Digital Air Fryers

NigelWaring

Our deep fryer is just about finished and needs to be mended with a new one. We hope to pop out to Erina Fair, Central Coast on Monday to buy a replacement.

I've just been searching for what is available and found several references to Digital Air Fryers, there's a lot said about them but not really much useful information, they work with little oil and are supposed to be healthy. The cost is quite high but if they are good we don't mind that.

Has anyone here got one? What are they like? Are you glad that you bought it? Should we stay with another deep fryer? It seems that they may need a bit of practice to get things right, might need some skill at selecting the best temperature/time for whatever is being cooked.

Guest Guest66881

Yeah we got one because the kids love sausage rolls for school, and they cook great in one of them over a microwave:eek: quicker than the oven too.

Great for most things really:wink:

We have just bought one. The capacity is smaller than a regular deep fat frier but for a family of three it is fine. As Paulanddeb said they are very good for pastry items and for chips. We make lovely roast potatoes in ours too. We have never used our deep fat frier and it sat in the cupboard for years until we gave it away but we do use the air frier every couple of days.

Edited by Addy

I've been reading a few forums covering these. Those who have used wet batter said it did cook OK but it was very difficult to clean the machine after, the dishwasher alone was not enough.

Several people complained about the size, think we'd need the biggest one available, if it was meant for a family of four that would make enough chips for me but there wouldn't be any for my wife, perhaps we'd have to buy two of them.

Several people said to cook things like chips evenly you had to pause the machine every few minutes and shake or stir the chips or whatever. One day they might bring one out with an agitator. I remember when the first Microwaves came out they didn't have a turntable and you had to keep stopping and moving the food around or it would end up cold one side and red hot the other. On one of the YouTube videos the lady said that she always soaked the chips in water for at least 15 minutes because the machine tended to dry them out.

We have a very poor oven at the moment but when we had a good one I'd often cook chips in it without any oil at all, they were different, tasted good and were probably much healthier. I guess you might be able to do the same thing in these machines.

Well thanks for all the comments and advice so far, it is all very useful and will help us to make up our mind on Monday.

Many thanks everyone for your advice. We are convinced that the hot air fryers are good provided that you have one big enough. Our nearest big shopping centre is at Erina on the Central coast, our local one at Hornsby is good but the Department Stores do not seem to carry much of a range. Anyway at Erina we found mainly very small hot air fryers and just one large one which we found had a broken part inside, even this large one, if it had have been working would probably not have been big enough for us. We will keep looking for an extra large one in a store, we don't want to buy something as new as this online without seeing it first. We ended up buying another deep fryer of the same brand that we had, our old one had lasted about 8 years and is used at least twice a week. Anyway thanks again for all the advice, it has certainly educated us about hot air cooking and we will certainly keep looking for one that is big enough, we might even buy two of them if that is the only way, there might even be real big ones that professionals use. So many kitchen toys now that when we have our kitchen renovated later this year we will make sure there is a working area big enough to handle them all.

• 4 weeks later...
I agree with you Greg but the range in one of Australia's department stores was very poor. Even the largest machine was too small for us and it had broken parts inside, it seemed to be rather flimsy but the general principle of them seemed to be very good.

thanks for your reply nigel i am sorry to hear about broken parts crap, why dont you order online these machines are available everywhere amazon, ebay.

Yes I might do that Greg but as soon as we can organise the builder and council we are going to have some big improvements done to our house. We may even have to move out whilst most of the work is being done. Once it is complete we will be replacing many things and maybe buying new stuff.