• Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Gecko Repellent?

Title
      Liked
      105 times
      Rep

Gecko Repellent?

I have a totally irrational fear of geckos - I know they get rid of the bugs etc and the majority of people I know think that they are cute but they terrify me and I need to know the best way of keeping them out. We live in a modern apartment which has a glass front door and and a gap of an inch or so at top and bottom, I place a rolled up blanket at floor level to stop insects from just walking in but the geckos must be coming in at the top - swear I'll give myself a heart attack shortly if I don't find a solution!

I have sprayed surface spray around but doesn't work, have googled and seen suggestion for diluted dettol which I hate the smell of but will try, just wondered if anyone had any other ideas.

The only thing which does help slightly is wine - for me! After chasing said gecko out the door, a glass of wine helps me stop shaking like a leaf and if I've already had a glass I feel a bit more brave!

Title
      From Bury,Manchester To Jimboomba, Brisbane
      Liked
      9952 times
      Rep
      I have never heard of a gecko repellant so ive no idea what you could do, i havent been in a house here and not seen one either inside or on the outside of the window. I'd suggest going buying a big casket of wine,lol...

Hopefully someone may have an idea thast may help you.

Cal x
      sioban likes this.
      If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...
      If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Title
      BOB=Beaut Old Bloke
      Liked
      11536 times
      Rep
      G'day mate, have a squiz at this:

http://gomestic.com/home/five-reason...in-your-house/

Cheers, Bobj.
      Guest16631 and pablo like this.

Title
      Liked
      105 times
      Rep
      We had a similar problem in Malaysia on holiday once,
      Bought a laser pointer from the local market and had hours of fun watching them running around the walls after the dot, "it really works" you could do this and make them run outside after the dot..
      sioban likes this.

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      1058 times
      Rep
      Aww, I like the wee fellas! We had a few inside the house last summer but now we have the kitty, who chases anything that moves, they stay out! That's the closest thing I've seen to 'gecko repellent' but not practical for everyone ;o)
      Guest16631 and sioban like this.
      She'll be right!

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      703 times
      Rep
      Dont ever try to get rid of them as they do eat mozzies and other bugs. They are perfectly harmless. Just be thankful for that
      Guest16631, Bobj and sioban like this.

Title
      Liked
      105 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Bobj View Post
      G'day mate, have a squiz at this:

http://gomestic.com/home/five-reason...in-your-house/

Cheers, Bobj.
      Had a look at this - thank goodness the geckos I'm getting in here aren't as big as the ones in the pictures! I know that they kill all the bugs and that it's mad to be scared but I am and my nerves are shattered, eyes on stalks looking for them at night so need to find a solution.
      Bobj likes this.

Title
      Liked
      105 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by pegibson View Post
      We had a similar problem in Malaysia on holiday once,
      Bought a laser pointer from the local market and had hours of fun watching them running around the walls after the dot, "it really works" you could do this and make them run outside after the dot..
      This sounds like a plan, I had thought about leaving a light on outside but didn't want to attract more - am off in search of a laser pointer this morning.

Title
      Blah.....
      Liked
      1783 times
      Rep
      I wish you could send your geckos here--we love watching them and never get enough!

I've never heard of it being tried on lizards but many animals won't cross a line of salt so that might be worth a try. Failing that, there are other animals repelled by a trail of ground pepper--if either of those work, I'd hope it would just keep them out without hurting the geckos (maybe somebody knows for sure?).

Or maybe just post lots of pictures of Michael Douglas in his Wall Street role saying "Greed is good". That might send them off to invest on the stock market!
      The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.

-Dorothy Parker

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      16015 times
      Rep
      ............shame you don't like them as they do eat lots of bugs..................but they don't like eucalyptus..............you can get a spray from your local supermarket........Euco clean..........it keeps most bugs at bay in the house..............good luck....tink x
      TeeTMI likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast