Chikungunya Virus Posed To Enter Far North Queensland

flag of convenience

Anyone heard of the latest pest in danger of finding a home in FNQ, the Asian Tiger Mosquito? (Aedes Alborictus) A particularly nasty breed of mossie that has caused problems in PNG and is already in the Islands.

Its effects are far worse than Ross River Virus, with far more severe joint pain along with vomiting, severe fatigue and headaches.

It usually doesn't kill but is very debilitating. As the carrier of Dengue Fever it also strikes during the day or dusk as well as being highly aggressive.

It's called the BBQ stopper. Already found in The States it impacts on lifestyle in certain areas with the danger of being outside. Doctors in Australia have misdiagnosed the virus confusing it with Dengue or not finding the problem at all. A number of folk have returned from Bali with the virus. It can take a matter of weeks or nine months or more to recover.

A few isolated mossies have been found by Cairns Port and some in a hot house in Melbourne after the import of bamboo from China, but appears yet to get a foothold in Australia.

It is thought it could go as far as Melbourne if does so, as such is not purely a tropical based issue.

Anyone heard of the Asian Tiger Mossie? It has black and white stripes. Hence the name. Anyone encountered Dengue in FNQ? There was a major outbreak a few years back.

I personally find it I possible not to get bitten, whether I cover up (they bite through my clothes).. Put on spray ( they'll find 1cm spot I have not put it on) bite between my fingers on the webbed bits lol. Can't cover up or repellant all day every day so it really a tough one. I was bitten putting my washing out a couple of days ago :confused:.

There are a few new strains of Malaria/other mossie type viruses that haven't quite made it to our shores as of yet. I do find it a bit of a worry, and I don't live all that far away from FNQ. :cry:

I personally find it I possible not to get bitten, whether I cover up (they bite through my clothes).. Put on spray ( they'll find 1cm spot I have not put it on) bite between my fingers on the webbed bits lol. Can't cover up or repellant all day every day so it really a tough one. I was bitten putting my washing out a couple of days ago :confused:.

There are a few new strains of Malaria/other mossie type viruses that haven't quite made it to our shores as of yet. I do find it a bit of a worry, and I don't live all that far away from FNQ. :cry:

Are you available for hire as a mosquito repellent at all? got to be safe with you around lol,you have my sympathy tho,sounds a pain that,things like that dont like me,might be the blood in me whisky stream...

It really is a pain in the butt, my Hubby n Daughter don't get bitten, it's just me. By far the worst thing about living here. I just have to cross my fingers and hope I don't catch anything nasty.

Well good luck with that girl,maybe try the whisky theory out,if it doesnt stop them,it will numb the pain....

They love me! I left Perth a few weeks ago with 2 bites on my hand and one on my foot, by the time I landed my hand was swollen from my knuckles to past my wrist!!

They love me! I left Perth a few weeks ago with 2 bites on my hand and one on my foot, by the time I landed my hand was swollen from my knuckles to past my wrist!!

Our hod carrier counted 28 bites on one leg,and 29 on the other one day,if it bites it flies straight to ben lmao

Our hod carrier counted 28 bites on one leg,and 29 on the other one day,if it bites it flies straight to ben lmao

Yep, that's me too :chatterbox:

ill give the whiskey a try lol.... Or will good ol Bundy Rum work... Love that stuff. Wine certainly doesn't help lol :goofy:

Thing being of course is that the Asian Tiger Mosquito is not ordinary mozzie. The bite is debilitating not just swelling and discomfort. It is highly aggressive and has played a large part in diminishing the outdoor life styles in some American states. They have asked residents in I think New Jersey how much they would be willing to pay to allow an hour outdoors. Costly attempting to keep their numbers done.

Hence why it is called the BBQ stopper. It just becomes difficult to host one. I understand the mozzie has even found a home ion parts of Southern Europe. Will research more about that and just where and effects.

While likely to arrive via Far North Queensland it is thought to be able to life as far south as at least in Melbourne. (only during the summers or in green houses at a guess) But if that is so I'd think every where outside Tasmania could be affected at one stage?