trainers and running shoes - buy now or wait?

wozzie2202

Given our impending move to Oz in April and the fast approaching festive season I'm just trying to weigh up whether to pop some pairs of ASIC runners on my xmas list or wait till we move. I have a feeling they may be cheaper over here but can anyone advise. Normally pay for mid range pair, so nothing extortionate. How do sports goods compare? I'm guessing there is no Sports Direct equivalent over there.:wink:

Cheers

Sarah

I use The Athletes Foot here, not the cheapy (not that they are really that much cheaper though) chains (TAF fitting side of things and their knowledge is better).

http://www.theathletesfoot.com.au/

Discount places don't really exist here like in the UK.

http://www.wiggle.com.au/ are now in Aus and you can order online (I do this sometimes after trying something on in store and knowing it fits).

Edited by Guest
typo

Buy there for sure! That's one thing that is definitely more expensive here in my opinion. Amart sports is not too bad. We have also ordered from Sports Direct and even with shipping costs it was cheaper than here. My friend does an annual shop with Sports Direct :-)

http://au.sportsdirect.com/

Hi Sarah, I've recently discovered that there is indeed a sportsdirect Australian website (see link) You can order from the UK site but I think delivery works out at around $40, but with the Oz one is only $9.99! Happy days! You can also order from Next (free delivery over $30) and they stock sports clothing and trainers. I prefer sportsdirect tho!

If they're full price not really much point in buying them in the UK considering all the extra hassle (and weight) of bringing them over (after all we do have DFO and other Factory Outlet Stores) but if you like them and they're on Sale at a big discount and you've room in your container stock up before you come. This advice applies to almost anything not just trainers.

Never have quite grasped how we can have Factory Outlets for goods manufactured on the other side of the planet but while it keeps the prices down I'm not complaining.

Buy just about all my sports gear from wiggle on line. http://www.wiggle.com.au/

It started off as a UK site only I think. Loads of people I hang around with buy stuff from that site, I've had a few pairs of Nike run free for less than $100 and the last pair I bought are Newton AHA for around $100. They are great.

The site is great for just about anything from swimming and triathlon stuff to bikes. Most of my friends go on for biking gear, road and mountain.

• 3 weeks later...

EVERYTHING is cheaper in the UK.

Trainers are a particular rip off here, as are things like jeans. Buy as much as you can post Xmas in the sales in the UK.

As an example, a "bargain" here is when a crappy pair of trainers is something like $130. You can buy the same ones in the UK for £30.

(after all we do have DFO and other Factory Outlet Stores) .

Don't expect any bargains in the DFO - it's rubbish. We were shocked when we first came over at why Australians thought they were getting outlet prices when actually they were paying more or less full retail. A proper outlet should be like the ones in the US, or even Bicester or Cheshire Oaks, not the DFO. Hate the place!

Don't expect any bargains in the DFO - it's rubbish. We were shocked when we first came over at why Australians thought they were getting outlet prices when actually they were paying more or less full retail. A proper outlet should be like the ones in the US, or even Bicester or Cheshire Oaks, not the DFO. Hate the place!

Please reread my post. I didn't say DFO prices were bargains - only that there was no point paying full price in the UK.

The funny thing is that we've found the opposite. My oh has wide feet and wears New Balance. We always bought them at a New Balance factory outlet in Drummoyne. He needed a new pair before we left but we didn't bother as we assumed we'd get them cheaper here.

Lo and behold, the high street stores don't stock the wider widths in store, so we've had to order online. After spending hours searching, the cheapest pair we could find were actually MORE expensive than Australia, for exactly the same shoes.