Medicare Levy Surcharge

Guest lz57s9

Guest lz57s9

I have read most threads on this subject but am still unclear (how many threads start like this ;)).

I have got platinum health insurance with HBA which states MLS = not exempt. My company arranged and pay for this insurance so i didn't get a say in it. I rang HBA and they said with my level of cover i do not need to use Medicare services? This can't be right can it? But even so, just because i don't use medicare or even register for Medicare doesn't mean i am not liable to pay the 1.5% levy and additional 1% surcharge does it??

plus is the 1% on any income above 73k or entire salary?

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to know the answer to this too. I f you have private medical cover, do you need medicare. What is the general cost of medical cover for someone of about 40 years old??

Thanks all!!

Guest siamsusie
I would love to know the answer to this too. I f you have private medical cover, do you need medicare. What is the general cost of medical cover for someone of about 40 years old??

Thanks all!!

Hi Jeza, I have Medibank Private which is a company policy. I also have Medicare which you need to see your GP and other ancillary professions i.e. opticians.

If your income exceeds the Medicare threshold you will have to pay the additional 1% levy, along with the 1.5% your already paying. I would talk to your employer about your level of cover and find out why your not exempt from the surcharge, (it could be because he pays the premiums) or it could mean paying an additional amount on your premiums to up your level of cover, if your employer doesn't want to pay it, it might be in your interest to pay it, could save you in the long run.

You still need medicare if you have private cover.

Medicare Levy calculator

http://calculators.ato.gov.au/scripts/axos/axos.asp?CONTEXT=&KBS=Medicare09.xr4&go=ok

Archived