Backpacker wage in cafe/bar/restaurant in Sydney

1875HFC

Moving to Sydney on a WHV in October 2013 and I am 22. I will be looking for any work in cafe/bar/restaurants as I have 5 years experience as a waiter back in Scotland.

Brutally honest, how much would I expect to make as a waiter full time in a restaurant?

Thanks

Not quite the same as you....but last August when we arrived my 16 year old, just out of school daughter, with zero work experience got a job in a cafe here in Perth, the wage $30 an hour as a casual worker getting 7+ hours a day.

No shortage of work in the hospitalty trade

FIFI this sounds very encouraging for me. It appears the hospitality trade has a lot of employment opportunities at the moment, I really hope that I will find a job with relative ease, I am a hard grafter!

Will be nice to earn a wage after graduating from Uni which is hard work with no financial return!

Make sure you don't make it all work and no play! 12 months will fly, and Australia is a huge place to explore. There won't be many times in your life from now on when you will actually need so little money to live, and have so few responsibilities - go and do everything!! :)

This is very true! I think I would like a job to also be able to meet people as well as make some spending money to fund further travels. Restaurants and cafes would be ideal with attractive wages compared to the UK. I currently earn £6.00p/h in UK, which is far below the minimum wage in Australia.

I am also very good at living as a student and spending wisely so will hopefully be able to save plenty!

This is very true! I think I would like a job to also be able to meet people as well as make some spending money to fund further travels. Restaurants and cafes would be ideal with attractive wages compared to the UK. I currently earn £6.00p/h in UK, which is far below the minimum wage in Australia.

I am also very good at living as a student and spending wisely so will hopefully be able to save plenty!

Sounds like you will get on great. My daughter works with a lot of Irish out her doing the same and apparently most of them head back after a couple of years on the WHV with $20,000+ saved, and theyve still managed to have a great time.

If only i could have my life again, i know what i would be doing:yes:

Thats amazing, I havnt thought about staying beyond 1 year however when I arrive this could be a distinct possibility! Although i do understand ti would be wise to do my 88 days on a farm near the beginning of the first year rather than leave it too late to be granted a 2nd WHV for year 2.

Not sure if signing up to Job websites is the best option nearer the time or whether to trawl cafes and restaurants with copies of my CV in the hope of getting a Job!?

Yes defo do your regional work first.

I do temp work in Perth and have worked with WHVers who have done the regional work and then get 6 months goverment contracts.

Which if nothing else looks good on the CV.

Again dont know about Sydney but a lot of cafes/bars/restaurants just put signs on their windows when advertising

In Sydney imho you would be looking at between $18-$20/hour - $30 is a tad high due to the thousands of whv peeps on the east coast desperate for money, whereas there are fewer hospitality workers over west.

But still so so much better than the UK :) You can check out what is called the award rate for each job if you google it, the award rate is the min. Wage for that job, its worked out on different jobs over here, rather than just one blanket rate. Worst case scenario is probably $15/hour :)

Trawling places is more likely to throw something up, as for every advert loads of people apply, and first one to apply generally gets it, which is annoying, but showing you've made the effort of going around gets your face remembered and then when they have an opening that weekend, hopefully they'll call you. Just dont do any 'free trials', that's just people ripping you off. Also the face to face thing throws up other things (yeah, ny mate tony is looking for a waiter....here's his number) type of thing, which is helpful. :)

Edited by PositivePixie

This is some great advice and very comforting knowing that I might have a good chance finding casual employment. It seems that just getting yourself out there and applying for jobs all over the place will be fruitful at some point or the other. $15 p/h in worst case scenario is incredible compared to the UK!!