Floor finisher

Guest julie1973

Guest julie1973

Hi i am new to this site, me my husband and 2 boys are thinking of moving to australia, can someone help and tell me which states are looking for floor finishers, my husband has his own business as a karndean/amtico fitter and wondered where the best place would be to move to, and help greatly appreciated :smile:

Hi Julie

im in a very similar position to you, we did start the process off last year and we were advised that Adelaide are doing state sponsorship for floor finishers, as long as your husband has his qualifications/papers he wont need to do a skills test but he will need to do the general IELTS test. We had to put our plans on hold as i fell pregnant with baby number 2, however im starting to get 'the bug' again and believe that oz would be a better life for us. We are struggling with getting a realistic idea of what floor finishers can realisitcally earn?? we keep hearing mixed reports?? do u know about earnings? Bit scary doing all this hard work with a risk of lower earnings in oz, although im sure thats not the case?? im hoping its not....If i hear of anything else, i'll let u know, and if you do, if u wouldnt mind letting me know..... good luck....

J xx

Guest julie1973

Hi Jgal, thanks for your reply, we heard that Adelaide was the best option as well as Victoria has a big karndean headquarters, i don't know as yet what the pay is going to be like hopefully it will be good if the pay was lower would it be worth the move i'm not sure, we have got to look now for a sponsor then we can apply for our 457 visa, will let you know of any progress, good luck your end xxx

Guest julie1973

Hi can someone give me any help on which state they think would be the best one to move to on a 457 visa, my husband is a floor finisher and needs to find a employer to sponsor him just wondered where the most work for flooring is in Australia.....thanks xx

• 11 months later...

Hi, just came across your forum, have you got any further with your move to oz?

My husband is a floor finisher and were currently living on the Mornington peninsula an hour and half from melbourne, have 2 boys and have been here just short of a year, like you we had a business in the uk and a decent life but just wanted to try this new life.my advise to you is be very careful about who sponsors you, for us it's has been financial suicide coming here, my husband is on a very poor wage for what he does and is being completely used every day, he hates his job and employers and there is absolutely nothing he can do about it, the only reason we are still with them is because once we get perm residency ( fingers and toes crossed) he will be able to earn a fortune and for a lot less work. For us as a family we have such a better standard of life as far as the weather, being able to go to the beach after school, we love it and wouldn't change that but on the negative side we didn't come here to live and be financially unconfertable and for my husband to work sometimes six day to make up the money. I really hope things will get better then it will all have been worth it. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

• 8 months later...
Hi, just came across your forum, have you got any further with your move to oz?

My husband is a floor finisher and were currently living on the Mornington peninsula an hour and half from melbourne, have 2 boys and have been here just short of a year, like you we had a business in the uk and a decent life but just wanted to try this new life.my advise to you is be very careful about who sponsors you, for us it's has been financial suicide coming here, my husband is on a very poor wage for what he does and is being completely used every day, he hates his job and employers and there is absolutely nothing he can do about it, the only reason we are still with them is because once we get perm residency ( fingers and toes crossed) he will be able to earn a fortune and for a lot less work. For us as a family we have such a better standard of life as far as the weather, being able to go to the beach after school, we love it and wouldn't change that but on the negative side we didn't come here to live and be financially unconfertable and for my husband to work sometimes six day to make up the money. I really hope things will get better then it will all have been worth it. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Hi. I haven't been on the forum for a while but have been living out in Melbourne, Victoria since August 2012. My partner is an established floor finisher and has been doing it for around 27 years now. Back in the UK he was mainly commercial on the vinyl side and can also do domestics and carpet. Out here it is split. You are either a vinyl layer or a carpet layer. He was approached before we got here and so we were lucky to come to a job. This was on a 176 skilled visa and on state sponsorship - not employer sponsored. It took us 3 years to get here but that was because we were unlucky with a couple of agents and we also had to undergo an AQF III to prove his skills and we got caught up in the previous election and the political change. Another layer we know got here a lot quicker.

In my struggle to find work I am also working for a flooring company and between me and my partner we know that there is a huge shortage of skilled and experienced floor fitters out here. If you are still looking to come out and are interested in Victoria we can kindly offer you advise and have some contacts that may be of use. If you particularly have skills in the commercial vinyl area then that would be an added bonus. I am so sick of my partner working such long hours to help his boss out, not because he financially has to, but because they are short of experienced staff. The subbies just come and go to suit and their skills don't seem to match that of the UK. We would be willing to help link a gap with the UK to help aid someone else and to help benefit his lovely boss who was really great in helping us when we arrived. I know the blogs are from a while ago but are any of you that are linked to this thread still looking to come out or even out here, or on your way?

