midwife AHPRA application

midwife momma

Hi, I was under the impression that diploma qualified nurses were having major problems with AHPRA but that if you were degree qualified all was good. However following a discussion with another midwife she said even our degree doesn't meet AHPRA's standards.

PLEASE does anyone have any recent experience of gaining approval as a midwife x

Hi I am a midwife with a degree and got registered this year. I had no problems really, however, I have heard that that r making the assessment process tougher! My migration agent told me that, but I don't know y this would be really?! Y don't u ring them and ask? I have phoned them a few times at midnight and they have always been fine. Or u could send them an email?

good luck! X

Apparantly ahpra are now wanting evidence of 20 caseloading cases....if that means anything to you? Sorry I'm a nurse not a midwife! A lot of midwives are having trouble with this at the moment.

I didn't have to provide case loading evidence but that only applies to community midwives! In the hospital we don't have caseloads?! Sounds strange?! X

Hi I have applied in April this year and my registration is still ongoing! Story so far:- degree qualified 2 years in August and had a full time post since then. Sent all documentation off in April ( beginning) to Brisbane as was meant to be one of the quicker offices. Had good communication from Brisbane and had to send a few things back i.e statement of service detailing recent employment. I had obtained this very quickly from my employers and by the time I sent everything else they would not accept the date on this.

I also was sent a link to the new Criteria for midwives which I sent as much as I could:- criteria 8 was a letter from Uni/verifications 2/3 also from uni and had already sent transcript of training so thought that would suffice!

Brisbane then confirmed all documentation and advised was sent to Sydney office. This was mid June and nothing until I received a letter and email saying my documentation was not complete:- wanted criteria 2/3/5/6/8! I then disputed this and sent a long email advising I had already sent all this and did they not communicate with each other. This was beginning of August. I received an email back advising then that I only needed criteria 5/6 but only had until end of Aug to get it. I was travelling in America at the time and asked for an extension and have been given to end Sept.

I have sent off for the detailed modules from my Uni who need to certify them and will then send them to Aus but I will not be able to provide the evidence for criteria 5 specifically 20 caseload women as although case loading was part of my course not 20! In the email they have sent they have asked me to advise them if I can not provide further evidence on this and why.

Sorry for long email but hope it helps and will update on this thread in next few weeks. I am flying to Perth mid Oct on WHV and staying with my aunt and if registration refused I will apply for New Zealand registration!!

Jilldesp when did you get registration? Evidence says criteria re case loading is during training not post reg. I work on birth suite and they want evidence of 20 caseload women! Laura.

Hi I have applied in April this year and my registration is still ongoing! Story so far:- degree qualified 2 years in August and had a full time post since then. Sent all documentation off in April ( beginning) to Brisbane as was meant to be one of the quicker offices. Had good communication from Brisbane and had to send a few things back i.e statement of service detailing recent employment. I had obtained this very quickly from my employers and by the time I sent everything else they would not accept the date on this.

I also was sent a link to the new Criteria for midwives which I sent as much as I could:- criteria 8 was a letter from Uni/verifications 2/3 also from uni and had already sent transcript of training so thought that would suffice!

Brisbane then confirmed all documentation and advised was sent to Sydney office. This was mid June and nothing until I received a letter and email saying my documentation was not complete:- wanted criteria 2/3/5/6/8! I then disputed this and sent a long email advising I had already sent all this and did they not communicate with each other. This was beginning of August. I received an email back advising then that I only needed criteria 5/6 but only had until end of Aug to get it. I was travelling in America at the time and asked for an extension and have been given to end Sept.

I have sent off for the detailed modules from my Uni who need to certify them and will then send them to Aus but I will not be able to provide the evidence for criteria 5 specifically 20 caseload women as although case loading was part of my course not 20! In the email they have sent they have asked me to advise them if I can not provide further evidence on this and why.

Sorry for long email but hope it helps and will update on this thread in next few weeks. I am flying to Perth mid Oct on WHV and staying with my aunt and if registration refused I will apply for New Zealand registration!!

Jilldesp when did you get registration? Evidence says criteria re case loading is during training not post reg. I work on birth suite and they want evidence of 20 caseload women! Laura.

Hi ,

i completed my application with them last year and officially registered in Maybefore the letterof eligibility ran out! I did not have to provide evidence of case loading, just my transcript and degree stuff. I have been a midwife for 18 years. I'm so glad I registered before these changes came in! Best of luck x

Thanks Jillsdesp yes good that you applied then. I am going to Perth any way for 12 months so may be working in a bar instead! NZ reg can be converted to Aus reg without all the criteria but will see if I like Australia first and actually I do fancy trying NZ too. Such a shame if midwives/ nurses don't get registered due to the new criteria. In Perth they are opening a new hospital and they are struggling to staff with Nurses/ Midwives and evidence in Australia suggests that they will have a massive shortage of healthcare staff in years to come. Laura x

Update from AHPRA on website, midwives who meet all other criteria except for 20 continuity care will be registered but need to undertake 12 months supervised practice. Not the best outcome but better than nothing, and a result due to the persistence of a group of passionate midwives and nurses.

Edited by colettemg123
grammar

i just can't believe it, we have to jump through so many hoops to get there :-( I'm only at the beginning of the visa process, IELTS twice, sent to get my IELTS writing re marked due to being half a point out, now this! I will be moving to community at some point next year but still can't believe we have to caseload 20 women! Anyone know what supervised practice entails? what are the chances of us getting jobs over there on supervised practise! we dont want to wait too long so dont want to start the process next year due to my sons age. really fed up now :-( my husbands job is on the needed careers list but he doesn't have any official qualifications for what he does its just what he has learnt over time over 20 years. totally fed up now :-(

Hi Manchester lass no I do not have the 20 continuing cares. Kelly sorry but I can't find the media release you are referring to. I have found the one re people registering with ANMAC and now not having to be processed under same criteria. I.E re their qualification. Is it on a link from there?

Although it seems incredibly unfair, it is a massive step forward, as they were refusing to register midwives without 20 c care experiences prior to this. The way I see it (now I have calmed down) is that the door is now open when it was very firmly closed, and if Oz is your dream then it looks like the only way forward.

Haha....Colette you HAVE calmed down! ;-)

I have Kelly!! I spoke with a very level headed colleague yesterday and she said if I am going to live in another country I better get used to things being done differently than I'm used to, not just on this issue but in general. It made a lot of sense. I also have had a little vino this weekend ;) It helps after that twitter chat yesterday! I'm still on a roll with my questions to Ahpra though x