Will my LG 220/60hz TV work in OZ?

gypsyowl

I'm moving from South Korea to Brisbane hopefully in a few months, waiting for CPV.

My TV is an LG, 220/60 hz. Do I need a transformer and should I try to get it in SK before I get to OZ?

How about my Yamaha keyboard (220/60)?

Thanks for help!

I'm moving from South Korea to Brisbane hopefully in a few months, waiting for CPV.

My TV is an LG, 220/60 hz. Do I need a transformer and should I try to get it in SK before I get to OZ?

How about my Yamaha keyboard (220/60)?

Thanks for help!

Australian electricity is 220-240 Volts. Generally you only need a transformer for US & Canadian devices (because they operate on 110-120 Volts). You may need to buy a digital tuner (often called a set top box) in Australia (for about $30) to get your TV to work as there's a range of different digital TV standards used around the world and so your TV may not be compatible.

Edited by Ken

Thanks for the quick reply Ken!

Actually I don't watch TV, I just use the flatscreen for streaming movies and dramas from my computer. And $30 is not much if everything will work ok with it. My concern is with the 60 to 50 hz. Because the TV is not motorized like a food processor, it will be ok? Apparently for appliances it can cause burn out.

owl

Yes, you're right Australia is 50Hz (I had to look it up). I don't actually know what happens when you power an appliance with less Hz than it was designed for. It may be that it never needed all the Hz in first place in which case it will make no difference. The whole of Europe uses 50Hz (something else I discovered when looking up what Hz Australia uses) which is why I guess I've never heard of this issue before.

It might work at the wrong frequency, but I wouldn't be confident to say that it definitely would. However, anything with a motor in it should work, but won't work correctly and will likely burn out.

Everything I own is 120v/60hz and I was originally planning to bring some items that I wanted to keep. For example I have an expensive sous vide machine that I love very much. But I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and instead will be selling everything that isn't already dual voltage and start fresh.