Is travel insurance sufficient for a 457 visa application?

DDOFA

I have insurance through my bank account which I will also use for travel to Australia. Will this be sufficient for 457 visa application, as I intend to use Medicare after I arrive?

Yes you should be fine, you will need to get your bank to issue you with a cover letter detailing what they will actually cover you for and the amounts, the main one is accidents and emergency hospital cover that they are worried about

You only have to have private health insurance for the whole of your stay if you are not in a country that has a reciprocal health agreement with Australia. You just need the holiday insurance for your visa applicatio that is valid for 30 days, if you travel after 30 days of lodging your application and your insurance has ran out you will need to buy it again once you travel to Australia.

That's what we did when we came over on a 457 visa back in May this year - but I think with your ongoing holiday insurance with your bank DDOFA will mean its fine

Edited by birdy990

Most travel insurances, certainly the ones attached to bank accounts state your journey must start and end in the UK. They are usually only for a period of 31 days for each trip (insurance attached to your bank account). Yours may be different of course but people have been caught out on this. If you are going to be there longer than 31 days your travel insurance will be invalid from the beginning. It doesn't become invalid after 31 days, it is invalid immediately as your trip doesn't start and end in the UK within 31 days.

You require adequate health cover to meet the 8501 condition of your visa, other people have been able to use the cover from the insurance through their bank account. Once in Australia you will need to register with Medicare - and you will get the reciprocal Medicare card. Being registered to Medicare will meet the 8501 condition but you can not register until you are in Australia.

I think most people would quite understandably think that if they are emigrating and have travel insurance with their UK bank account they could use that to 'start them off'. The bank will indeed give a letter confirming the insurance policy is in place and that may well be enough to pass the visa conditions as the letter wont state as long as this person isn't emigrating. I have just taken this from a bank travel insurance policy on line.

"There is absolutely no cover offered by the policy whatsoever for trips which are longer than 31 days per trip or the duration shown on your schedule. This would include not insuring you for any part of a trip which is longer than 31 days in duration or the duration shown on your schedule"

It is an often unknown condition of travel insurance, I would suggest everyone check as there would be nothing worse than the start of a 'new life' going horribly wrong.

This is an easy one. Travel insurance for 30 days, then IMAN who have dedicated 457 Visa Policy.

its very dubious to keep relying on Travel Insurance. If you have a big illness / accident they will just fly you back to the UK and wash their hands of you........good luck then getting covered in Oz.

If you then stay, and get PR you can transfer to NIB with continuity of cover, and no medical hassles, all pre existing conditions covered (please check).

Once here, apply for a Medicare card.