Water birth

blossom

Next month (end of, wow it's getting close when I say it like that) my first baby is due.

I'm keen for a water birth and would love to know how other people have gone with them. My partner is all like 'I don't understand why you wouldn't just have an epidural so you are not in pain'. But of course for a water birth you can't have had one.

Any feedback would be great. :-)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted a water birth with #1, didn't happen. Even though I was in the pool room!! Had pethadline and gas+air with him only.

#2 + 3 I only had g+a.

For me the pain gave me a reason to push the little buggers out. [emoji1]

As it's your first baby I would say, don't plan much. I had a birth plan with #1, it wasn't read once. But then again I didn't know what to expect.

With 2+3 I didn't even bother looking at the birth plan page in my notes let alone fill it in.

I suppose I'm going round the houses saying have plans, if nowhere else but in your head. But go with the flow at the time. Make sure hubby is behind you no matter what, if you 100% don't want an epidural, tell him that and get him to help you through it. You may change your mind, you may find the pool uncomfortable (don't think I know anyone that's not liked the pool [emoji6]). I had terrible back labour with 2+3 and with the 3rd would have to 'leap' off the bed when the contractions came, then back on, then off, then on. You get the picture.

All very exciting though!!! You're going to get to see your baby next month!!

My daughter in law had one for the first granddaughter but chose not to for the second - that surprised me somewhat given her "Earth Mother" approach to everything. She's not said why and I don't ask.

edited to say, I agree with Tappers. Don't hang onto the birth plan too much - my other daughter in law. Had her birth plan meticulously planned (inc water birth!) but it went out the window when the little tyke decided to arrive early - waters broke, induction, epidural and Ventouse extraction. Unfortunately she was so convinced about the birth plan that she now sees herself as a failure and it's taking a lot of reassurance to convince her she's nothing of the sort!

Edited by Quoll

Ohhhhh I'm very open. I would prefer not to have pain killers, but I'll have them if I feel like I need it. My partner is under instruction not to keep saying 'why not have the epidural' (I know what he's like). If I decide to have it I will make that choice.

My birth plan is to aim for as little pain killers as possible. Water birth if nothing goes wrong, and delayed cord clamping. Ohhhh and avoid c section as far as possible. That's it lol.

Ohhhhh yer, and mega quick ha ha.

Ohhhhh I'm very open. I would prefer not to have pain killers, but I'll have them if I feel like I need it. My partner is under instruction not to keep saying 'why not have the epidural' (I know what he's like). If I decide to have it I will make that choice.

My birth plan is to aim for as little pain killers as possible. Water birth if nothing goes wrong, and delayed cord clamping. Ohhhh and avoid c section as far as possible. That's it lol.

Not sure about the quick bit,lol, my second was quick with only a 2 hour labour and way more painful than my first,, on saying that any pain is forgotten so quickly once you have that Bubba in your arms.

Cal x

I had delay card clamping with #3, (against docs advice) but I researched and felt that was best for me.

Best birth (well 3rd stage of labour) of the lot. My friend was a student midwife too and delivered baby number 3 and is a big advocate for dcc and hubby was on my side too but it was still a battle! I think newer midwives are more up to date on it but the older ones not so much.

Not sure about the quick bit,lol, my second was quick with only a 2 hour labour and way more painful than my first,, on saying that any pain is forgotten so quickly once you have that Bubba in your arms.

Cal x

I was told this so many times, didn't believe it till I actually went through it. The human body is AMAZING. :-)

I had delay card clamping with #3, (against docs advice) but I researched and felt that was best for me.

Best birth (well 3rd stage of labour) of the lot. My friend was a student midwife too and delivered baby number 3 and is a big advocate for dcc and hubby was on my side too but it was still a battle! I think newer midwives are more up to date on it but the older ones not so much.

Luckily it looks like my hospital does this as standard. I had a breast feeding class today and they said now adays it's all about the first feed. The cord cutting and weighing comes after, which they then said is good as clamping the cord straight away isn't as good for the baby. So at least I won't have to fight for that lol.

Cal x

Really? I reckon this is an urban myth, lol, it hurts like hell...take all the drugs they offer you Blossom...why suffer? They don't give you any credit for doing so (and the post natal midviwes are stingy as with the meds so get em while you can:)

I would avoid an epidural though...a bit 'too' interventional when a good dose of the good stuff will help in the later stages. The guided meditation stuff worked well for me along with gas and air tbh

I had a long first labour (26 hours) and no epidural and was adamant second time for having one which I did towards the end even though the labour was only 9 hours. Made it a much more pleasant experience, for me, having it. Only downside to it was having to have a catheter and stay in hospital overnight afterwards but I had to have a catheter with my first birth anyway (won't go into all the details!) Personal choice, would just say go with the flow, don't rule anything out. Bear in mind the epidural takes approx 45min-1 hour to fully take effect as they only let you top it up gradually.

Didn't want pethidine myself as it passes through to the baby. Had a couple of half doses of meptid first time which isn't supposed to pass through to baby but I think it did as he slept 6 hours straight after birth which my second did not.

Hmmm, a water birth was my intention too (apparently it decreases the likelihood of tearing), and I was set against pain relief ... but I ended up with induced contractions, gas / air made me projectile vomit, and after a day of hidious pain with only 1cm to show for it I was demanding an epidural. Gotta say it was amazing, I quickly fell asleep and they woke me after 2 hrs as I was 10cm :) she just pushed herself out within a few easy minutes after that. Good luck!

Luckily it looks like my hospital does this as standard. I had a breast feeding class today and they said now adays it's all about the first feed. The cord cutting and weighing comes after, which they then said is good as clamping the cord straight away isn't as good for the baby. So at least I won't have to fight for that lol.

