suitcases

Guest Pixie10

Guest Pixie10

Starting to feel all vey real now and starting to think about the practicalities. We need to buy suitcases for the journey and obviously want the lightest possible! Any ideas? Does 40kg roughly translate to 2 large suitcases each?

thanks

Guest bakercrew

I have brought 2 new suitcase which are 110litre in size and also buying those special vacumn bags to suck up space on clothes etc. I have 2 young children so will be taking med size suitcases for them. Luckily with cabin luggage you can take 1 backpack plus 1 handbag or laptop per person. So each child will have rucksuck plus another handbag for books, odd toys etc. Bless them they will be weighed down. I also got to take a buggy to carry everything which is also and added item. I will be booking with singapore airlines as they seem to offer you the most so far. I am going to do a test to see what I can get in each case and then weigh them. That is the best option. I know that you can have either one very large case weighing 40kg or 2 cases weighing combination of 40kgs. the first option is better as you got to think about what you will be pulling along. Just another added stress. lol

I have brought 2 new suitcase which are 110litre in size and also buying those special vacumn bags to suck up space on clothes etc. I have 2 young children so will be taking med size suitcases for them. Luckily with cabin luggage you can take 1 backpack plus 1 handbag or laptop per person. So each child will have rucksuck plus another handbag for books, odd toys etc. Bless them they will be weighed down. I also got to take a buggy to carry everything which is also and added item. I will be booking with singapore airlines as they seem to offer you the most so far. I am going to do a test to see what I can get in each case and then weigh them. That is the best option. I know that you can have either one very large case weighing 40kg or 2 cases weighing combination of 40kgs. the first option is better as you got to think about what you will be pulling along. Just another added stress. lol

Most sirlines, Singapore included, will not allow a bag to exceed 32kgs, They can make you re-pack any bag that exceeds that weight.

Guest destinationoz

Just a word of warning - Singapore Airlines recently told me no suitcase should go over 32kg even if you have more allowance than that you should split it in 2 bags .... 32kg is the maximum the staff are allowed to lift ...

Hi, we ended up bringing 6 suitcases (between 4 of us) when we moved as due to health and safety the suitcases shouldn't weight more than 32kg when packed. This was with Singapore, but I'm guessing it may be the same for other airlines and I have ben at the airport and seen people having to re-pack or send stuff back with family as their cases are too heavy.

If like us your flying Singapore airlines for the extra baggage allowance then most likely you will never need as much luggage again, we picked up a few extra cases from charity shops for a couple of quid each & now use them for storage in the garage.

I thought that in economy the individual bag limit was 20kg?

If like us your flying Singapore airlines for the extra baggage allowance then most likely you will never need as much luggage again, we picked up a few extra cases from charity shops for a couple of quid each & now use them for storage in the garage.

I thought that in economy the individual bag limit was 20kg?

Economy weight limit is 20kg, but if there are 2 of you travelling then between you both you are allowed 40kg, this has to be devided between 2 bags as 1 bag isn't alllowed to be over 32kgs, eg 1bag 30kgs and the other 10kgs.

Yep - was mixing up with policy for the US, got into an argument with the check in clerk in LAX a few years back, even though we were well under our all up weight allowance they wanted to charge for excess in the individual bags - when I refused they offered to sell me a bag for $60

I still refused & said I was off to buy a bag somewhere else!

Singapore Airlines were excellent with us on our way here, 10 cases which came to just short of 225kg so 25kg over the double allowance, the clerk just smiled & said "thats ok" - I'd built myself up into a bit of a state with the packing, travelling & checking in dramas so felt the relief almost literally wash over me.

Guest liltman

Hi Guys..... Travelling to Brisbane on my own hopefully end of August, flying Singapore Airline and was wondering what the luggage weight is...... 32kg or 40kg. Wife will be out later in year so just me, clothes and of course me GOLF clubs....... any info would be great........ :hug: :confused:

Hi Guys..... Travelling to Brisbane on my own hopefully end of August, flying Singapore Airline and was wondering what the luggage weight is...... 32kg or 40kg. Wife will be out later in year so just me, clothes and of course me GOLF clubs....... any info would be great........ :hug: :confused:

If your flying economy your only allowed 20kg checked in baggage and 7kg hand baggage, your golf bag is classed as special baggage and may cost you as much as USD$88, have a look on the airline website.

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/travel-information/baggage-outsize/

Guest gemfromoz

If you are eligible/able to get to a Makro/Costco then this can also work out cheap for you.

I just purchased this bag:

http://www.antler.co.uk/

For half price at Makro, including VAT. Pretty sure it was about £35 inc.

very good brand, very light at 3.1Kilo and will last. Not sure if the sale is still on but would be worth a look if you can.

Depends on your budget/future uses. I wanted something that would last and as cheap as possible, but if you just want something for the one trip I'd charity shop it :)

Guest liltman

Thanks guy's.... I have suitcases by the plenty, I was just wondering what the allowance was + was there a number to the amount of cases you can take and what allowance on my golf clubs....... BTW i am travelling on a 457 visa if that makes a difference....