Midwife for Perth

scotexpat

Jen

It is most likely a little early however once you qualify you will need to work in the UK for at least 2 years before thinking about coming over. How long have you got left in your course? Also most Hospitals over in Australia are keen on everyone having their RN qualification too. (its a must!) You will then once you have passed need to get it passed by AHPRA

• 1 month later...
I would be keen to speak with any Midwife/RN Midwifes who are interested in a move to Perth WA or in Perth WA and lookinf for new employment. david@choiceone.com.au 00618 92153816

Hi. I am currently starting the process of becoming a Midwife in the UK. I have just read what you have said about doing nursing first then do midwifery as it is a must. What are the chances of me getting a job in Oz with just Midwifery?

Thank You x

Hi. I am currently starting the process of becoming a Midwife in the UK. I have just read what you have said about doing nursing first then do midwifery as it is a must. What are the chances of me getting a job in Oz with just Midwifery?

Thank You x

This isn't true. I have lots of friends who have emigrated to Oz and are only qualified midwives not RNs x

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi I am a Uk trained registered nurse and midwife. By the time I would move to oz I would be qualified 14 yrs. Is it true you get paid a salary based on how many years post nurse qualification even though ive practised midwifery the longest. I have kept my nursing registration just incase!! Any into would be appreciated.

Thank you

Jayne:wink: x

• 2 weeks later...

I work as a midwife in brisbane (wrong side of the country for this thread) but just wanted to point out that dual registration is not required for jobs in oz. I have friends who work in Perth and they are direct entry midwives, the same foes for Melbourne. The university courses here are direct entry midwifery too now.

Finally some recognition of midwifery being a separate profession!

in any case a job that requires you to hold dual suggests they are heavily nursing weighted care than midwifery, in which case I wouldn't want to work for them anyway.

• 9 months later...
I would be keen to speak with any Midwife/RN Midwifes who are interested in a move to Perth WA or in Perth WA and lookinf for new employment.

Hi there.

I moved here to Perth 2 weeks ago, as my 2 sons work in WAPOL. I am an experienced midwife of some 28yrs, but looking for a part time position.

Can anyone help? I'm a newly qualified midwife in the UK, I'm going to work here for 2 years for experience then move to Oz Jan 2017, planning on working in Oz for 2 years then will move back to the UK, does anyone know what visa I will need? Also what is ahpra? Thanks zoe

Hi Zoe, AHPRA is basically NMC - the Oz registering body. They are being a little to deal with at the moment in registering overseas. You will be fine if you have caseloaded as part of your degree and it is in your transcript. But it does take a long time to come through so make sure you do that well in advance. If you just want to do 2 years in Australia for definite and youre under 30 you could maybe come on a holiday visa, but if ahpra require you to be supervised for 3 months (if you didnt caseload 10-20 as a student) then you might find it difficult on that visa to find agency work willing to support you. You could however come on a 457 visa which is a 4 year sponsored visa where the hospital will support any supervision and sponsor you to come (you still pay for air fares, accommodation etc), the drawback is that its a temporary visa and you are tied to the place of work and you have to be full time. If you go on the immigration website there is a visa questionnaire which you answer questions and itll tell you the most suitable.

Hope that helps, Becky