Tips for writing competitive Aussie CV's

Freckleface

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ATTACH]12577[/ATTACH]

This is supposed to be a CV template - not sure if the upload is going to work.

Please note:

It looks as though I have accidentally deleted the attachment during a recent clean up of my attachments library and I didn't keep the original so I can't reload it.

Edited by Freckleface

Thanks Freckleface - I like the layout of the CV template, it's simple and clear - if only all the applications I'd seen were that good :)

The other tip I'd give people is to choose your fonts carefully - Italic script might look stunning, but it's a pfaff to read.

I would include professional memberships - but only if relevant, and if the job requires moving between offices or sites (or is in the country) it might be worth mentioning a drivers licence.

If you're not currently working it can be good to include recent volunteer work - particularly if you've just moved to the area as it can demonstrate a tie to the community (i.e. you're not going to quit after a few weeks/months)

:)

Thanks for taking the time to do this freckle face very helpful to know. From your experience do you consider applications from the UK if visa's are in place or still best to just wait until arriving in oz? Thanks again much appreciated!

If you are all set to hop on a plane as soon as you secure a position then - yes submit applications. Understand however that a lot of places will not be interested until you are already here. The trick is working out which ones are which. If I was in your shoes I would call and ask about the position and while on the phone identify you are in not in Aust and ask if your application would be considered. Most will give you an honest answer IMO and this will save you time and effort if they are not interested.

Good luck with your search (and your move)

In some roles it is also useful to demonstrate evidence of ongoing learning so include recent professional development in your extras as well.

Many jobs in Aus these days require you to write to selection criteria so cv on its own won't necessarily do the job, you have to tailor to the position http://www.bom.gov.au/careers/guide2SC.shtml has a good guide to writing to selection criteria - the STAR model is usually given as one to follow.

In some roles it is also useful to demonstrate evidence of ongoing learning so include recent professional development in your extras as well.

Many jobs in Aus these days require you to write to selection criteria so cv on its own won't necessarily do the job, you have to tailor to the position http://www.bom.gov.au/careers/guide2SC.shtml has a good guide to writing to selection criteria - the STAR model is usually given as one to follow.

Ah yes - selection criteria. An art form many aspire to master.

• 4 weeks later...
Many thanks freckleface, you are the best !

First of all I will simplify my 17-page cv deleting all pictures regarding my projects ,,,, too boring.

Do you think its a good idea to have a picture of yourself in the 1st page ?

Hi there,

If your project pictures are for your trade no harm in making it a portfolio and maybe submitting it

like an addendum. Just delink it from the CV so that the CV can be made crisp.

Cheers.

Hi there,

If your project pictures are for your trade no harm in making it a portfolio and maybe submitting it

like an addendum. Just delink it from the CV so that the CV can be made crisp.

Cheers.

Yes, i agree about making a portfolio with selected pics,

but i'm not sure about a picture of me in the 1st page (like id card pic)

Thanks so much for this. All copied and pasted and saved ready for future applications. I really appreciate you sharing the info. Is it right that the Aussies place more emphasis on the cover letter? I have read that opposed to the uk preference for a brief letter followed by CV that Oz prefer a details application letter accompanied by a short CV.

[ATTACH]12577[/ATTACH]

This is supposed to be a CV template - not sure if the upload is going to work.

You are a gem for doing this and I for one am truly grateful for your generosity and professional approach to helping those of us who are struggling. And the template did work.

Thanks so much for this. All copied and pasted and saved ready for future applications. I really appreciate you sharing the info. Is it right that the Aussies place more emphasis on the cover letter? I have read that opposed to the uk preference for a brief letter followed by CV that Oz prefer a details application letter accompanied by a short CV.

No, Aussies place most emphasis on your response to the selection criteria which are required for many jobs these days. A CV and cover letter wont cut it if the employer has asked you to write to selection criteria. Cover letters are often just of the form "Herewith my application for position xyz as advertised in abc on xx/nn//yyyy. In support of this application please find attached my CV and response to selection criteria. I look forward to elaborating on these at interview" Unless (as happens for some jobs) there is a form for the cover letter which will require you to complete particular information.

Yes, i agree about making a portfolio with selected pics,

but i'm not sure about a picture of me in the 1st page (like id card pic)

Hi - yes make a portfolio to go with your CV. Normally I would not recommend including a photo unless asked to do so. The only other exception to this would be for senior executive roles however that is a different type of CV.

Good luck.

Many thanks freckleface, you are the best !

First of all I will simplify my 17-page cv deleting all pictures regarding my projects ,,,, too boring.

Do you think its a good idea to have a picture of yourself in the 1st page ?

OMG - just saw this first post (I was reading the last posts first) - absolutely cull the length. People would die of fright if you sent them 17 pages. Be selective and really tailor your CV to specific roles using the best examples you have in response to the things employers have said they want/need.

Yes this is true however the cover letter should be restricted to one very well written page. Do not exceed one and a half pages.

Writing in a concise manner is not easy for everyone and it takes time to prepare a good cover letter. Remember the point of the cover letter and CV is to get an interview - so you give employers enough to want to talk to you more but you don't swamp them with info.

Good luck.

No, Aussies place most emphasis on your response to the selection criteria which are required for many jobs these days. A CV and cover letter wont cut it if the employer has asked you to write to selection criteria. Cover letters are often just of the form "Herewith my application for position xyz as advertised in abc on xx/nn//yyyy. In support of this application please find attached my CV and response to selection criteria. I look forward to elaborating on these at interview" Unless (as happens for some jobs) there is a form for the cover letter which will require you to complete particular information.

This is only true for roles that specify specific selection criteria - most commonly Government roles.