Is OZ actually good for you?

Huntersmummy

Hello my lovely lot.Whilst we're waiting for our visa to come through.......

Just a quick question regarding a common problem. My husband and I have suffered from skin problems, I have severe psoriasis and arthritis and husband has it to and keloids. (Scarring of the skin, bit like stretch marks)

Now its better in summer due to the warm weather (well for about the 2 weeks of summer you get in the uk)

So technically moving to a hot country, would make you feel tip top?

Has anyone ever noticed their health get better due to emigrating to oz?

Many kind regards

Sarah :)

Just a quick question regarding a common problem. My husband and I have suffered from skin problems, I have severe psoriasis and arthritis and husband has it to and keloids. (Scarring of the skin, bit like stretch marks)

Now its better in summer due to the warm weather (well for about the 2 weeks of summer you get in the uk)

Many kind regards

Look at the average pom on arrival and then 12 mths later. Pale and sickly to fit and healthy.

Thanks for your replies guys! Another bonus of being psoriasis free when moving abroad! Cant wait! :) x

No guarantee on being psoriasis free, I suppose it depends on what sets it off in the first place, my son still gets it, usually caused by some stress in his personal life, but it does go away quickly with some sun and sea water. There are a few Chinese herbalists around that may have some concoctions which could help too.

Guest Guest 47403
And more often than not from a slim 50kg (8st) to an obese, sweaty 120kg (19st) mess.

Only if your a lazy slob, a country doesn't do that to someone just an attitude.

Only if your a lazy slob, a country doesn't do that to someone just an attitude.

Not necessarily - weather certainly helps! Ive just been back for a fortnight and in order to get a walk into the day I had to be out of the house by 6am or it wasn't going to happen. That's fine if you are retired and have no responsibilities but when you are working full time, have kids to get off to school etc the weather can be a real deterrent. It was only 50kg for me LOL and lazy and slob weren't really the issue unfortunately.

Guest Guest 47403
Not necessarily - weather certainly helps! Ive just been back for a fortnight and in order to get a walk into the day I had to be out of the house by 6am or it wasn't going to happen. That's fine if you are retired and have no responsibilities but when you are working full time, have kids to get off to school etc the weather can be a real deterrent. It was only 50kg for me LOL and lazy and slob weren't really the issue unfortunately.

If i'm honest Quoll I don't think it was that you were a lazy slob but it was your frame of mind, Ive never been to Canberra but for an active outdoor type of person give me Canberra's climate over the uk ANY day!

Guest Guest 47403
Over 50% of the population of this country are obese, so I take it that what you're saying is that Australians are lazy slobs.

Of course obese people are lazy slobs, It's not unique to Australia the figures are similar in a lot of first world countries.

That is not necessarily so.

In December 2009 I weighed 105 kg (I'm 172cm or 5' 8" tall). That month I moved from Sydney to Suwon in South Korea where I stayed for a year. During my stay my weight dropped down to 82 kg. My height remained the same.

You might think that is due to the different diet of South Koreans. But that is not correct. All the same crap that's available here is just as available there. And I certainly didn't eat a Korean diet. In fact I found Korean food to be horrific ( e.g. Cow's Intestine Soup with big chunks of artery in it ). So I still indulged in cans of Coke, chocolate, crisps etc as well as baked beans on toast, sausages, coffee, what passes for cheese in Korea and fruit.

When I came back to Australia in November 2010 I started to gain weight - I now weigh 105 kg and stand 5' 8" tall.

Well, maybe I'm lazy? Since losing my IT job and up until last week I was working for a Sydney cafe. I did anything and everything for 6 days a week and a total of 65 hours ( and only got paid $400 ). So it doesn't look like laziness.

Over 50% of the population of this country are obese, so I take it that what you're saying is that Australians are lazy slobs.

AIH figures show it's less than 25%. Another bloody pom that can't add up!

I seem to recall that you said you originally came from England and that you had been in Australia for about 50 years. It shows, you have become just like them, rude and aggressive.

Many kind regards

yeah you might look better on the outside. But it's what is hidden inside your head you can't really gauge.you might look tip top ,but inside crap.

logo.gif

Authoritative information and statistics

to promote better health and wellbeing

Overweight and obesity

About excess body weight

Excess weight, especially obesity, is a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease, Type 2 diabetes, some musculoskeletal conditions and some cancers. As the level of excess weight increases, so does the risk of developing these conditions. In addition, being overweight can hamper the ability to control or manage chronic disorders.

Excess body weight is a concern

Rates of overweight and obesity are continuing to rise in Australia. Collecting information on these trends is important for managing the health problems associated with them.

BMI

Body mass index (BMI) is widely used to monitor body weight.

Calculate your BMI (opens in popup window)

Overweight and obesity by the numbers

74c8eacd-83ab-4195-bc2d-bfcf7bbfcfbe.gif3 in 5

Australian adults are overweight or obese (based on BMI). That's over 12 million people!

42c73e98-8c35-47e3-afed-6b6ec583c32f.gif5%

more adults are overweight or obese than in 1995.

0daf2e59-2e82-4ab2-b583-04c526ef2b3c.gif1 in 4

Australian children are overweight or obese.

daa1c7f2-58ed-447e-8811-fc920d36b311.gifOver 30%

more people living in outer regional and remote areas are obese than people living in major cities.

498db332-0c24-419b-bbe1-3dffdc994323.gif3rd place

Overweight and obesity is only beaten by smoking and high blood pressure as a contributor to burden of disease.

Normally I don't take much notice of polls, but being as YOU cited this one here it is. 3 in 5, over 12 million people in a country with about 24 million. I make that about half. Edited by cjscjs

But not a bullshit artiste like yourself.

robertsen, see the above reply to page murray, re AIH statistics, and then having read and digested it, please feel free to reply to me. However can I ask that your reply is more than half a line and that you do not use bad language.

Edited by cjscjs

Maybe getting back to the OP's question. If whatever you have responds to heat and humidity and doesn't have another trigger then yes, it will get better, be aware though, that there any many allergens here that do the opposite and set people off. Personally I never suffered from hay fever in the UK, have it pretty much all year 'round here. I also had a waaay more outdoor lifestyle in the UK; very much lived by the remit "there's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes" and frankly, it's far more pleasant going for a hike with a decent waterproof than in 35 degrees and high humidity.

But each to their own.