SAD

BestyBlue

Hi everyone,

I thought I would share with you my first experience of visiting an Australian GP today.

For about 10 years I have struggled with thyroid troubles, firstly over active and now under active following treatment. This has been well controlled, however I've never felt 100%. I have struggled with lack of motivation and energy, particularly in winter. Which made me think that I was having seasonally affected thyroid trouble. However on the numerous occasions that I mentioned it to my Dr they fobbed me off and wouldn't even contemplate my thoughts.

Since being out in Australia I have felt the healthiest I can ever remember feeling, so much energy! Plus I look healthy too, my sunken eyes have disappeared and I have colour in my cheeks.

So today when I visited the Dr's I thought I would mention my thoughts to him whilst sorting my prescription. He instantly diagnosed me with SAD.

But what's great is because we are in sunny Queensland he feels that my symptoms will only improve.

I know many people are sceptical about SAD, but I just wanted to share my experience and also highlight how amazing I feel.

:wink:

Edited by BestyBlue

There is nothing funny about depression, anxiety and other forms of mental illness.

Diseases and Conditions[h=1]Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)[/h]

Print

Sections

1. Basics
    1. Definition
    2. Symptoms
    3. Causes
    4. Risk factors
    5. Complications
    6. Preparing for your appointment
    7. Tests and diagnosis
    8. Treatments and drugs
    9. Lifestyle and home remedies
    10. Alternative medicine
    11. Coping and support
    12. Prevention

[*]

[*]In-Depth

[*]Multimedia

[*]Resources

[*]News From Mayo Clinic

1. Definition
      2. Symptoms
      3. Causes
      4. Risk factors
      5. Complications
      6. Preparing for your appointment
      7. Tests and diagnosis
      8. Treatments and drugs
      9. Lifestyle and home remedies
      10. Alternative medicine
      11. Coping and support
      12. Prevention

Products and servicesmayo-clinic-diet-book-ad-130x195.ashx

[h=2]Free E-newsletter[/h]Subscribe to Housecall

Our general interest e-newsletter keeps you up to date on a wide variety of health topics.

[h=2]Symptoms[/h]By Mayo Clinic Staff

In most cases, seasonal affective disorder symptoms appear during late fall or early winter and go away during the sunnier days of spring and summer. However, some people with the opposite pattern have symptoms that begin in spring or summer. In either case, symptoms may start out mild and become more severe as the season progresses.

[h=3]Fall and winter seasonal affective disorder (winter depression)[/h]Winter-onset seasonal affective disorder symptoms include:

• Depression
    • Hopelessness
    • Anxiety
    • Loss of energy
    • Heavy, "leaden" feeling in the arms or legs
    • Social withdrawal
    • Oversleeping
    • Loss of interest in activities you once enjoyed
    • Appetite changes, especially a craving for foods high in carbohydrates
    • Weight gain
    • Difficulty concentrating

[h=3]Spring and summer seasonal affective disorder (summer depression)[/h]Summer-onset seasonal affective disorder symptoms include:

• Anxiety
    • Trouble sleeping (insomnia)
    • Irritability
    • Agitation
    • Weight loss
    • Poor appetite
    • Increased sex drive

[h=3]Seasonal changes in bipolar disorder[/h]In some people with bipolar disorder, spring and summer can bring on symptoms of mania or a less intense form of mania (hypomania). This is known as reverse seasonal affective disorder. Signs and symptoms of reverse seasonal affective disorder include:

• Persistently elevated mood
    • Hyperactivity
    • Agitation
    • Unbridled enthusiasm out of proportion to the situation
    • Rapid thoughts and speech

[h=3]When to see a doctor[/h]It's normal to have some days when you feel down. But if you feel down for days at a time and you can't seem to get motivated to do activities you normally enjoy, see your doctor. This is particularly important if you notice that your sleep patterns and appetite have changed or if you feel hopeless, think about suicide, or find yourself turning to alcohol for comfort or relaxation

I must confess I never believed in it. Plain ignorance and weak cynicism on my part which I can admit. However it turns out that I may be a sufferer as well and I am a right pain in the butt at certain times of the year. :-p

Great news for you and well done. Long may it continue :-)

It's great when you find you feel better - you don't realize quite how crap you feel until you don't feel that way any more. I had situational depression in spades and though I knew about it in theory and, to a certain extent, said it was all in the mind and of course I could manage that (I have a wonderful repertoire of tricks) but in the end it was a magical cure when I was removed from that situation and I haven't looked back despite my current circumstances heaping stress by the day. Long may your health benefits prevail!

I have it too. It's amazing how much more energy and 'get up and go' I have in the summer!

Every year I swear I won't let the short days get to me and every year they do. I should just accept that it's something I have no control over :wink:.

I don't get depression as such, just lethargy and tiredness and my limbs feel like they're made of lead, which in turn makes me feel 'down' because I love being active.

Ive been a bit better since we got a dog because I have to get out and walk him and even that bit of daylight and exercise makes a difference. I also have a light box which helps a bit too.

I'm glad you're feeling better!

I just looked it up and unless you are in northern Queensland you (general you) are just as likely to get SAD in Australia as UK, because Australia has pretty short days too, aren't they shorter in Queensland because they don't change the clocks? I expect you are just happier with your life.

Australian doctors to tend to over diagnose I have found! This winter I know five people who have apparently had pneumonia, never met anyone who has had pneumonia before..

I just looked it up and unless you are in northern Queensland you (general you) are just as likely to get SAD in Australia as UK, because Australia has pretty short days too, aren't they shorter in Queensland because they don't change the clocks? I expect you are just happier with your life.

Australian doctors to tend to over diagnose I have found! This winter I know five people who have apparently had pneumonia, never met anyone who has had pneumonia before..

I've heard of people suffering in Aus too, but I was better in Perth, mainly I think because the days tend to be brighter and winter shorter.

I'm afraid your response is reflective of many people who simply don't understand mental illness, I'm not saying the OP has mental illness, but it would appear that due to the Thyroid issues, the warmer weather has had a positive effect on the SAD symptoms.

I don't doubt that people get SAD in Australia, but I think the lesser extremes of cold weather (particularly in Queensland) make the improvements far more noticeable if you have been a sufferer in the UK.

As far as doctors over diagnosing, I've not found that personally.

Edited by ToowoombaBlue
Brackets!

I'm not sure I agree Pumpkin with your response, as not only do you need to understand SAD but you also need to understand the affects of over active and under active thyroids. I don't think this is a simple case of 'mental illness' as it has also affected the levels of medication that I am having to take for my thyroid in a positive way too.

I think I'm lucky in the sense that I have only been affected mildly by SAD, but I absolutely have to disagree with it being because I'm happy following our move, as I wasn't unhappy in the UK.

Just wanted to share my experience and show that it's ok to have SAD and not something to be embarrassed about :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pretty certain I had it although like you undiagnosed. I've been on and off anti depressants for years treating depression but since I've been here its like a fog has lifted. I've lost weight got fit and am on no medication for anything at all. My body is a temple that I sometimes baptize in red wine :wink::laugh:

Edited by Que Sera, Sera
  • Like 1