Cane Toad in the garden

Dawn2002

Hello

We recently started a veggie patch using some old car tyres as pots. When checking today it appears a cane toad has decided to make one it's new home. It's pretty big and description fits.

Now I'm not scared of them, but I'm aware that they are poisionus and they are classed as a feral species. Also I have two young kids and my neighbours have dogs so I want to remove it.

I've checked out a few websites, there doesn't seem to be much govt (qld) advice on how to deal with it. Others just suggest various ways to humanely kill it, and I don't think I could do that.

Any advice ?

Lol, yes I've heard about that. I don't want it in the garden, then again I'm not sure I fancy it being in the fridge/freezer for a few days, which is the only humane method I can find. But Personally I think taking it down the local park wouldn't be right. Especially as we are in what I would describe as a semi rural area.

I guess I've answered my own question !

Dawn stick it in a plastic back and stick it in the freezer over night and then put it in the bit. These cane toads can make dogs very sick if they lick or bite them, same with the kids if they touch them and put there hands in there mouth they can feel very unwell. These cane toads cause many native animals and birds to die, one of the worse environmental pest. Consentrate on saving the life of native wild life not on killing a cane toad.

I know you're right Tina, I'm just squeamish about doing it, I did just give the council a call, they won't help, but did suggest putting salt on it !! Now I reckon that it's not very humane at all.

Sorry Tina, do they jump about a lot when theyre in the freezer before they go to sleep ?

I know you're right Tina, I'm just squeamish about doing it, I did just give the council a call, they won't help, but did suggest putting salt on it !! Now I reckon that it's not very humane at all.

Sorry Tina, do they jump about a lot when theyre in the freezer before they go to sleep ?

Not if you hit them with a golf club first LOL. Just put it in a strong plastic and ties it up tight. Put it in the freezer shut the door and go have a cupper and forget about it. Salt would be worse as it would dry them out so really freezing is kinder

Ok so it lived to fight another day as it was gone by the time hubby came home. We did have what looked like a young one in the garden over the weekend, but he escaped under the fence, we've not been in this place long so maybe there's a lot in the area or it's just the time of year.

If I get another one that's suspect I'll catch it and post a better photo. I think I'll be going for the freezer method though !

Id feel awful killing anything, even if it is a 'pest' It is still a living being. And for every one that you see...there will be 10 more. Eliminating one isn't going to do anything in regards to easing the pest problem. Id try move it way. Down the bottom of the garden or over the fence.

Id feel awful killing anything, even if it is a 'pest' It is still a living being. And for every one that you see...there will be 10 more. Eliminating one isn't going to do anything in regards to easing the pest problem. Id try move it way. Down the bottom of the garden or over the fence.

Every female that lives can have hundreds of babies who all have hundreds of babies. I would not kill an animal if i had a choice I always go round lizards and the like on the roads, but sorry Cane Toads are different. An introduce pest that can kills and keeps killing even when it is dead. A bird pecks at it, bird dies, then something eats the bird and it also dies.

Unfortunately it might be a case of getting used to them.

They have just started reappearing back our way and in the summer we have dozens of them around.

Or find a way to dispose of them and keep the population down very slightly :smile:

Qld is running with the rotten things, they were introduced in North Qld to kill the cane beetle. If you see one dont think twice catch it and freeze it (though I rather like the dettol idea) The cane toad can squirt posion, and can make dogs and cats sick.

I think its around this time they start coming out to play.. We havent seen any for months but im sure they will pop up soon as i recall seeing quite a few in the garden over the last few summers.

If they are in where my dogs go, we get rid, normally using the dettol in a spray bottle method, yes it feels cruel when doing it even after a few years of practice but i just try to think, if i was in the UK and it was rat ,it would be going,lol.. They are classed as vermin here so it is just the same.

You can normally tell its a toad by its rough, 'warty' covered brown skin. The brown garden frogs have a very smooth looking skin.

I also believe licking the toxins off one 'apparently' gives the same affect as taking LSD,,lol, however i am not game to test this in any way, shape or form,lol

Cal x

Dawn stick it in a plastic back and stick it in the freezer over night and then put it in the bit. These cane toads can make dogs very sick if they lick or bite them, same with the kids if they touch them and put there hands in there mouth they can feel very unwell. These cane toads cause many native animals and birds to die, one of the worse environmental pest. Consentrate on saving the life of native wild life not on killing a cane toad.

My friend's dog died after a meeting with a cane toad. It was very upsetting and the poor dog was in tremendous pain. They are lethal and under no circumstance should they be let loose to further breed.

Seems the general concencus is kill it. My hubby said I should have caught it, and kept it for him to check, he really does not like them either. I was going to get it and put it in the freezer, but I wasn't entirely sure it was a cane toad, as it was partially buried and didn't like to think I may kill some native toad.

I agree a flyer in effect areas would help.

I think my garden may be quite attractive for a toad at the moment as there's a lot of watering going on as we've just put grass seed down too. We also had a fair bit of rain yesterday.

I have a feeling we may see another then hopefully someone can confirm for me for sure.