Depression

Andy27w

Hi,

I want to apply for a visa with my family, there are no medical complications whatsoever with the family however, my wife had and an attempted suicide 13 years ago.

She has not been diagnosed with depression nor has she had treatment, my question is will this hinder a visa application?

I will be the main applicant applying for the VISA and she will be a dependant along with my children.

We have got her medical records however, nothing is stated about the incident which could prove problematic due to not having any evidence?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, if anybody has been in the same or like position or any information?

Thanks

Drew

I'm a little confused, your wife has never been prescribed medication for depression and the suicide attempt was not recorded ? What is there that you are concerned about exactly?

I'm concerned that the medical records held at the moment don't have her full medical history, I'm pretty sure that other medical records exist, due to moving around a few times in the last 10 years, sorry didn't explain fully.

I obviously want to preempt the medicals with evidence as I will have to declare it.

I just wanted to know if attempted suicide is a massive concern for an application if flagged up, even though she has had not episodes since?

Thanks in advance

We have been asked the following questions on the VISA:

Have you ever been admitted to hospital and/or received medical treatment for an extended period for any reason (including for a major operation or treatment of a psychiatric illness)?Have you ever been admitted to hospital and/or received medical treatment for an extended period for any reason (including for a major operation or treatment of a psychiatric illness)?requiredNot selectedYesNo

OnlineClient?wc_static=%2fau%2fgov%2fimmi%2femed%2fimages%2fwc%2fsmall%2fwc.ui.image.help.png&cacheKey=f5589405

Do you suffer, or have you ever suffered, from mental health problems?

She was admitted to hospital for the attempted suicide, I want to be honest and declare everything, she has had no issues since.

I don't want to be in a position where they check medical records and find the blip in her life.

I'm just after information if anybody who has been in the same circumstances or like for like and had their VISA granted.

Did you get your visa granted ok Mel?

Regards

Do you suffer, or have you ever suffered, from mental health problems?requiredNot selectedYesNo

OnlineClient?wc_static=%2fau%2fgov%2fimmi%2femed%2fimages%2fwc%2fsmall%2fwc.ui.image.help.png&cacheKey=f5589405

That's a difficult one. I think you may have to answer the question honestly when you complete the health declaration depending on the question wording, I cannot remember, but it shouldn't be anything you have to declare if she is well and has not been treated or diagnosed for any mental health disorder. From what I remember, you tick the boxes to say you are not on any regular meds/ had recent surgery/ long term health conditions etc and then the physical exam comes after, I can't see a reason why this would be brought up and why any clinician would ask to see medical notes.

Thanks all!!!

hopefully get some further posts.

Fingers crossed :chatterbox:

I would suggest you consult a migration agent experienced in dealing with medical cases, @George Lombard is often mentioned. Not because I think you will have any issues, I don't believe you will but a good migration agent will know how best to approach the application.

FWIW I had post-natal depression and was on anti-depressants up to 3 years before we applied. I was honest in my application obviously and our migration agent said it was very unlikely my medical would be referred as I had not had psychiatric care or hospitalisation. He did say though if the medical was referred (which basically means that they ask for more detailed reports) that he would arrange the reports for us with a 'very sensible' consultant so if your wife is now 100% okay and has been for quite some time then I truly can't see it affected your visa.

As far as I am aware at no point do immigration have access to your actual medical records - it is based on your answers to the questions and the medical that you have.

my question is will this hinder a visa application

Well if you don't tell anyone.......who will know.

Why do you even need to admit to this?!

Especially as she has not been diagnosed with depression, not had any treatment and it is not mentioned in her medical records.

I have suffered from depression for years........and they still let me in.

Edited by jumpingjellybean

It's not the depression it's the self harm, even though it didn't cause injury or violence to anyone else.

If if they delve further this will show as we only have part medical history.

You're are right in the fact that there was not diagnosed as depression nor did she have treatment however, on the visa application it states any past illnesses, admitted to hospital etc.

ive got no issue in declaring it, just wanted to know if anybody with self harm history had been cleared for a visa.

Thanks fir for your reply Jilly.

We have been asked the following questions on the VISA:

Have you ever been admitted to hospital and/or received medical treatment for an extended period for any reason (including for a major operation or treatment of a psychiatric illness)?Have you ever been admitted to hospital and/or received medical treatment for an extended period for any reason (including for a major operation or treatment of a psychiatric illness)?requiredNot selectedYesNo

Do you suffer, or have you ever suffered, from mental health problems?

