always proof read my CV and cover letters even if I'm sloppy in chat forums I never am with that other stuff. Got an Aussie address and an email but sadly I think the +44 on my mobile gives the game away :confused:

You can buy an Australian phone number from Skype (or other suppliers) and have it divert to your UK mobile - but could catch you out if they ask you to come in for an interview tomorrow:biglaugh:

Suit, regardless of interview. I started a new position yesterday and I was pretty much told what to wear on a daily basis and it's smart.

Accent, apparently not a problem possibly even an advantage. Rural folk are less keen and also like less formal clothes.

Address, be honest, provide UK contacts etc until you are here and then immediately provide Aus details.

You can secure work from UK, I did but the company did interview me 3 times by phone and once in their London office.

I would suggest work is harder to secure and you will find there are get out clauses in the contract, they don't know you, whether you can do the job, will fit in or even get homesick. Remember the employer is taking a much greater risk than you.

Have an Aus postal address which needs to be long term, friends etc. Short term rentals are frowned upon.

Get your TFN, Medicare, driving licence etc sorted out immediately after landing, all helps.

S