It would be good to hear from any professional floor layers.

• 5 months later...
Hi. I haven't been on the forum for a while but have been living out in Melbourne, Victoria since August 2012. My partner is an established floor finisher and has been doing it for around 27 years now. Back in the UK he was mainly commercial on the vinyl side and can also do domestics and carpet. Out here it is split. You are either a vinyl layer or a carpet layer. He was approached before we got here and so we were lucky to come to a job. This was on a 176 skilled visa and on state sponsorship - not employer sponsored. It took us 3 years to get here but that was because we were unlucky with a couple of agents and we also had to undergo an AQF III to prove his skills and we got caught up in the previous election and the political change. Another layer we know got here a lot quicker.

In my struggle to find work I am also working for a flooring company and between me and my partner we know that there is a huge shortage of skilled and experienced floor fitters out here. If you are still looking to come out and are interested in Victoria we can kindly offer you advise and have some contacts that may be of use. If you particularly have skills in the commercial vinyl area then that would be an added bonus. I am so sick of my partner working such long hours to help his boss out, not because he financially has to, but because they are short of experienced staff. The subbies just come and go to suit and their skills don't seem to match that of the UK. We would be willing to help link a gap with the UK to help aid someone else and to help benefit his lovely boss who was really great in helping us when we arrived. I know the blogs are from a while ago but are any of you that are linked to this thread still looking to come out or even out here, or on your way?

hi snowball, we are just in the early stages of considering it. My hubby is a good Floorlayer both domestic and commercial been subbing for 25 or so years now - NICF Master fitter and we opened our own business 3 years ago and are doing well but its hard work for not much reward! I didn't think floor finisher was still on the needed skills list is that right?

Would love a change....

What at is the money like over there?

Thanks for your advice?

hi snowball, we are just in the early stages of considering it. My hubby is a good Floorlayer both domestic and commercial been subbing for 25 or so years now - NICF Master fitter and we opened our own business 3 years ago and are doing well but its hard work for not much reward! I didn't think floor finisher was still on the needed skills list is that right?

Would love a change....

What at is the money like over there?

Thanks for your advice?

You need to go to immi.gov.au and look at the two skills lists - SOL and CSOL to see if the occupation is on there

You need to go to immi.gov.au and look at the two skills lists - SOL and CSOL to see if the occupation is on there

Hi - just looked its def on CSOL list but not sure what that means? Lol we really are at the early stages so not got my head around what's involved yet......?

That is a good result.At least it is on one of the lists.

Because it is only on the CSOL though, it means you need state or business sponsorship. State would be by far the better option as business is usually a temporary visa and may not lead to permanent residence and has a number of restrictions.

So, the next step is to check the state lists for each state to see which are sponsoring. It is easier if you open the Australian version of google - google.com.au and then search. I have just done one for you for WA by typing WA State Sponsorship List. If it isnt on WA - which i couldnt see it, then start looking at each other state one by one.

If no states are sponsoring then you would only be left with business sponsored and the hard part would be trying to get a job with a company willing and able to sponsor

Hi Lmjenk

im a floor layer in Perth i would definitely go for state sponsorship if you can Business sponsorship can be a nightmare depending on the boss in Perth there are very few on wages and the money is a lot worse for sure anybody who wants any information feel free to ask if you want to know rates pm

regards Neil

• 2 months later...
Hi Lmjenk

im a floor layer in Perth i would definitely go for state sponsorship if you can Business sponsorship can be a nightmare depending on the boss in Perth there are very few on wages and the money is a lot worse for sure anybody who wants any information feel free to ask if you want to know rates pm

regards Neil

Hi Neil. I'm Richard and I will be in Australia in January for 12 months on a working holiday visa. I'm a vinyl floor layer with 8 years experience and was wondering if you knew of any flooring companies in Perth that would be willing to give me a job?

thanks for your time.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

My husband is a experience in carpet and vinyl and carenden and we plan to move to australia.

If you got to offer us any help, job wise and some advice will be great.

We intend to stay where we can find jobs.

Thanks

Snowball hasn't been on the forum for some time (November 2013).

I would research the available visas for your occupation. First, thing to look at is if the occupation is still on either the SOL or CSOL. Then look to see if you can pass the skills assessment and the criteria for the visa / points.

Hi,

My husband is a experience in carpet and vinyl and carenden and we plan to move to australia.

If you got to offer us any help, job wise and some advice will be great.

We intend to stay where we can find jobs.

Thanks