Before coming to Oz I wish I had....

Austrial

Often, small but important things can be missed during the move from UK to Oz, despite all the info out there.

I wish I had brought with me a 3G or 4G wifi unlocked modem.

If you do this it will make life much easier in the first few months when you are settling down and do not want / cannot get a fixed line broadband connection. With the wifi modem, all you need is to buy data sim cards from providers like Optus, Telstra (make sure your modem is compatible withbtheir SIM), dodo or other provider.

Also bring at least three UK to Oz plug adaptors, they are fairly expensive here.

There, these are my two penny / cents worth of tips, what are yours, for future Ozventurers?

Guest Guest26110
Often, small but important things can be missed during the move from UK to Oz, despite all the info out there.

I wish I had brought with me a 3G or 4G wifi unlocked modem.

If you do this it will make life much easier in the first few months when you are settling down and do not want / cannot get a fixed line broadband connection. With the wifi modem, all you need is to buy data sim cards from providers like Optus, Telstra (make sure your modem is compatible withbtheir SIM), dodo or other provider.

Also bring at least three UK to Oz plug adaptors, they are fairly expensive here.

There, these are my two penny / cents worth of tips, what are yours, for future Ozventurers?

I agree with buying the uk to oz plug adaptors, ebay are cheap for these, $10 for ten.

Not sure with the internet thing as a bit thick when it comes to technology. We have access to broadband for first 4 weeks and have 2x iPads with cellular access (both purchased from Apple so unlocked and used abroad previously inc Australia on Vodafone). Given this I assume we could live without the modem?

S

Not sure with the internet thing as a bit thick when it comes to technology. We have access to broadband for first 4 weeks and have 2x iPads with cellular access (both purchased from Apple so unlocked and used abroad previously inc Australia on Vodafone). Given this I assume we could live without the modem?

S

Get a cheap android phone, a payg sim with data, and use the android hotspot for all your wifi-enabled devices.

Got my drivers license (Aus path to getting licensed is painful)

Known how hideous the public transport system can be

Researched University life more and been more aware of my options and opportunities relating to what I want to do with my life rather than what people thought/think I should do with my life.

Known how terrible 3G/4G speeds are :jimlad:

Oh well no time for dwelling on the past those are all minor things so I don't really care I wasn't expecting aus life to be like the UK anyway so I guess I just went in with no expectations and I haven't ever been disappointed - I wouldn't go back so yeah.

Hi,

We haven't moved over yet (Nov), but I have a kind of "bucket list" of things to do, prior to leaving. They're mostly people I want to visit and say goodbye to, just in case they don't get the chance to come over to visit.. I can't see me returning to the UK in the next few years at least, as I hate flying, and want to take the time during holidays etc to explore my new adoptive country and establish myself there.. So there's a few people that, if I didn't make the effort to see, I am sure I would regret it further down the line.. :)

srg73, yes that should be fine. Lee and Lee thanks for the tip, that price is much better than UK prices. Chortlepuss - 2.8 would have been great to get! I will be lucky to get 1.8 now! Happy Heart - so true - I will try to see as much of NT / Australia in case I ping pong back...so that I will not appear on another thread...I wish I had....before leaving Oz:)

• 3 weeks later...
Before coming to Oz I wish I didn't, it's not all it's cracked up to be , beaches ohhh yeah , oh and beaches , BBQ mmmm more BBQ and oh yeah more bbq's on the beach , did I mention the sausages ...... Best Not

oh well , wasted my time with you , get back to your cold wet place and report from there on your best beaches (that will take a good while ) then send us some pics of your bbq nights with your neighbours in the background ............:SLEEP:

Tbh though Melza, even if your parents did ask....??

if you had said no....we're they then meant to have given up on any future plans.

you were nine!! Hardly a great age for make life decisions.

personslly I would thank your parents for giving you dual nationality

Sometimes,kids know more than we do!Surely as a family,its important everyone is happy?Emigrating is'nt just moving down the road is it?Apart from the obvious,whats the differnence between us deciding a kids future,or a kid deciding our future?Has'nt it got to do with mutual respect that both are happy?

• 2 weeks later...
Sometimes,kids know more than we do!Surely as a family,its important everyone is happy?Emigrating is'nt just moving down the road is it?Apart from the obvious,whats the differnence between us deciding a kids future,or a kid deciding our future?Has'nt it got to do with mutual respect that both are happy?

I appreciate your respect for your children but if there's one thing I have learned to my detriment is that you should never treat your own children as your equal. We asked the kids what they thought of emigrating ten years ago and they hated the idea of going all that way. Our oldest is now an officer in the british army and has been in afghan, faulklands, canada, cyprus, latvia, next month and who knows where after that. our youngest leaves for cambodia 3 weeks after we migrate only for a 3month stint but its voluntry work that he loves so he will prolly go somewhere else afterwards. Point is we are now doing our dream 10 years later than planned :0(

to see more punk bands , my intention before we came here was to hire a Labour Club Hall and have a dedicated punk night for friends and people in my era ...would have been held in the very late 90`s or early noughties ......i had such big ideas about this punk night ...a big regret .....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...