Phones calls back to the UK

Gin100

When we arrived in Australia 6 months ago we got a mobile phone deal with international calls capped at $1 so no matter how long you talked it never cost more than $1. The phone company have now removed the cap so I'm looking around for a better deal. I'm wondering what others have found to be the cheapest ways of phoning the UK? We've not got a landline but would perhaps consider getting one. Skype audio would work for some people we phone but not others. Any advice on what works well for other poms in oz would be welcome! Thanks :-)

When we arrived in Australia 6 months ago we got a mobile phone deal with international calls capped at $1 so no matter how long you talked it never cost more than $1. The phone company have now removed the cap so I'm looking around for a better deal. I'm wondering what others have found to be the cheapest ways of phoning the UK? We've not got a landline but would perhaps consider getting one. Skype audio would work for some people we phone but not others. Any advice on what works well for other poms in oz would be welcome! Thanks :-)

Whats really useful is if you have iphones connected to wi-fi you can use facetime audio or video to call other iphones free of charge. But you probably already knew that.

That would be great, Bronyaur, it's just that while we are iPhone users, the people we tend to phone in the UK are not :-(. We also find ourselves having to phone our UK banks, tax office etc from here too & FaceTime/Skype isn't much of an option for that either. I think we could probably make more use of Skype/FaceTime but being able to phone cheaply as well would be ideal...

I'll vouch for TPG, I pay $35.00 a month for $1000.00 credit for Australia or International calls. All texts are free. Plus 2GB data.

I've had my plan for 4-5 years now and never gone over my limit. Now sure they still do the same deal but will be one like it still available I'm sure.

if you still have a uk bank account hook up a number with these guys... http://www.voipfone.co.uk/

you can have a uk phone number with a real phone in your house, for just over £3 a month.

1p a min to call landlines

10p a min to mobiles

the best bit though is that you have a uk number, with a dialing code of your choice. so friends and family can call you for free using their free mins.

we have had this for years and its amazing, more reliable than skype, infact if skype audio breaks up we use it to call and just use skype for the video.

you will need a broadband internet connection and a box that costs about $50.

worth every penny IMHO :)

if you still have a uk bank account hook up a number with these guys... http://www.voipfone.co.uk/

you can have a uk phone number with a real phone in your house, for just over £3 a month.

1p a min to call landlines

10p a min to mobiles

the best bit though is that you have a uk number, with a dialing code of your choice. so friends and family can call you for free using their free mins.

we have had this for years and its amazing, more reliable than skype, infact if skype audio breaks up we use it to call and just use skype for the video.

you will need a broadband internet connection and a box that costs about $50.

worth every penny IMHO :)

I don't think the UK banks would discuss financial matters on that though. I have trouble when using the voip system at my work, they don't like internet systems and tell me to phone back on a landline.

I don't think the UK banks would discuss financial matters on that though. I have trouble when using the voip system at my work, they don't like internet systems and tell me to phone back on a landline.

never had a problem, they think im calling from portsmouth in the uk, as thats what ive got the caller display set to. no issues at all. i guess it's not the same with all banks. natwest halifax n rbos are ok with it.