Excellent. One less thing to think/worry about.

I know this started out as mainly advice on water births, but if you get asked if you'd mind a student I say go for it. I had students in all 3 births and you kinda get 2 staff for the price of one (in the uk anyway). :-)

As everyone says, go with the flow, as the reality is unlikely to be like you expect. I was induced with both of mine, people say the contractions from induction are worse than natural birth and I would testify that the pain was of an intensity and type that I could never have imagined beforehand. I asked for an epidural with my first, only to be told that the anesthetist had been called away to the operating theatre to attend an emergency, and by the time she was free it was too late for me so I had to make do with gas and air!! To be honest everything went out of the window when the time actually arrived, the breathing exercises did help and as one of the midwives helpfully told me when I wasn't coping too well, don't panic, your body is designed to give birth. Afterwards I was really pleased that I didn't have an epidural and didn't even consider one with my second (which by the way hurt just as much but was better as mentally I knew what to expect second time around).

I'm a huge fan of water births, although wasn't allowed to have one because of my bmi :( with regards to having a birth plan, I really really believe you will gave a better labour if you have a "plan". It's not so much that you control every step, more that you understand each step, and that your midwifery team can give you a labour a close to the one you imagined as possible. Remember, contractions intensify with fear, staying calm and relaxing your entire body can help reduce pain and make labour go quicker. Watch a few water births online with your DH, they might inspire him. Also check out "the business of being born" by Ricky lake, it's a bit preachy but it's informative, and your husband might change his mind about opting for the epi straight away (I'm not anti epidural, I've had two, but the labour I did without it was way better, and the recovery was much quicker).

best if luck with it, I'm very jealous! Even though I only did it six months ago, I'd do it again tomorrow!

Oh - me, me! I had a water birth with my first, it was in hospital and it was fantastic. Labour had been over 12 hours before I got into the pool and the relief; it was so good I didn't get out to deliver even though the midwives wanted me too. My second I hoped for the same but was left unexamined for too long (no-one really thought I was far enough along until my mum went to find a midwife to tell them I was pushing...) I was offered a bath though! And my third was a planned homebirth (although she arrived before the midwife) and I must have spent a good hour or more using the shower to alleviate the contractions - we'd decided against a home water birth, mostly for practical reasons (in the hospital the pool is like a giant bath so the temperature can be kept constant whereas at home it would have involved lots of emptying, topping up blah blah...) but I certainly find water a great pain reliever. One of the things I was told at an antenatal class was that every contraction was a good pain because it was one step closer the end, and found that really helpful to focus on. And although Hollywood portrays breathing as comic that too helps focus your mind.

I'd say, as others have, that you do need to be flexible in your plans and obviously when it happens all you want is a healthy baby, healthy mother. And one more thing, I'm not sure how the Australia system works but bear in mind that in France ladies are given 42 weeks as standard, so don't be pushed into an early induction. I really do believe (from no medical background at all) that a pregnant body can cope better when it's ready to do what it needs to do.

Oh - and don't take too much into hospital it's really quite tricky to carry everything and a new baby back out - and it's unlikely that you'll even use half of it!

Edited by flossybeth
Adding more "advice"

My advise...don't get too uptight about plans, water births , pain relief.

yes of course have your wishes written down, if you want a water birth, and you are in control enough, then demand it.

Imo, it all goes out the window when it hits, having a nice midwife makes all the difference, one who lets you move into the position you feel most comfortable.

Your not going to know what you need or want right up to the moment.

ive only done it twice.....but both were oh so different.

Nah, I can also still remember the pain as though it was yesterday. My ex is convinced this is the reason I had such a horrific time with my second child. I was so worked up about it that my body didn't want to do what comes naturally. My first was 5 hours start to finish, my second was 2.5 days and an emergency section.

To the OP, go with the flow. Don't plan too much beyond the sort of music you want. I know plenty who have had water births and as long as you aren't far away from medical intervention should the need arise then go for it.

I've quickly read through this thread but I don't think anyone has mentioned TENS machines, I found this fantastic in Labour - it also gave something my OH could do to feel useful :)

By the time I decided I'd would like an epidural after all it was too late but afterwards I was glad I didn't, as I was up and about quickly afterwards compared to women on the ward who had one.

Water birth wasn't an option at our local hospital and I didn't consider a home birth - I would have if I had gone for a second though.

Thanks very much everyone. :-)

Since getting pregnant I seem to have mellowed lots (even partner says so) and am not worried about the labour, even though I have been my whole life. Hopefully I'll manage to keep calm. I've had kidney pain since being pregnant which lots of people tell me is worse than child birth. I can't really see it, but if the majority of the contractions are no worse I should be fine. :-)

I already have a student midwife. She's been there from the start. :-)

I'm thinking of using aromatherapy too. Luckily they have already told me they don't induce unless medically necessary.

I'm probably too relaxed about what to take to the hospital. I was thinking phone charger, snacks, baby outfit, clothes to wear out, hairbrush, toothbrush. That's about it lol.

Do you know what's, that's prob about it actually. And wash stuff, shower/bath gel that sort of thing.

With ds we packed everything including the kitchen sink lol. The other 2 it was a few baby grows, a pack of nappies, wipes, a few bits for me, literally the bare minimum. If I needed something hubby just had to go get it lol.

I think it's brill you're so calm. (I was bricking it with the first, just had to put up with it with the others as I knew what was coming).

I recon you'll have a calm baby too. :-)

Ooh ooh! Don't forget the camera/charger too! (Unless you're using your phone camera instead). :-)