type 1 diabetes / childrens hospitals / perth wa

jo and scott

hi, does anyone on here have a child with type 1 diabetes ??

also, what is the care like in the hospitals, can anyone recommend a good hospital in perth / email address please.

my daughter is on accu chek combo insulin pump and dexcom sensors, id like to find out where I can find out the costs of the consumables for these items.

ps: lodging our visa on 12th feb, hoping to make the move end of august.

thanks !!

Your daughter will be fine. You will need a letter from your doctor. When you arrive and get settled, arrange an appointment at the GP of your choice and he/she will arrange for your daughter to get on to the NDSS National Diabetes Subsidiary Scheme. The doc will also refer you to a hospital with a childrens diabetic clinic. My daughter became diabetic at 11 and she was looked after until she turned 25 in clinics for children and adolescents. We pay for prescriptions and we pay for pumps here. If you take out private health insurance with extras then the pumps can be covered. My daugher adult now has been advised she needs a pump and the cost of it is $8000.00. The insulin your daughter uses may be named differently here.

Also you can join Diabetes Australia and in the meantime have a look at the site for the West Australian Branch they will provide you with all the information you need. If you are coming soon, maybe contact them and ask tell them what your concerns are.

Good luck

thanks for your reply petals, lauren is due for a pump upgrade in January 2016, I did ring our hospital today to see if we can get one before we arrive in aus (august this year) but no can do.

the insulin lauren has is novo rapid. do they have this in perth ? im sure any fast acting insulin would be fine anyway.

I will google diabetes Australia and have a nose through.

$8000 is a lot to pay out for a pump, I will def be getting private health cover.

do you know where can I find out the costs of the insulin / test strips / finger pricker lancets ??

thanks !

Guest littlesarah

I used novo rapid last year when I had gestational DM. The cost of the needles was covered by NDSS, I paid $35 for 6 months' worth of insulin(novo rapid penject + protphane penject) , & $15 per pack of test strips. I believe that all the prices are on the NDSS website. My meter was supplied by the hospital, but I'm not sure whether people usually have to pay for them.

Diabetes Australia will give you an idea of the costs of strips etc. That is why as soon as you arrive in Aus you go to the GP and register her for the NDSS scheme. This gives subsidised costs of meters and strips, etc. My daughter was on Novorapid and another one at night but most insulins are available but they may have another name. If you check the PBS Scheme, that is the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme you can find out what drugs are available and subsidised by government. Some drugs are not subsidised but are available to patients who have special conditions and cannot take the drugs that are on the scheme. My daughter has one of these and the doc just has to phone through to a special line to get her a prescription when she needs it. Diabetics are well looked after here. My daughter went to a Pediatrician until she was 16 and then she went to Monash Medical Centre here in Melbourne to the Adolescent Diabetic Clinic and as I said before she went there till she was 25.

The pumps are expensive and you would need to be in health insurance for over 12 months before she would be eligible to get one on your insurance. So you need to take it out straight away. Health insurance is not cheap and we as a family did not have it when the children were in high school. We took the money we would have paid to health insurance and banked it into a special medical account which grew and grew as we did not need to use it and we found that this was a better way of handling things than actually taking out the medical insurance.

I only have medical insurance now as I am in the repair to joints zone of life lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you also for valuable information. I'm going to ask same question again but relevant to my condition. I'm from India and thinking of PR in Oz. My husband is Type1 diabetic.

My question is

1. For immigrants who have diabetic Madicare card is issued?

2. Do freshly arrived immigrants get benefit of PBS for existing medical condition? is there any waiting period to get benefit of this scheme.

3. I checked in one website about Lantus Insulin 100 **/ml 5X3ml which cost $453 in private. In this im not sure of quantity how much it is and why it is so crazily priced? If i dont get medicare card and have to pay insulin without concession all my salary will go in buying medicine.

4. There is 12month waiting period for existing aliment to cover in private insurance but no where i see specific about diabetes will that covered after 12months waiting period? or any other condition as after effect of diabetes is covered?

Kindly answer very specifically as I'm reading lot and not getting a clear answer to my queries.

Thanks in advance.

Sushma

Thank you also for valuable information. I'm going to ask same question again but relevant to my condition. I'm from India and thinking of PR in Oz. My husband is Type1 diabetic.

My question is

1. For immigrants who have diabetic Madicare card is issued?

2. Do freshly arrived immigrants get benefit of PBS for existing medical condition? is there any waiting period to get benefit of this scheme.

3. I checked in one website about Lantus Insulin 100 **/ml 5X3ml which cost $453 in private. In this im not sure of quantity how much it is and why it is so crazily priced? If i dont get medicare card and have to pay insulin without concession all my salary will go in buying medicine.

4. There is 12month waiting period for existing aliment to cover in private insurance but no where i see specific about diabetes will that covered after 12months waiting period? or any other condition as after effect of diabetes is covered?

Kindly answer very specifically as I'm reading lot and not getting a clear answer to my queries.

Thanks in advance.

Sushma

I can answer two of your questions and offer an opinion on a third.

Some history,I arrived in Australia aged 65 as the spouse of main applicant on PR visa. I had been type one diabetic for 39 years at that point and have been here for 3 1/2 years.

1. During my medical in the UK all details of my diabetes were revealed to the examining doctor. On arrival in Australia Medicare card issued on request, no problem (worries?) at all.

2. This is the one I'm not sure about but certainly I was supplied with insulin at the first request, I had brought out from the UK an initial six months supply.

3. I use Lantus 100 and it is supplied under Medicare. I receive it in pen form and a pen contains 300 units, a prescription consists of five pens, therefore a total of 1500 units. I only use Lantus at nighttime and my dosage is 15 units per night, therefore a prescription will be sufficient for 100 evenings, the cost is the standard chage of $37. I do of course use fast acting insulin during the day for which, again, I pay $37. The fast acting supply is again a total of 1500 units and as I use 32 units per day it lasts me for errrrr, shall we say 50 days, therefore for 100 days of insulin I pay 3x37 = $111.

4. As a result of diabetes I had to have a toe amputated, I can now order four and a half pints without a word being said. This was carried out under BUPA although it was over a year after we had joined BUPA.

hope that this answer some of your questions.

Mamba

I have to correct myself but don't worry it's good not bad.

Multiply the amount of insulin I receive from each $37 prescription by five.

I receive my humalog as follows, Humalog 100U/ML 3MLx5x5 which means 100x3x5x5= 7500units.

I receive my Lantus-Solostar pen in the form of a pen containing 3ML x5x5 and at 100 units per ML works out at 100x3x5x5=7500 units. It is very cheap and affordable

Sorry for the ordinal error

Mamba

• 4 weeks later...

My son is type 1 ...like others have said apply for ndss card gives u needles free and test strips at 15.20 , my boy has 3 different kinds of insulin a day 3/4 injections a day ...he's never been referred to a hospital prob because he was 18 when arrive ...they see to him at the docs by us ...which has a little clinic he has his hba1 done around every 3 months and feet checked every yr eyes ...his insulin is 37 a script 3 sorts lasts him around 3 month , I pay for his monitor but I can claim some back from supplier if I send receipt but never bothered .......was six when he was diagnosed . But manages it really well ...u b fine :)