Air con Engineer and Arctick license

B Bear

Hi guys,

I'm an A/C refrigeration engineer, I've just had my 189 Visa granted and looking for jobs.

as I'm not currently in Australia, can I obtain a license from the UK or do I have to do it in Australia? I've had my skills assessed as part of my visa application but employers are asking for my Arctick license!! It seems to be a catch 22 situation, I need a job to obtain the license but I need a license to get a job!!

can anyone shed any light on this matter??? :confused:

Unfortunately lots of tradesmen have to get State licencing before they commence work. You can try contacting these guys ,explain what UK certs you have and see if they can cross reference any so you may be able to skip some competencies. I think you will have to wait until you arrive as im not sure you can get the ball rolling with courses etc in the UK.

http://www.arctick.org/index.php

Cal x

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Cal,

I'll be sure to check out the Arctick website when I get back to the UK. I noticed you're originally from Bury, we're also from Manchester.

We're currently doing a reccie and we're heading to Brisbane next week. What's Jimboomba like??? My Wife and I are checking out suburbs in and around Brisbane.

Cheers Pete

We are just under an hour south of the city and the same inland of the gold coast, we love it here , nice and quiet and green and spacious compared to the inner city suburbs yet everything you need is still on hand. Just make sure you drive, drive and drive some more when your looking around ,there are lots of nice suburbs in and around Brisbane though so you will be spoilt for choice,lol

Cal x

1. Does ARC accept qualifications and experienced gained overseas?
    Your overseas qualifications will need to be assessed to Australian standards before they can be accepted as part of the licence assessment process. Trades Recognition Australia is a national organisation who can assist. As well, there are many state-based registered training organisations (RTO) who can provide recognition of prior learning. Visit the Training Organisations directory on the ARC website to search for RTOs.
    For further information we recommend you visit their websites. We suggest you contact ARC once you arrive in Australia and we will assist you with your application. Information regarding Refrigerant Handling Licences can be view on our web sitewww.arctick.org

2. I have already had my skills and qualifications assessed as part of the visa application procedure and have already received my skilled migrant visa.
    In most circumstances you are required to complete some form of Gap Training. If you have an “Offshores Technical Skills Record” and you’re working for an employer you can apply for a trainee licence. Your proof will be the Offshores Technical Skills Record and you will also need to supply certified photo along with the supervisor declaration.

3. Can I make an application for an ARC licence before I arrive in Australia?
    Yes, however if you haven’t had your qualifications/experience recognised by the above organisations, you application will be assessed as incomplete, You will have 6 months from the date of the application to supply your documentation, e.g. proof of Enrolment, Supervisor’s Declaration and Passport Quality Photo.
    If you fail to supply the documents within the required time frame then the application is taken to have been withdrawn with loss of the application fee, and you will be required to start again as a new applicant.
    We suggest you contact ARC once you arrive in Australia and we will assist you with your application. Information regarding Refrigerant Handling Licences can be view on our web site www.arctick.org