She was admitted to hospital for the attempted suicide, I want to be honest and declare everything, she has had no issues since.

I don't want to be in a position where they check medical records and find the blip in her life.

I'm just after information if anybody who has been in the same circumstances or like for like and had their VISA granted.

Did you get your visa granted ok Mel?

Regards

Do you suffer, or have you ever suffered, from mental health problems?requiredNot selectedYesNo

Agree fully with jumpingjillybean's post above.

If you want to be really honest and truthful then your answer should be NO.

The question was not "Did you/your partner attempt suicide in the past 13 years", so I see absolutely no reason why you should even bring this up in the application. Don't overcomplicate an already complex application by providing answers to questions not even asked.

Good luck with your application.

Edited by Anya

however, on the visa application it states any past illnesses .

I always thought they were referring to contagious illnesses like tuberculosis or really major serious illnesses like cancer or Aids.

If the doctors and hospital have no record of her self-harming by attempting suicide; then why rehash it now. Especially something that happened so long ago.

Surely you would only mention things were you have a recorded history that may raise questions if cross-referenced and not disclosed.

And I thought "mental health issues" referred to very serious and potentially dangerous mental illnesses like schizophrenia, bipolar, psychotic delusions etc...

Oh well. I cannot offer any advice to you. Sorry.

I really disagree with the posters that say you should conceal this on your application. The answer to the question you posted is quite clearly "yes". Everybody gets treated for a suicide attempt, she was surely sectioned as well for a short time? They don't routinely get medical records, but I believe you do sign over your right for records to be requested.

Concealing or to use a bolder word, lying on any part of the visa application is often worse than the underlying situation. From what you have said about her stability since then, this doesn't sound like something that is going to be a bar to immigration.

I always thought they were referring to contagious illnesses like tuberculosis or really major serious illnesses like cancer or Aids.

If the doctors and hospital have no record of her self-harming by attempting suicide; then why rehash it now. Especially something that happened so long ago.

Surely you would only mention things were you have a recorded history that may raise questions if cross-referenced and not disclosed.

And I thought "mental health issues" referred to very serious and potentially dangerous mental illnesses like schizophrenia, bipolar, psychotic delusions etc...

Oh well. I cannot offer any advice to you. Sorry.

You don't think depression, suicide or attempting suicide is anything major or dangerous...?

:err:

With regards to the above, it was never the fact of concealing it, I was asking the question if people have been in a similar position and had been successful with their visa.

Attempted suicide at the time is of a serious nature however, 13 years on this is not an issue.

My wife did not get sectioned or treated for depression as this was an isolated incident, which was obviously the right course of action as she has had no incidents since.

I was just after information to see if there would be a chance of failing.

Thaks is for all your advice.

Regards

Andy, if your wife was admitted to hospital then I would declare it - Mental health issues are for visa purposes judged exactly the same as any other condition, I know of some people here who have successfully migrated and had illnesses such as Bipolar Affective Disorder and Depression. In one case the person was asked to see a psychiatrist and they got a visa. Your GP will have been notified of the admission at the time - you can request a letter from them saying that she has had no on going problems or required treatment.

For the medicals they are interested in: What is the condition, what treatment/investigations and what the prognosis is.

Good luck with the visa and great to hear that your wife has had good health for all those years.

With regards to the above, it was never the fact of concealing it, I was asking the question if people have been in a similar position and had been successful with their visa.

Attempted suicide at the time is of a serious nature however, 13 years on this is not an issue.

My wife did not get sectioned or treated for depression as this was an isolated incident, which was obviously the right course of action as she has had no incidents since.

I was just after information to see if there would be a chance of failing.

Thaks is for all your advice.

Regards

Just for avoidance of doubt, my comment about concealing it was not to you but to those that suggested you should.

You don't think depression, suicide or attempting suicide is anything major or dangerous...?

Of course.

As I already said; I have had depression for years. I know what the Black Dog can do to a person. However, in my experience, people with depression tend to harm themselves and are not considered dangerous to other people.

When I said "major" and "dangerous", I was referring potentially dangerous disorders (i.e.) having a mental illnesses that requires strict medication and management like schizophrenia, bipolar, psychotic delusions etc...where you may require institutional (care in a secure hospital) and may be a danger to SOMEONE ELSE.

• 6 months later...