Appliances Online

HappyHeart

Yeah we normally go there but I only need a fridge freezer. Just as well I got your biryani out last night for today, or it would have been wasted. Got to cook everything now, big piece of lamb, gravy beef, looks like my Thursday is going to be busy...and the dog will be well fed....bloody pain. The weather must have finally got to it. Had it 7 years, 6 years here.

Guest The Pom Queen
Yeah we normally go there but I only need a fridge freezer. Just as well I got your biryani out last night for today, or it would have been wasted. Got to cook everything now, big piece of lamb, gravy beef, looks like my Thursday is going to be busy...and the dog will be well fed....bloody pain. The weather must have finally got to it. Had it 7 years, 6 years here.

Have you had a look at the JBhifi new home appliances.

Use lots of chillies hon as it will preserve the food for a couple of days at least until the new fridge freezer arrives.

Guest The Pom Queen
Use lots of chillies hon as it will preserve the food for a couple of days at least until the new fridge freezer arrives.

Really? I didn't know that.

Really? I didn't know that.

That's why Indian food is spicy. The spices and chilli preserve the food, garlic and ginger act as a kind of natural disinfectant keeping nasties at bay so bacteria can't breed. I would say that for chicken and fish, 2 days max in this heat, but other meat would be okay for 4-5 days. If you need to keep it longer, you can use a kind of pickling method for it. Not like pickled onions etc., lol but using different masala spices, similar to aachari spices and it would be good for a week or more.

Guest The Pom Queen
That's why Indian food is spicy. The spices and chilli preserve the food, garlic and ginger act as a kind of natural disinfectant keeping nasties at bay so bacteria can't breed. I would say that for chicken and fish, 2 days max in this heat, but other meat would be okay for 4-5 days. If you need to keep it longer, you can use a kind of pickling method for it. Not like pickled onions etc., lol but using different masala spices, similar to aachari spices and it would be good for a week or more.

So,is that without a fridge?

So,is that without a fridge?

Yes, without a fridge. Back in my dad's younger days, they didn't have the kinds of fridges we have now, especially in Africa as Kenya was still being developed and it was more like the really old fashioned cooler boxes with an ice block at the bottom that was replaced each day. Milk was delivered in urns every day and made in to yogurt for the next day and butter as well being used to drink as milk. So in my family, as I'm sure in many South Asian families, we know how to preserve food, though I think that is dying out now due to fridges and freezers sadly. Also, drying food like South Africans do was very popular as a way of preserving. In the UK, in the late Middle Ages, meat was packed in salt to preserve it, then rinsed off before cooking, but of course the heat wasn't such a factor in the UK.

Any good? Looks like my fridge freezer has died. RIP

I used them twice and was really, really impressed. Having checked all the prices, they were the cheapest and free delivery on top was a bonus. However that's not the main reason I'd use them again.

The main reason is the delivery. You can nominate a delivery "window" (instead of having to wait in all day), and then they actually stick to it! The driver phones when he is about 10 minutes away, to check you're home and confirm directions.

One of my deliveries was to a flat three flights up with no lift. The guys walked into the flat with a smile on their face and no complaints, then proceeded to hang the tumble drier on the wall for me (which they didn't have to do), and then carried the old tumble drier all the way back down again.

I do know that if you have several products to buy, you can do a good deal at the Good Guys - but for single items, even if I bargained, I wasn't able to better Appliances Online's price.