Buying A BBQ

stoobydale

Help required for kitchen shy pom. Looking to buy a BBQ in the next couple of weeks, all I know is that I want a 4 or 5 burner, trolley type, made of stainless Steel. Any suggestions recommendations greatly received. Cheap but not too cheap to be cheap and nasty, happy for it to be an investment.

Guest Guest66881

Depends if you want a full range typed job, or one of the small weber typed styles, both do a job.

How much time you going to cooking with it, we use ours probably four times a week, budget will be your biggest factor, lots of places doing holiday deals at the minute BBQ/G running one at the minute.

Guest Ptp113
Help required for kitchen shy pom. Looking to buy a BBQ in the next couple of weeks, all I know is that I want a 4 or 5 burner, trolley type, made of stainless Steel. Any suggestions recommendations greatly received. Cheap but not too cheap to be cheap and nasty, happy for it to be an investment.

Go to Costco

The best BBQ I ever had was a cheap 2 burner with a solid steel plate and just one hole in the middle to drain the fat. It was impossible to burn anything and easy to clean. When it got old I bought a big fancy expensive thing. The cooking surfaces were all cast iron - it was useless to cook on and a bastard to clean. I don't know what it is but solid steel plate is so much better than cast iron. It just seems to hold the heat better and makes it easier to set the temperature and keep it cooking slowly and evenly.

Thanks for all the reply's, didn't realise that choosing a BBQ was going to be such a big decision. lol. It will mainly be used just for the 3 of us but I would like it to be big enough for say, 7 or 8 should we have some company. I had seen some nice shiny stainless steel ones in Masters and Bunnings, but don't want to waste $350 if they are useless. Seen some good reviews on the Zeigler and the Webber Q, but work out very expensive with extra plates and a stand. Think I will go to BBQ galore tomorrow and have a browse.

If you want the best you have to pay for it.......if you buy cheap made in China crap......don't complain after 12 months.

Yeh, I know what you mean, and that's the attitude I have when buying tools and things. Just have to give it a bigger coat of looking at. See if threre are any deals on tomorrow.

I'd go weber. I really wanted a stainless steel one but for anything even half decent they were really pricey. We have the q305 at around $750 -$800 with stand and it cooks everything very we'll coping with dinner for just the two of us and parties with 10+ people

We got a Matador from Bunnings - absolutely fantastic! The best thing about it is that it has the rotisserie burner at the back (like a kebab shop) which makes doing the roasts a breeze. We haven't roasted meat in the oven for 5 years now, just chuck it on the spinner. It cost about $750, has 8 burners including the back burner and the wok thing at the side, and I haven't seen the same features on any other brand for less than $2k.

You can pick cheap ones up at Bunnings for about $200 which do the job. If you get one with a hood and two side plates they are great for outdoor cooking of roast lamb. You light one side and put the meat on the other, close the good and go back indoors. Them enjoy the results when it's ready.

I'd get a Weber as well. We have the medium Q210, it can cook for 8 and very fast with the lid down. Also you can roast joints or chickens in it, add a bit of smoke.

I don't bother with the special trays, only the weber brush for cleaning. Just get a kevlar sheet for about $10 for things like fish, or you can do a full breakfast on one of those including fried eggs, mushroom and tomato.

Just been camping and there were loads of Q100 and 200's on the campsite, so consider if you want portability as well ? The Q300 series is family sized with a double burner, but pretty hefty.

Thanks for all the reply's guys, very informative. Went to BBQ galore and spoke to a very helpful woman there. looked at the Ziggy and to be honest, it's just not what I want a BBQ to look like, don't like the plastic shelves and stand. Almost pulled the trigger on a Turbo Elite 2 burner with side burner, Quartz thing. Now back to square 1 as I just can't see how I can justify $1900. Went to Masters the next day and spoke to a very helpful chap there who I think has talked me into a "Char Broil" 4 burner with sided burner. $448. But I still have to old saying, "Buy Cheap, Buy Twice" ringing in my ears. Aghrrrrrrr..... Can anyone help me with a Jet Ski purchase? lol

Well don't say you haven't been told.....it's a Weber or a Weber........I guess as they say "you can lead a horse to water............"

I know..I know.. I don't like to ask for advice and then not take it, but I can't shake off the tight wad in me. :ssign3:

We ve had an Everdure 4 burner for ages.Got it new for $500 Reliable with 2 grills and hot plate, built in temp gauge and separate burner for fring pan/wok. We do our roast beef in there too... looks like its got another 20 year left ... just dont buy cheap or you will keep replacing. And you dont get that old mate type bonding with the mans outdoor buddy...

CharBroil is considered the poor mans Weber here in the states. Somewhat lesser quality in terms of materials and build, but really not a bad bbq, from a very old American company that specializes in leisure products. Because of this, and certainly the cheaper cost per unit, CharBroil sells more gas grills than anybody else, worldwide. . Parts are readily available, and the entire range is priced fairly in Australia, where the cost of any Weber (charcoal, Genesis or Summit gas) borders on the absurd.....no not borders, IS absurd!!.....I think you will be happy with it, and you will have saved a lot of money! That being said, I stlll bleed Weber ;-D

Edited by Seppo