Best way to clean oven

blossom

Hello all.

I'm heavily pregnant and have a house inspection next week (my first in a year). Our oven was brand new when we moved in and I'd like to try to get it looking that way again. What is the best thing to use with the least amount of effort (mobility isn't so good just now)?

Thanks very much for any tips. :-)

@blossom79, firstly, fill an oven proof dish with water and lemon juice or similar mixed in. Put it in the oven at full blast as this will eliminate nasty whiffs such as any baked on grease. Once you've had that simmering away in a hot oven for about 20 mins, then you open the door and check how whiffy it is. If it's not whiffy, then you can remove the dish if you wish, or keep topping up the water, it's up to you.

Most modern ovens are now self cleaning, especially if they are electric. All you need to do is leave the oven on at full blast and it basically burns the cr@p off. Then you turn it off, open the door and when it's warm, with a damp cloth, you wipe over the inside as anything that might be stuck to it will be soft enough just to wipe off.

Or you can do as Snifter suggests and just use an oven cleaner but you shouldn't need too unless it's really really grotty because you're cooking roasts etc., every day.

ETA You need to leave it on for at least 2 hours at full blast, so it's not a cheap option but certainly low hassle!

Edited by MovingtoTasmania

I use Baking soda and vinegar.

You can use baking soda in a spray bottle. Couple of spoon fulls and fill with water and then spray the oven.

For the floor I sprinkle baking soda and then add a bit of vinegar to make it froth up.

you do need to use a bit of elbow grease and repeat doing it but it does work.

I would go the lemon and water at 180 degrees for an hour then 2 hours at full tilt as MTT has suggested.

Then maybe the pressure washer for the stubborn stains???

It may flood the kitchen though.......

Edited by dmjg

We call in an oven cleaning company (do they have them in Oz?) about twice a year. Costs around £40 and in an hour we have what looks like a brand new oven. Used to spend half a day cleaning and scrubbing the trays and oven and it still looked dirty. It is the one house cleaning job we pay for and worth every penny IMO.

I use Baking soda and vinegar.

You can use baking soda in a spray bottle. Couple of spoon fulls and fill with water and then spray the oven.

For the floor I sprinkle baking soda and then add a bit of vinegar to make it froth up.

you do need to use a bit of elbow grease and repeat doing it but it does work.

I'm with you, vinegar and baking soda are great for cleaning a multitude of things, including the toilet.

Very cheap, works well and environmentally friendly.

We call in an oven cleaning company (do they have them in Oz?) about twice a year. Costs around £40 and in an hour we have what looks like a brand new oven. Used to spend half a day cleaning and scrubbing the trays and oven and it still looked dirty. It is the one house cleaning job we pay for and worth every penny IMO.

They advertise around here (Perth), costs around $70.00 to clean an oven.

Guest The Pom Queen

Best way to clean an oven - Give husband a scrubbing brush, show him the oven, or he may need a map to her there, then sit on the sofa with a stubby and watch football :tongue:

I used a portable steamer to clean to clean our oven prior to our rental exit. Did use mr muscle as well but stuff just fell away. Needed lots of newspaper on the floor! But took away the need to scrub like mad. Used the steamer to do shower trays as well. Does so much of the heavy work for you and gets a great result. Mind you I'd rather pay someone else to do it cos it's do boring.

I forgot about cleaning the oven until this morning (inspection being at lunch time) so I randomly mixed a load of bicarb and vinegar and bunged it on. I didn't leave it that long (maybe half an hour) and it cleaned up a treat pretty easily. Yay.

I've been converted to bicarb and vinegar. :-)

Best way to clean an oven - Give husband a scrubbing brush, show him the oven, or he may need a map to her there, then sit on the sofa with a stubby and watch football :tongue:

My method is similar, I start cleaning the oven deliberately not doing it well, then OH walks past and says "You're not doing that very well" so I say "Show me how I should be doing it then" and once he's started, I slowly drift away and hide somewhere with a good book till he's finished the job!

Works on all sorts of things - I've never cleaned a bathroom in my life!

That's my exact plan with nappy changing! I've never changed a nappy. My other half has a 14 year old daughter. I've told him I have no idea how to do it and it'll probably take quite a few goes of watching to work it out. :-D

Bless him, he keeps telling me I'm a smart girl and will manage it fine. Yes, smart, that's why I'm pushing it onto him lol.