1100 dial before you dig

SGHJLL

• 3 weeks later...

Bear in mind that the scheme is entirely voluntary on the part of the service providers and generally it does not cover private land like back yards.

The adverts like to make you believe it covers everything ("your one stop shop" - utter rubbish), Telco companies and electric suppliers are usually very good with providing information, however, councils are usually not part of the scheme as they like to charge to provide sewerage information, and it absolutely will not show power extensions to things like sheds.

I deal with this scheme on a daily basis as my job basically involves digging holes, and I always, ALWAYS get a proper service clearance agent in, in addition to the DBYD and any council search. They cost abut $150 per hour and also provide insurance should a site be cleared and a service still encountered. You really don't want to know how much digging an optic fibre up is going to cost you.

The company I worked for would have liked to know that number...Building the Robe River Iron Ore rail line in 1972. Foreman says to D9 'dozer op, "rip that section between the pegs". Oh 'eck...One recently laid coaxial cable gone! Somewhere in the vicinity of $45,000 to fix, never mind the delay etc to all concerned. The pegs were were there to show where the cable was, not as the 'ex' foreman thought.

Cheers, Bobj.