Hypnotherapy

blossom

Know someone who was so scared of flying they couldnt even go to an airport, after treatment they are flying all over the place. The impression I get is you have to want the treatment, if you go in determined it wont work it often doesnt. They are some using it for weight loss with amazing results

Guest littlesarah

If you're looking at changing 'core beliefs', CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) is one of the few psychotherapies that has evidence to support its effectiveness (if I understand correctly).

If you're looking at changing 'core beliefs', CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) is one of the few psychotherapies that has evidence to support its effectiveness (if I understand correctly).

My partner has body dysmorphic disorder, it flares up every now and again, but for some reason he is very anti councilling. He doesn't think it can change how he seems himself. Hypnotherapy he is more open to.

I became interested in hypnosis when is was doing my psych degree. It is just a very relaxed state similar to daydreaming or zoning out. You have probably experienced it yourself if you have ever driven somewhere and then realised you couldn't remember the drive once you got there.

Hypnosis is designed to induce that very relaxed and suggestible state of mind but people under hypnosis are always in control and they can't be hypnotised against their will, nor can they be made to do things they wouldn't normally be willing to do.

If your partner is open to it it could be beneficial however it would work best if he combined it with appropriate therapy.

Either way I would strongly suggest that he gets a referral from his GP so he can be sure he is seeing someone appropriately qualified.

Guest littlesarah
My partner has body dysmorphic disorder, it flares up every now and again, but for some reason he is very anti councilling. He doesn't think it can change how he seems himself. Hypnotherapy he is more open to.

CBT isn't really 'counselling' as such (which I understand his reluctance to engage with, as talking things through doesn't necessarily alter one's deep-rooted beliefs); as a psychologist explained it to me it involves identifying one's deepest beliefs (e.g. that one is of low worth, or unattractive or whatever), and then carrying out various exercises/tasks that aim to look with rational eyes at those beliefs to see that they are not correct. I can't comment from personal experience, but it was the only technique used by a team working in pain management (it was an NHS/uni programme that was ground-breaking and highly successful. They probably published their findings but I don't have the references to hand).