Children's dental/orthodontic treatment

KWordySunSeeker

My son is due to have a brace fitted on the NHS next month but I am not sure what to do. If he was to have it fitted would he be able to carry on treatment for this in Australia?

Are children entitled to dental/orthodontic treatment in Australia free of charge or is it all private?

Any information received would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

You will most likely find that the orthodontist will actually remove existing braces and do their own work. They don't like to inherit someone else 's work because they don't want to be responsible for the outcome so I wouldn't bother getting braces on if you are moving before the end of treatment. These days you won't get much change from $6-8k and you're not likely to get much, if anything back from private health insurance as there is usually a qualifying period. Unless a child has a craniofacial condition it's a private cost.

Edited by Quoll

Really depends how long the you would be delaying it by. If you have another 6 months plus wait for possible grant half the average treatment time could be completed. This is versus the age of the child. Speed of treatment can vary between a 12 year old and a 14 year old. Typically the younger age groups take around 3-6 months less overall. Average treatment overall for a straight forward closing of spaces (usually after extractions of generally 4 or 5's - teeth code there, or sometimes 6's if there is already decay/fillings present when he two teeth further forword are in a better state, to make space) and to pull back/correct over biting anterior teeth is around 18 months, with some of that being a retainer rather than fixed appliance. Most ortho work is pretty standard and boring... had to do a rotation as part of my training maxillofacial training. Hated it! :D

Whether braces already in place get taken off or not will largely depend on the individual dentist. If treatment is coming to a close they are more likely to leave it. Taking brackets on and off (which adhere to the teeth using a semi permanent adhesive) are often better off left if position is already optimal. Although they often do come off when the little darlings eat things they shouldn't... like toffee! Certainly expect the retaining wires to be changed, and the retention bands. This is standard as different tensions/lengths are required as treatment progresses and teeth move.

Edited by Tickled Pink

My sons just had his fitted and it cost $6,500. Our private health insurance paid for just under $2000 and the ortho requests a prepayment of $2000 up front then $200 a month until end of treatment . Costs are going to depend on bits needing replacing etc. His last tightening took just 5 minutes so presumably that visit wouldnt cost much but if bands need replacing I assume it'll be more. My guestamate would be $2000-$2500 for aftercare and like mine you'd probably be able to pay monthly. But you can really shop around here so do that I reckon.

Edited by Que Sera Sera

It's an absolute rip off! Sorry. We were quoted $8000 so we haven't bothered until we can afford it, what sort of system is that? They're children for lords sake!

Well it could be argued that it's not a medically nesessary procedure it's cosmetic one so it shouldn't be up to Medicare and the tax payer to cover it.

Well it could be argued that it's not a medically nesessary procedure it's cosmetic one so it shouldn't be up to Medicare and the tax payer to cover it.

Tbf, if he's covered on the NHS his problem is likely to be pretty bad. There are quite strict criteria they have to adhere to to allow free treatment now (or at least they're meant to, but some do 'bend' the rules at times..).

OP, we started our daughter's treatment in the UK (she had to have surgery, then 'blocks' to bring her lower jaw forward before they would put her fixed appliance on). When we got to Australia we were quoted $9k just for the fixed appliance and the retainers she'd need afterwards. We were told it would take about three years to sort her teeth out, so we bit the bullet and started to pay. A year later we returned to the Uk, went back to her old ortho, who luckily allowed her back on the NHS list. Three months later she said her braces could come off and her teeth have been perfectly straight ever since.

Visit a few orthos when you get there and get quotes from them. That might allow you to find someone you trust and who isn't trying to rip you off.

The NHS is going the same way ....they will continue to get stricter as to which cases can be treated on the NHS as funds are squeezed. Where do you want your taxes to go? Coronary care, cancer treatment, maternity units....or straight teeth?

What at a ridiculous question. Errr. Straight teeth! I didn't say they should charge at all but it's a rip off!!

Yes and no.....I get what your saying but crooked teeth can effect confidence and all sorts.

My little girl has and overbite that I think need correcting but it's still classed as cosmetic. Sorry it's a real sore point.

Having spent time working in the area I can definitely see the yes and no... I agree, an overbite can affect confidence, bullying etc and be detrimental to a child - and adult actually. The problem is I can also say it is cosmetic. When I have also treated children with severe cleft palate or other conditions where significant numbers of teeth have been malformed or absent, which stops them being able to actually eat a normal diet it puts another slant on it.

Its not an easy thing to live with when its 'cosmetically' affective, and its great the NHS recognises this to provide the necessary treatment for free. Trouble is Australia isn't the UK, and therefore different view points and rules I'm afraid.

Having spent time working in the area I can definitely see the yes and no... I agree, an overbite can affect confidence, bullying etc and be detrimental to a child - and adult actually. The problem is I can also say it is cosmetic. When I have also treated children with severe cleft palate or other conditions where significant numbers of teeth have been malformed or absent, which stops them being able to actually eat a normal diet it puts another slant on it.

Its not an easy thing to live with when its 'cosmetically' affective, and its great the NHS recognises this to provide the necessary treatment for free. Trouble is Australia isn't the UK, and therefore different view points and rules I'm afraid.

Well said. People need a little perspective...and also to remember that nobody forced them to move!

Tbf, if he's covered on the NHS his problem is likely to be pretty bad. There are quite strict criteria they have to adhere to to allow free treatment now (or at least they're meant to, but some do 'bend' the rules at times..).

OP, we started our daughter's treatment in the UK (she had to have surgery, then 'blocks' to bring her lower jaw forward before they would put her fixed appliance on). When we got to Australia we were quoted $9k just for the fixed appliance and the retainers she'd need afterwards. We were told it would take about three years to sort her teeth out, so we bit the bullet and started to pay. A year later we returned to the Uk, went back to her old ortho, who luckily allowed her back on the NHS list. Three months later she said her braces could come off and her teeth have been perfectly straight ever since.

Visit a few orthos when you get there and get quotes from them. That might allow you to find someone you trust and who isn't trying to rip you off.

Things must ihave changed then because both my girls had braces both with tiny overbites, all on the NHS. I myself had braces put on at age 26 for free as it was within a year after after the birth of my second child.

As our time to move edges closer, this has been something I've been thinking about quite a bit! Our eldest (now 14) was born with a cleft, has undergone a few surgeries including alveolar bone grafting, and in the last few months has started with brace work to straighten and make room for prosthetics! I've always assumed that Medicare would help cover, but you've got me thinking :eek:

As our time to move edges closer, this has been something I've been thinking about quite a bit! Our eldest (now 14) was born with a cleft, has undergone a few surgeries including alveolar bone grafting, and in the last few months has started with brace work to straighten and make room for prosthetics! I've always assumed that Medicare would help cover, but you've got me thinking :eek:

This is very different, and may not be considered cosmetic - therefore there can be help available. For example, look at this link (posted on the other page too).

http://www.rch.org.au/uploadedFiles/Main/Content/plastic/Cleft%20and%20teeth.pdf

hope they didnt take them off too early to save money or she could end up like me & have to have them again as an adult :( my teeth where fine for years but then started moving. ortho in oz thinks the original braces should have been on longer :(