Stuck on Jobs front - advice / help needed please

gemmasayad

:arghh:

My husband is an ex royal marine, 12 years service - various tours of afghan, iraq and off the somalian coast.

He left the marines in 2012, did maritime security for a while but has been based in the UK doing security since our son was born.

He has tried to get into the oil/gas industry for approximately 3 months with no luck so far... completed Confined Space & Rescue, Working at Height, Rope Access OPITO H2S, OPITO BOSIET, OPITO MIST, OPITO Blaster / Painter and Compressed Air EBS (Emergency Breathing System) courses but had no success in getting offshore as yet.

We are planning to move to Australia in the near future (im an Aussie so he should get a partner visa).

He doesn't want to make the move without the prospect of some work, so was hoping for some experience offshore before the big move.

Poly welding is meant to be a growing industry in Australia - he was considering going down that route, but he's not sure what to do.

Any suggestions as what he could be concentrating on to get work in Oz?

He's emailed a few companies and don't seem to be getting any response, so is stuck where to concentrate his efforts.

Any advice would be welcomed :yes:

:arghh:

My husband is an ex royal marine, 12 years service - various tours of afghan, iraq and off the somalian coast.

He left the marines in 2012, did maritime security for a while but has been based in the UK doing security since our son was born.

He has tried to get into the oil/gas industry for approximately 3 months with no luck so far... completed Confined Space & Rescue, Working at Height, Rope Access OPITO H2S, OPITO BOSIET, OPITO MIST, OPITO Blaster / Painter and Compressed Air EBS (Emergency Breathing System) courses but had no success in getting offshore as yet.

We are planning to move to Australia in the near future (im an Aussie so he should get a partner visa).

He doesn't want to make the move without the prospect of some work, so was hoping for some experience offshore before the big move.

Poly welding is meant to be a growing industry in Australia - he was considering going down that route, but he's not sure what to do.

Any suggestions as what he could be concentrating on to get work in Oz?

He's emailed a few companies and don't seem to be getting any response, so is stuck where to concentrate his efforts.

Any advice would be welcomed :yes:

Not sure how many are polywelding out here these days. I know that we had to bring guys in from the USA a few years back to carry out some major polywelding on tanks at the place I worked at.

Have you thought about him enlisting out here, and doing another stint till you get established?

We use poly welding in the construction industry, on sewer lines mainly, we have a couple of our own guys that can do it, but we mainly use subbies, so there may be opportunities available but I guess they would be limited. All uk qualifications do not, in general terms mean anything out in the workplace here in Aus, so local qualifications will have to be gained once you are here I am afraid, and similar regarding employment it will be difficult to get a job until you are actually here, that could be why you are having problems at present.

Good luck.