Ill for 304 Days a Year

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

The average Briton only feels 100 per cent fit and healthy for 61 days of the year, it emerged yesterday.

For the rest of the time they are soldiering through four colds, one dose of flu, five cricked necks along with numerous other illnesses.

It means most of us operate at well below our best for almost ten months of the year.

A study found we suffer one bout of flu and four colds on average per year

The study of 2,000 people found one in four is permanently hampered by at least one ailment or injury which has not been resolved.

Worryingly, the research, commissioned by Spire Bristol Hospital, also found the average Brits feels 'run down' on at least two days every week.

Hospital director Rob Anderson said: 'It's surprising to see just how little of the year people consider themselves fully fit.

'If someone is plagued by a repeated problem they should talk to a healthcare professional to identify if it might be a symptom of something more serious.

'While people often like to see themselves as good at enduring pain and adopt a 'grin and bear it' approach, it's important to recognise what's easily treatable and can relieve us from a lot of unnecessary suffering day to day.

'Often small changes can make a huge difference to how healthy we feel - making sure you get enough sleep, eating a balanced diet, taking exercise. Cutting down on alcohol can reduce illness and increase energy levels, but sometimes only medical treatment will do.'

THE AILING ISLES: WHAT THE AVERAGE BRITON SUFFERS A YEAR

5 x cramps

1 x fainting

2 x pulled muscles

5 x cricked or sore neck

1 x nosebleed

2 x ear ache

1 x eye infection

2 x stitch

2 x toothache

2 x stubbed toe

3 x biting tongue

1 x verucas

1 x lost voice

2 x blisters

4 x sore throat

4 x cold

2 x mouth ulcer

2 x cold sores

1 x flu

The study also found the average person experiences eight bouts of illness a year - from coughs, colds and sore throats to the more debilitating sick bugs, flu and viruses, which leave us at full fitness for less than one fifth of the year.

One in four get regular headaches and one tenth are regularly in pain from an old sports-related injury.

Forty per cent are plagued by repeated colds and one in three struggles to shake repeated sore throats.

Four in ten people are forced to endure back pain, while two ear infections and five bouts of heartburn also weigh heavily on the average person each year.

Meanwhile we can expect one eye infection, wake up five times with a sore or cricked neck and will even bite our tongue three times in the average year.

While stubbed toes, toothache and mouth ulcers make the list of ailments we experience each and every year on top of the coughs, colds and long-term injuries that leave us feeling at our best for just 61 days of the year.

Unsurprisingly you are likely to feel your worst at 11.35am on a Monday and hit your healthiest point at Saturday lunchtime.

But some don't even get that - a quarter say they permanently have at least one source of pain that hampers them day to day.

Rob Anderson added: 'Anyone suffering from regular problems should visit their GP for a check-up. It's important to take health seriously and not ignore warning signs.'

I think when its dull, wet or gloomy you dont feel your best, i know i didnt and feel much happier waking up to a clear blue sky or sunshine. As for Flu ,the worst flu bout i have ever had was my first year over here, its the only time i have not genuinely been able to get out of bed.lol..

Cal x

Geeee.

I must be mega healthy. I have worked in my job for four years and in that time have had flu once, and a cold for one day. Had I think 2/3 days off sick in all that time.

I was no different in the uk. Never used to have sick days. I notice both here and the uk that certain people just get sick more. Who knows why, maybe if they have children?

If I DO get sick though I am a terrible pacient. When I had the flu (it was when swine flu was around, so not sure if it was that) I actually was thinking that if they told me I had to live the rest of my life like that I would rather die.

Some of the things on that list though were stupid. Veruca. I have never had one affect my life in any way other than having to wear swimming socks!

• 2 weeks later...

We are all in high risk places, me at a school, oh at a doctors surgery or hospital ward, son at kindergarten/childcare and daughter at childcare.:cry:

We get everything going around, I think those colds figures are far too low for us, we make up for northshorepom, blossom79 and another half a dozen of you.:biggrin: