• Newcomers Australia
    Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By scuffythetugboat

Thread: Barrow Island CKJV jobs (The Gorgon Project)

Title
      Liked
      117 times
      Rep

Barrow Island CKJV jobs (The Gorgon Project)

The Gorgon project has been on the go for years with the potential for loads of work for skilled trades people and a worry that there would not be enough skilled people to fill the vacancies. At the end of 2012 the "Be a Part of Something Big" campaign was advertised on the net, on the radio and in the newspapers. I along with probably thousands of others decided to apply for a position on the project having the experience, residency requirements and qualifications to fill the vacancies.

I applied for the job online and filled in the required forms back in November 2012. I then completed 2 online tests, both of which I passed. After some weeks I was invited to go downtown Perth to a 'Roadshow' in the week before Christmas 2012 at which I was booked into a series of 3 days of welding tests, a medical and a one day induction at the AMC in Henderson.

I completed my weld tests (3 days of testing) and I was told that I was successful personally. I passed my medical as it was a month later that I attended the induction.

Looks good I thought!

No, I am unsuccessful at this stage they said.

In the months since they have advertised all around Australia for welders.

So what have you got to do to get on this job?

Anyone working for CKJV or Chandler Mecleod know?
      Paul1Perth likes this.

Title
      Liked
      3762 times
      Rep
      One of my neighbours works on it and finds that they advertise a lot for people, but often only actually need one or two people. There are also an increasing amount of tradies looking for work

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      439 times
      Rep
      False advertising and its to do with equal opportunities or something so they all have to advertise. many of the jobs aren't even on the cards or they have to advertise even if they just want to transfer someone internally.
      The Gorgon project is about to finish though and they will be ramping down from now onwards. The facility is well over half built now so there will be another few thousand looking for work here mid/end of next year.

As far as work goes there is still a fair bit about, maintenance based but the rotations are getting worse - 3 weeks on and 1 off which is only good for someone single

If your not here already I would have a serious think - boom is well over now and there are a lot more jobs elsewhere in warm climates

Title
      Perth basher
      Liked
      1031 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by dustyroad View Post
      False advertising and its to do with equal opportunities or something so they all have to advertise. many of the jobs aren't even on the cards or they have to advertise even if they just want to transfer someone internally.
      The Gorgon project is about to finish though and they will be ramping down from now onwards. The facility is well over half built now so there will be another few thousand looking for work here mid/end of next year.

As far as work goes there is still a fair bit about, maintenance based but the rotations are getting worse - 3 weeks on and 1 off which is only good for someone single

If your not here already I would have a serious think - boom is well over now and there are a lot more jobs elsewhere in warm climates
      My mates working on it and I know 100% that their not taking on due to no more available accommodation on the project.
      paul

•