Nursing Officer: RAF to RAAF?

rodney

Guest Ironduke
'Lo all!

Anybody done it? Comments?

I am a serving RAF Nursing Officer looking into my options.

My biggest concern is what whould happen to my Service pension. I'm on the old scheme.

I've completed 15 years, so not enough to take my pension straight away.

Thoughts? (other than wait! - keen to go soon)

TVM

Hi

Check out the 'RN to RAN' thread, or just type 'navy' in the search box. It is heavilly biased towards the Navy but there are loads of things in itthat are the same and will answer lots of practical questions.

As for your pension, I presume you are on the AF75 one. If you leave before completing your 22 years (or whatever constitutes a full engagement) then you won't be able to take it until 65. I'm sure JPA will be able to assist with the details.

If you are completing a full engagement and you take your pension on leaving as well as your lump sum it is unaffected by joining the ADF. You will still get paid monthly and you can choose to have it paid into an Aussie account or lave it in the UK, there will be some tax implications in Oz though so seek professional advice once there. You join the superannuation scheme when you join the RAAF so get another pension when you have finished with them.

You cannot join the ADF until you fully leave any foreign armed forces and that includes obtaining a waiver for any reserve service liability. You can however start the process of joining whilst in HM Forces and is in fact the usual way of doing it.

Hope this helps

Archived