Hanging pictures/ art in rental properties

Guest guest48800

Guest guest48800

Hi,

just wondering if anyone has tried the Command- damage free picture hanging strips? Also, as a general rule (appreciate different landlords will have differing rules), are these acceptable for use in rental properties, as they (allegedly) don't damage/mark walls.

They work fine just remember when you are removing them to pull the tab straight down and not out towards you or you might rip the wall. Actually you don't have to pay the cheaper ones work just as well as the command ones

He's run in from outside with mucky paws and a half dead lizard, and managed to get muck on the wall while tussling with said lizard more than once! Jet black mark was from a black plug when I pulled a plug board up from behind a cupboard, lazy me, looked awful but it all came out :o)

If you are allowed 3 cats am sure your Landlord wouldn't make a fuss if you hung up a few pictures

That

I tend to take a slightly flexible view when it comes to hanging stuff. If I were in a property with untouched, pristine walls, I wouldn't do anything without permission. None of the rentals I've lived in have been like that, though. I leave them all in better nick than when I started

Yer, my actual landlord is very good. It is the rental agents who are a pain. Actually, this company isn't too bad, but the first one was shocking.

The house is a very old, looks old house. He understands that, but the agents are always going on about getting him to modernise it. I told them I would rather not as my rent would have to go up to cover the costs.

When I got the first kitten I went straight to the landlord rather than the agent lol.

Used command strips in all our rentals. Never had a problem with them, so long as you follow the instructions they come off clean. Also very handy in earthquake zones to keep things in place! I think having your own pictures helps a place feel more like a home. Never had any issues with landlords or agents but then I choose my agents very very carefully!

They don't stick too well to laminate; I used them to hang some dishcloth holders in the kitchen and they all fell off after about a week. Probably won't be an issue unless you have a 70's house with laminate walls like my parents'.

Don't do what we did. We had a rental in a new area with no tree cover. The blazxing sun came into our boys bedrooms and woke them up everymorning. So I put aluminium foil on the windows to block out the sun. Worked a treat. When winter came, I took the foil down, and it had leached into the glass. Couldn't get it off, it looked like an etching. Luckily the landlord didn't spot it when we left.

Don't do what we did. We had a rental in a new area with no tree cover. The blazxing sun came into our boys bedrooms and woke them up everymorning. So I put aluminium foil on the windows to block out the sun. Worked a treat. When winter came, I took the foil down, and it had leached into the glass. Couldn't get it off, it looked like an etching. Luckily the landlord didn't spot it when we left.

Wow, that would never even occur to me. (To put it up or that it would mark the glass).

From experience, it depends on the state of the plaster. I have used them in a few places without a problem, but in one it took chunks off the wall.:( landlord wasn't impressed!!

Yes, I lived in a house in the uk where the plaster would come off when you stuck things on it. Luckily not rented.

I only rented once our current posh flat in a new build in Birmingham city centre. agent says we could do what we like as long as we filled the wholes after. they seem very reasonable saying something like its your home u need to have it how your comfortable. we been there for nearly three yeara now. think we wouldn't have stayed that long if they had been anal about thngs like that. they should at least provide a few nails per room if they dont want u putting your own stuff in.

my parents use these magic hook things they had no problem and move stuff around from time to time.

Guest guest48800

Thank you all for your replies, couldn't bear linving in a blank box, so good news! would obviously check with landlord first mind you, not worth the aggro.

Will keep a look out for the cheaper versions :biggrin: