Mobile Phone Provider?

homer911

Personally, I don't have any problems with Vodafone, being on a $45 per month 'Infinity Plan' (I think it's called), two-year contract, with a Samsung Galaxy III. Most months my bill is no more than a couple of dollars over the $45. I've been with Vodafone forever, but then I've banked with ANZ for an eternity too.

Vodafone don't have the best of reputations and the barge pole isn't long enough for me. Coverage is going to be the mot important thing so check out where you live and what coverage you get - it can vary hugely and might restrict you to one or two telcos. Telstra and Optus are the two biggies and the other telcos tend to use their towers. I fell out with Optus after many years because I couldn't make head or tail of their bills (need a degree in billology!) ended up with Virgin who use the Optus towers and who, at the time, were the only ones to include international calls in their cap (but that was a while ago so things may have changed). 3 sounds good but is essentially metro and you get lots of little add Ons when you least expect it. When you are new you can shop around with payg and see which works best for you before you launch into contracts

When I first joined Vodafone, I spent a fortune on inappropriate plans, but as soon as I contacted them to see if I could go on a cheaper plan to fit my circumstances, they put me on their $45 a month 'Infinity' contract and I've been on that ever since, must be over two years now. When I upgraded to a 'Smartphone', everything stayed the same and my monthly spend has never been more than a couple of dollars over the basic $45 - Voicemail I think.

Telstra has the best coverage everywhere. I'm on the payg cap+ plan and decide every month how much I want to put on the card. For $30 you get 400mb of data and $300 of calls, which can be international as well. It suits my needs. If I need more I can top up or go for a higher cap. Example: the $60 payg top up gives you 3gb of data and over$900 to spend on calls. In think that's an extremely good deal. Downside ( for some) is that you have to have your own phone ( it's an upside for me) which could mean you have to pay a couple of hundred up front to buy a handset.

We ended up buying a virgin sim and going with a prepay simplicity plan as its only 15c to call and text anywhere in Oz and to the UK with no connection charges and free voicemail. We found no contracts that could beat that.

That's what my DH got for his 6 week stay - he thought it was pretty good too!