Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Chikungunya Virus Posed To Enter Far North Queensland

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      4207 times
      Rep

Chikungunya Virus Posed To Enter Far North Queensland

Anyone heard of the latest pest in danger of finding a home in FNQ, the Asian Tiger Mosquito? (Aedes Alborictus) A particularly nasty breed of mossie that has caused problems in PNG and is already in the Islands.

Its effects are far worse than Ross River Virus, with far more severe joint pain along with vomiting, severe fatigue and headaches.
      It usually doesn't kill but is very debilitating. As the carrier of Dengue Fever it also strikes during the day or dusk as well as being highly aggressive.

It's called the BBQ stopper. Already found in The States it impacts on lifestyle in certain areas with the danger of being outside. Doctors in Australia have misdiagnosed the virus confusing it with Dengue or not finding the problem at all. A number of folk have returned from Bali with the virus. It can take a matter of weeks or nine months or more to recover.

A few isolated mossies have been found by Cairns Port and some in a hot house in Melbourne after the import of bamboo from China, but appears yet to get a foothold in Australia.
      It is thought it could go as far as Melbourne if does so, as such is not purely a tropical based issue.

Anyone heard of the Asian Tiger Mossie? It has black and white stripes. Hence the name. Anyone encountered Dengue in FNQ? There was a major outbreak a few years back.

PSS International Removals

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      9989 times
      Rep
      oh great....i really need to brush up on my knowledge of insects there...how much chance is there of me getting bitten by a mossie? should i be wearing repellent every day or just when we're out of the city a bit.

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      308 times
      Rep
      I personally find it I possible not to get bitten, whether I cover up (they bite through my clothes).. Put on spray ( they'll find 1cm spot I have not put it on) bite between my fingers on the webbed bits lol. Can't cover up or repellant all day every day so it really a tough one. I was bitten putting my washing out a couple of days ago .

There are a few new strains of Malaria/other mossie type viruses that haven't quite made it to our shores as of yet. I do find it a bit of a worry, and I don't live all that far away from FNQ.
      pablo likes this.
      175- 23rd April 2011 -VisaGranted-21/11/2011........ Landed in Queensland June 2012. Let the fun begin........

Title
      Loony leftie republican..
      Liked
      20890 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Eng32 View Post
      I personally find it I possible not to get bitten, whether I cover up (they bite through my clothes).. Put on spray ( they'll find 1cm spot I have not put it on) bite between my fingers on the webbed bits lol. Can't cover up or repellant all day every day so it really a tough one. I was bitten putting my washing out a couple of days ago .

There are a few new strains of Malaria/other mossie type viruses that haven't quite made it to our shores as of yet. I do find it a bit of a worry, and I don't live all that far away from FNQ.
      Are you available for hire as a mosquito repellent at all? got to be safe with you around lol,you have my sympathy tho,sounds a pain that,things like that dont like me,might be the blood in me whisky stream...
      Eng32 and Lindor like this.
      "The problem with neo conservative capitalism and it's insatiable greed for more wealth and disparity amongst the populace,is that it ended up being the catalyst for the great depression and modern recession"

Me,tonight

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      308 times
      Rep
      It really is a pain in the butt, my Hubby n Daughter don't get bitten, it's just me. By far the worst thing about living here. I just have to cross my fingers and hope I don't catch anything nasty.
      pablo and Lindor like this.
      175- 23rd April 2011 -VisaGranted-21/11/2011........ Landed in Queensland June 2012. Let the fun begin........

Title
      Liked
      20890 times
      Rep
      It really is a pain in the butt, my Hubby n Daughter don't get bitten, it's just me. By far the worst thing about living here. I just have to cross my fingers and hope I don't catch anything nasty.
      Well good luck with that girl,maybe try the whisky theory out,if it doesnt stop them,it will numb the pain....
      Eng32 likes this.
      "The problem with neo conservative capitalism and it's insatiable greed for more wealth and disparity amongst the populace,is that it ended up being the catalyst for the great depression and modern recession"

Me,tonight

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      4758 times
      Rep

They love me! I left Perth a few weeks ago with 2 bites on my hand and one on my foot, by the time I landed my hand was swollen from my knuckles to past my wrist!!
      pablo, Eng32 and fifi69 like this.
      I drink, therefore I dance.....

Title
      Liked
      20890 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Lindor View Post
      They love me! I left Perth a few weeks ago with 2 bites on my hand and one on my foot, by the time I landed my hand was swollen from my knuckles to past my wrist!!
      Our hod carrier counted 28 bites on one leg,and 29 on the other one day,if it bites it flies straight to ben lmao
      Lindor likes this.

Me,tonight

Title
      PIO Chatter Box
      Liked
      4758 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
      Our hod carrier counted 28 bites on one leg,and 29 on the other one day,if it bites it flies straight to ben lmao
      I feel his pain!
      pablo likes this.
      I drink, therefore I dance.....

Title
      Platinum Member
      Liked
      308 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post

Yep, that's me too

ill give the whiskey a try lol.... Or will good ol Bundy Rum work... Love that stuff. Wine certainly doesn't help lol
      pablo and fifi69 like this.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast